More PS3 bad news...Japan launch units cut 20%

loup garou

Lifer
Feb 17, 2000
Text

Man, I hope somebody is videotaping the fanboys lined up on launch day, I predict some serious scuffling.

Does anyone think they can really pull off the US launch as announced at this point?

Hyperlite

Diamond Member
May 25, 2004
oh boy this is going to be good....now toss Godzilla into the mix and grab some popcorn.

Vortex22

Diamond Member
Sep 6, 2000
I thought they recently upped their prediction of #of systems at launch to meet the number Nintendo was giving? Guess that was just more marketing BS.

potato28

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2005
Originally posted by: Shawn
i laugh at sony's failures

So do I... Im gonna take a little video from the local toys r us and eb on the ps3's launch day. This should be good :D

neutralizer

Lifer
Oct 4, 2001
Originally posted by: Vortex22
I thought they recently upped their prediction of #of systems at launch to meet the number Nintendo was giving? Guess that was just more marketing BS.

What did you expect? It's Sony.

uhohs

Diamond Member
Oct 29, 2005
need video of opening day at those akihabara electronics stores. lol.

Queasy

Moderator<br>Console Gaming
Aug 24, 2001
Makes me wonder what the cut for the North American launch is going to be. 400,000 to what? 320,000?

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: Vortex22

They increased the number they expect to produce by March 07 to 6 million (same as Nintendo's official number), not the launch number as far as I know. I thought that number sounded fishy from the get-go considering their manufacturing problems. But I guess they'll need 6 million by March 07 to replace the first batch of defective untis. ;)

Extelleron

Diamond Member
Dec 26, 2005
Doesn't concern me too much. As long I can get one @ launch on the 17th (camping out at Walmart) and eBay it for a big profit, it doesn't matter what's going on in Japan. I'm surprised Sony is not taking 20,000 away from the NA launch, since they are a Japanese company afterall.

Queasy

Aug 24, 2001
Originally posted by: Extelleron
Doesn't concern me too much. As long I can get one @ launch on the 17th (camping out at Walmart) and eBay it for a big profit, it doesn't matter what's going on in Japan. I'm surprised Sony is not taking 20,000 away from the NA launch, since they are a Japanese company afterall.

They just haven't announced how much they are taking away from the NA launch yet. ;)

Queasy

Aug 24, 2001
Best Buy rumor from Kotaku.com

Finally, onto the PS3. I searched for the 20GB and 60GB models in the system, and what I found startles me. We have yet to order any systems from Sony. I checked district. Again, nothing. Apparently, the 400,000 Sony promised for the States isn't too stable for Best Buy to get their hands in.

yikes

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: randay
What they need to do is stop all this bullsh!t reselling crap.

Then they'd either need to release it when they have enough units filled to meet demand (something they obviously don't want to do) or raise the price to buy it initially. Personally I think they should jack up the price to $1500 right off the bat and drop it later. If people are willing to pay that much, then Sony should get the money, not scalpers. Sony invested the money in development, they assumed all of the risk, they deserve the profit. Scalpers assume no risk, because they'd just return it to the store if it doesn't sell for a profit.

But of course then Sony would be criticized for pricing it so high. "Think about the children!" Meh. Screw the children.

InlineFive

Diamond Member
Sep 20, 2003
Originally posted by: mugs

Then they'd either need to release it when they have enough units filled to meet demand (something they obviously don't want to do) or raise the price to buy it initially. Personally I think they should jack up the price to $1500 right off the bat and drop it later. If people are willing to pay that much, then Sony should get the money, not scalpers. Sony invested the money in development, they assumed all of the risk, they deserve the profit. Scalpers assume no risk, because they'd just return it to the store if it doesn't sell for a profit.

But of course then Sony would be criticized for pricing it so high. "Think about the children!" Meh. Screw the children.

People are already miffed about the high price, you think they would get any takers at $1500?

her34

Dec 4, 2004

delaying is the better option

Acanthus

Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
ostif.org
If sony wouldve just followed the REST OF THE PLANET and went with HD-DVD, they wouldnt have the problems they currently have.

They seriously havent had any good news for months solid, PS3, batteries, sales, they are failing across the board, i have no idea why their stock hasnt nosedove.

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
Originally posted by: InlineFive

People are already miffed about the high price, you think they would get any takers at $1500?

plenty on Ebay are paying that and more.

Mursilis

Diamond Member
Mar 11, 2001

Scalpers assume a fair bit of risk - camping out all night on the cold concrete in front of some store is investing time. I'm sure the person would otherwise spend that time doing something they actually enjoy. Isn't that what most employed people due - trade time for $$? And what if the demand is much less than expected? What if a store only has 10, and you're no. 11 in line? Someone would've camped out all night for nothing. There's risk involved, clearly; if there was no risk, everyone would be reselling PS3's on ebay, and if everyone were doing it, the ebay price would be the same as retail.