More Lies, This Time From Laura Bush!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Dec 27, 2001
I could tell when I heard the poem that he didn't write it. Why would he call Chirac a charming frenchman? Also, Bush's face at the time should have had a sheepish expression, but he looked more confused.

It sounded obviously contrived, but, hey, the libbies aren't know for being very perceptive so I can see how this would be a shocker.

P.S. That site is tripe.

Gaard

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
My favotite part of the article is the last paragraph. Lots of good links. ;)

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
Slate/Chatterbox comments

Comment. This lie is about an obviously trivial matter, and there's something endearing about the first lady's undisguised pleasure at conning so many people. Still, it is not only a lie, but an entirely gratuitous one?Mrs. Bush's remarks about the joys of reading didn't need the anecdote, and arguably were undermined by its mawkishness. Of particular interest is the apparent aim of Mrs. Bush's hoax. Ordinarily, when a surrogate tries to pass off a fake quotation as a president's actual words, the quotation is meant to make the president sound scholarly, or witty, or lapidary. In this case, though, whatever White House staffer prepared Mrs. Bush's remarks obviously strained to make the president's purported love poem sound sufficiently moronic that no one would doubt Bush had written it. Chatterbox doesn't know what to make of this.

This looks about as bad as Hillary's lies about Chelsea's location on 9/11 ...

rickn

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 1999
read my lips, no new poems from GW

It's a crapshoot to believe anything that comes from the Bush family. That family is a mess. Jeb's daughter is always in court or in jail, GW has two girls, that it wouldn't surprise me will some day be featured on Girls gone Wild -- topless