More on AMD's 45nm

Viditor

Diamond Member
Oct 25, 1999
Article

"IBM and AMD presented papers describing the use of immersion lithography, ultra-low-K interconnect dielectrics, and multiple enhanced transistor strain techniques for application to the 45nm microprocessor process generation. AMD and IBM expect the first 45nm products using immersion lithography and ultra-low-K interconnect dielectrics to be available in mid-2008"

And on whether or nor they can achieve it by mid-2008

CNet article

"One of the big questions in the chip industry today is whether Advanced Micro Devices can make the hop to 45-nanometer manufacturing in 18 months, as the company has promised. One prominent analyst says that, so far, the chances look good"..."AMD (and its development partner IBM) have reduced the defect density, the measure of defects per square centimeter) on its test 45-nanometer chips. "The big issue is defects, which IBM and AMD seem to have a leg up on,"

Furen

Golden Member
Oct 21, 2004
The big issues are capital investment and FAB space. Unless AMD has a new FAB up and running by then it won't be able to afford shutting down part of a FAB for retrofitting...

aka1nas

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2001
Originally posted by: j00fek
Originally posted by: Furen
The big issues are capital investment and FAB space. Unless AMD has a new FAB up and running by then it won't be able to afford shutting down part of a FAB for retrofitting...

new fab will be operational by 2012

new fab plans in new york

AMD will go bankrupt if they wait until 2012 to get .45nm running. :p

Isn't Fab 30(Original Dresden fab) still producing 90nm chips? I would imagine that in 18 months, AMD will have all their product lines converted to .65 and could refit this fab.

hardwareking

May 19, 2006
i really don't get why they are talkin about 45nm when they barely have 65nm going smooth.Just like ATI talkin about R700 and modular architecture when they don't even have R600 out.
Well a new fab is essential if AMD want to remain competitive with intel.I wonder what socket 45nm athlons will use.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Originally posted by: hardwareking
i really don't get why they are talkin about 45nm when they barely have 65nm going smooth.Just like ATI talkin about R700 and modular architecture when they don't even have R600 out.

Exactly. Anyone seen any Brisbanes on the market yet? I haven't and I'm still looking . . .

Duvie

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2001
Often times these fabs only have a few retooling opportunities. I have seen them mothballs buildings ater 2 times retooling. The design is getting better in terms of the construction and flexibility of these buildings. However often times these new processes and machines take more or different types of space requirements and supply lines, and sometimes the space to get those items are not available or cost prohibitive.

intel will shell old fabs or just use them to build less high tech components. Not every component of electronics is even using close to .45nm chip parts. Often times you can make chips for cell phones, appliances, and other high tech gagdetry using a much more dated 130 to 90nm design...

aka1nas

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2001
I would have thought that they would use the 90nm fab for GPUs as they switch the CPUs over the 65nm, but the current speculation is that they are going straight to 80nm for the next series of Radeon cards.

Duvie

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2001
It makes more sense cause didn't that fab produce 130nm parts at one time as well? Going from 130-90-65-45 would have been substantial cost of upgrading and retrofitting let alone very difficult to accomodate with newer technologies...

I have worked on Developmental fabs at Ronler Acres in Oregon...Fabs like D1a-D1b-d1d...They use these fabs to perfect construction designs, tooling configurations, etc. They often run out of effectiveness as well and usually get ramped up to fab status. Older fabs have been converted to other technologies as well...They have to try to get a return on these facilities as long as possible....D1b was built and completed in 1997-98 (construction end at least)---it was converted to fab status I think in 2002 while D1c had just been completed...At 400mill for the building alone and likely 1 bill at least in tools you better try to get a decade out of them at least...

Viditor

Diamond Member
Oct 25, 1999
Originally posted by: aka1nas
Originally posted by: j00fek
Originally posted by: Furen

new fab will be operational by 2012

new fab plans in new york

AMD will go bankrupt if they wait until 2012 to get .45nm running. :p

Isn't Fab 30(Original Dresden fab) still producing 90nm chips? I would imagine that in 18 months, AMD will have all their product lines converted to .65 and could refit this fab.

Called Fab 38 now...and yes, it's getting pretty close to being finished. It should be complete by the end of Q2 and will be starting with 45nm and 65nm on 300mm. As Fab 36 ramps up, it is converted.
The Fab in NY is for sub-32nm and will most likely be a different process than immersion lithography...maybe nano-tech (IBM currently leads in the research on this, which is another good reason to be in NY)?

i really don't get why they are talkin about 45nm when they barely have 65nm going smooth
For the same reason Intel has been...to keep confidence that they have timely and competitive solutions going forward.