More problems with our water supply

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
Unsafe levels of PFOA were found in the water supply in NY around Hooksick, Petersburgh and North Bennington.

According to a timeline of events posted on the village’s website, the concerns about the water supply in Hoosick Falls first came to local officials’ attention in August 2014, when a resident requested that leaders test the water supply for PFOA.

The State Health Department told village officials that testing would not be necessary. After public pressure, local officials decided to test the water for PFOA anyway, finding that some of the village’s municipal wells contained water with dangerous levels of the compound.

They identified the likely source of the chemical as a local plant operated by Saint-Gobain, a French company which manufactures Teflon-coated material. Yet even as worry grew in Hoosick Falls, the Health Department told local officials last January that the amount of PFOA that had been found in the water supply “does not constitute an immediate health hazard,” though it recognized a need to “take measures to reduce it.”

Testing of wells near the plant in the summer and fall of 2015 showed more troubling signs, including a sample at 45 times the recommended short-term exposure.

The EPA knew by June at the latest (some reports claim they knew in 2014) that there were unsafe levels in the public drinking water supply but did not send out a public notice until mid-December:

a public warning from the E.P.A. in mid-December

And it wasn't until December that residents began using provided free bottled water in Hoosick. Some surrounding areas didn't get bottled water or water warnings until Feb.

This issue spans party lines (Cuomo is a democrat) and state and federal lines. It looks like too many parts of the system are broken to ensure safe access to a basic need. You can't trust local government or companies, you can't trust the state health dept to do its job and the EPA is just fine with letting you drink poisoned water for months if not years

Kinda makes me want to get my own water tested...

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/28/nyregion/new-york-testing-water-in-hoosick-falls-for-toxic-chemical.html
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/14/nyregion/pollutant-is-removed-from-water-in-hoosick-falls-ny-cuomo-says.html
https://www.epa.gov/sites/production/files/2015-12/documents/hoosickfallsmayorpfoa.pdf

KB

Diamond Member
Nov 8, 1999
How good does a filter kit have to be to filter the stuff out? This everpure is the one I use.

Depends on the size of the PFOA particle. Your filter removes particles > 0.5 micron.

According to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perfluorooctanoic_acid
"Residents who used water carbon filter systems had lower PFOA levels."; however I can't find anything that mentions the smallest particle size for PFOA. I suspect it filters some but not the smallest.

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004
I definitely place full blame for these new problems on that evil Republican Governor of Michigan! :p

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
Depends on the size of the PFOA particle. Your filter removes particles > 0.5 micron.

According to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perfluorooctanoic_acid
"Residents who used water carbon filter systems had lower PFOA levels."; however I can't find anything that mentions the smallest particle size for PFOA. I suspect it filters some but not the smallest.
Thanks. Not sure what I was supposed to look for. Obviously size is important but I would expect that the type of contaminate matters too.

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
How good does a filter kit have to be to filter the stuff out? This everpure is the one I use.

A quick internet search has me considering a reverse osmosis filter as it was the only thing that filtered out some sort of water contaminant. I think it has a larger lead filtration and does pesticides.

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
A quick internet search has me considering a reverse osmosis filter as it was the only thing that filtered out some sort of water contaminant. I think it has a larger lead filtration and does pesticides.
I haven't heard that we have a problem here but neither did Flint. ATM, I'm happy to not smell chlorine in my drinking water.

If I remember, I'll ask my bro what reverse osmosis system he recommends.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
Well we can't certainly blame the Republicans for blocking funding from fixing infrastructure problems now can we. It's not like the power of the purse rests solely in the hands of Congress and it's not like repubs have had a majority of both houses for the last five years. Besides, it's been the Republicans this whole time who have been complaining and demanding fixes to our infrastructure!

/s

If you believe any of that then I recommend exercising your 2nd amendment rights on yourself.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Well we can't certainly blame the Republicans for blocking funding from fixing infrastructure problems now can we. It's not like the power of the purse rests solely in the hands of Congress and it's not like repubs have had a majority of both houses for the last five years. Besides, it's been the Republicans this whole time who have been complaining and demanding fixes to our infrastructure!

/s

If you believe any of that then I recommend exercising your 2nd amendment rights on yourself.

Right on cue, the apologist drops by to blame state problems on the other team, even though his team runs that state. You're a sad little degenerate.

Dude111

Golden Member
Jan 19, 2010
Alex jones said they were gonna start attacking our water supply and sure enough its happening!!

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
Right on cue, the apologist drops by to blame state problems on the other team, even though his team runs that state. You're a sad little degenerate.

If many states have budget issues how do you think fixing the nation's infrastructure will be fixed and more importantly paid for? By the federal government of course.

If you weren't so god damn stupid, you'd fucking know this! Instead all you seem capable of doing is chiming into every thread just to tell others how partisan they are. Your shtick is tiring and old.

Btw, did you even bother reading the OP? He said it spanned state lines, guess what that means?

Stay stupid!

Last edited:

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
I'd rather spend my tax dollars bombing brown skinned people into the stone age.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
If many states have budget issues how do you think fixing the nation's infrastructure will be fixed and more importantly paid for? By the federal government of course.

If you weren't so god damn stupid, you'd fucking know this! Instead all you seem capable of doing is chiming into every thread just to tell others how partisan they are. Your shtick is tiring and old.

Btw, did you even bother reading the OP? He said it spanned state lines, guess what that means?

Stay stupid!

LOL, ivwshane.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003

Stay stupid!

:rolleyes:

No. Why should I and others pay for this?

If, as claimed, Saint-Gobain is responsible the EPA should fine them for remediation costs.

The EPA is under the exec branch; that would be Obama.

Fern

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
:rolleyes:

No. Why should I and others pay for this?

If, as claimed, Saint-Gobain is responsible the EPA should fine them for remediation costs.

The EPA is under the exec branch; that would be Obama.

Fern

Let me help you understand the issue, which I guess I wasn't clear about.
Failing infrastructure isn't a localized issue, it's a national issue. We will continue to hear more and more issues like this the longer we continue to ignore this problem. States can't fix these issues on their own, their budgets are still shot, that leaves the only option to take on this issue is to rely on the federal government for funding.

Do you get it now?

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
Let me help you understand the issue, which I guess I wasn't clear about.
Failing infrastructure isn't a localized issue, it's a national issue. We will continue to hear more and more issues like this the longer we continue to ignore this problem. States can't fix these issues on their own, their budgets are still shot, that leaves the only option to take on this issue is to rely on the federal government for funding.

Do you get it now?

This thread is about pollutants in the water supply.

As to the broader issue of potable water infrastructure; the consumers should pay. This applies to both private and public water works. I have to pay for my own water all by myself (private well). I do not feel that I should also pay for others. Over here water dept are county by county. Those hooked up should pay.

This, water service infrastructure, should not be paid by the federal govt.

So yes, some aspects of failing infrastructure are a "localized issue".

Fern

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000

As to the broader issue of potable water infrastructure; the consumers should pay. This applies to both private and public water works. I have to pay for my own water all by myself (private well). I do not feel that I should also pay for others. Over here water dept are county by county. Those hooked up should pay.

Fern

Spoken like a true, "fuck you I got mine", baby boomer. I for one think that the job of the federal government is to see to the general welfare of its citizens. I also happen to believe that access to clean water happens to fall under that general welfare clause. So when states are unable to pay for such things I believe it is the federal governments job to step in to make this right.

But I guess that's where you and I differ, you'd let your fellow American die or get sick while they wait for the water company/local gov/state to fix the issue where I believe the American people shouldn't have to wait for such basic things.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000

Fern

So you dont think you should pay? We had to pay to run electrical lines out to your hillbilly ass. We had to subsidize internet access and telephone lines. We have to subsidize your mail service. So why do you deserve all of that but because you have well water you feel you shouldnt pay taxes for city pipes? Eh? You are the worst kind of human.

mysticjbyrd

Golden Member
Oct 6, 2015
People in my area get a letter in the mail every year informing the the public water doesn't meet health standards.

I am glad I have a natural spring on my property.

So you dont think you should pay? We had to pay to run electrical lines out to your hillbilly ass. We had to subsidize internet access and telephone lines. We have to subsidize your mail service. So why do you deserve all of that but because you have well water you feel you shouldnt pay taxes for city pipes? Eh? You are the worst kind of human.

Hillbilly is very offensive. That is OUR word!