More Games Should be Like Far Cry 3

flexy

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2001
I can't get over how good a game Far Cry 3 is, I am really hooked playing. I am still playing the original FC 3 and can't wait to get Blood Dragon once I played it through. (Yes I know, I am late :)

The first FC way back I didn't find that cool, it was more like your typical shooter with "pretty graphics", but with FC3 i really love the open world aspect of it and how the "story" is blended with freedom what you do on the island. It's just the right mix and you can play it at your own pace, I hate those "scripted" type of games and I am also so sick of the "run off the mill" shooters. FC3 has good elements of RPGs but you can also play it like a shooter/action game. Or you can just spend hunting and crafting and then decide when you want to pick up with the main story line again.

For example, two days ago I had this encounter with the "ink monster" but realized that I placed my skills not smartly, I needed more skill points in the health three etc. to do this fight. So I spent a day hunting and crafting, doing all kinds of side missions....got some great items as rewards from the Path of the Hunter quests...more XP, skills etc...and then I decided to attempt the Ink monster again and could beat it.

I just love the freedom in the game, almost all aspects of it. More games should be like it.

desura

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2013
I haven't played FC3, but I was realizing like how much fun it is having a game where you're not just channeled into pre-canned events. I think that was why I liked World of Warcraft so much but otherwise can't stand most ARPG's

TheSlamma

Diamond Member
Sep 6, 2005
I haven't played FC3, but I was realizing like how much fun it is having a game where you're not just channeled into pre-canned events. I think that was why I liked World of Warcraft so much but otherwise can't stand most ARPG's
jrpg's are the emperors of pre-canned events.. I was gonna say master but that word is not strong enough for the level of domination those games have over it. ;)

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
the problem with open world games is that it usually ends up being repetitive. there's not enough to do. I can't tell how much time I spend in FC3 going after loot and letters. It gets boring after awhile, especially if there are no enemies to fight.

sure, i can go play poker or do races in FC3 but I have no interest in that. Ill play a racing game or a poker game if I want to do that.

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
the problem with open world games is that it usually ends up being repetitive. there's not enough to do. I can't tell how much time I spend in FC3 going after loot and letters. It gets boring after awhile, especially if there are no enemies to fight.

sure, i can go play poker or do races in FC3 but I have no interest in that. Ill play a racing game or a poker game if I want to do that.

There's some mods, one of them makes it so that you can flip a switch at each base, and when you restart the game, the base is enemy again.

Lonyo

Lifer
Aug 10, 2002
GTA, Boiling Point, Fallout 3/Vegas.
Is the Just Cause series similar?

Some are not strict "FPS" games, but FO3/NV can almost be played like it.
The idea has been used in a variety of action genres already, and it's better to have a variety of game types than all being the same sort of game.

Markbnj

Elite Member <br>Moderator Emeritus
Sep 16, 2005
www.markbetz.net
I enjoyed FC3, mostly because of the gorgeous environment. But the gameplay itself was pretty lame. Loot containers full of useless icons, dozens of identical "kill him with a knife" side missions, complete god-mode combat. Perhaps the lamest thing was how the main story missions each devolved into a semi-interactive cut-scene at the climactic moment. Mash space! Now mash E! Mash space again! You win! Honestly sneaking to the towers, figuring out how to climb them, and then taking out the nearby bases was most of the fun. They could have left the whole story out.

marmasatt

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2003
I couldn't agree more with OP. This is like the perfect game for me. Has the open world feeling of the Stalker series that I enjoy. It has freedom to play as you like. The graphics are fantastic.

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
I do wish there were more open-world, mission-based FPS.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. was the first game that really changed the way I thought about the possibilities of FPS.

I had played Fallout 3 before that, but the combat and FPS mechanics in it were so terrible I never enjoyed playing the game.

I agree with you......I wish there were more games like this.

You hear a lot of people say that it gets "repetitive," but the point is you have the choice of making it that way. Any of these games will let you stick to the main storyline and beeline straight through it if you want.

Really, there are only a handful of these games that fall into this genre compared to the plethora of linear shooters and typical RPG's.

STALKER
FarCry
Deus Ex: Human Revolution
Borderlands
Fallout

That's about it.

I don't count 3rd person adventure games like Just Cause. It is a totally different dynamic, and I generally don't like them (I HATE looking over some guy's shoulder the whole time). It also means crappy gun-handling mechanics (or a complete lack thereof) and cross-hair aiming.

Carfax83

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 2010
Far Cry 3 is a great game, with a craptastic engine. It's a shame Ubisoft used their own in house engine, rather than something like the CryEngine 3 or even Frostbite 2 engine.

HeXen

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2009
Meh. I never finished it, got bored by the time I got to burn the hootchie plants down. Skryim is how an open world game should be.

dust

Golden Member
Oct 13, 2008
I think Far Cry is still >>>> Far Cry 3.

TBH I find Far Cry 3 very similar to 2, aside from the hunting, the lack of re-spawns (at least after taking the base in an area), the weapon degradation and, of course, the environment. Gameplay wise, it's still repetitive - go there, kill everything, then go over there, kill everything, when you are done, just go there and kill, again, everything. If not for Vaas, or the guy that bought your friend (can't remember his name now)- you would have had Far Cry 2 all over again, in a prettier place.

Not that I mind, I was one of the few that actually liked Far Cry 2, but I don't get how this one was so well received and the second one wasn't.

Anyway, the way I see it, the first one is better than both of them combined.

JamesV

Platinum Member
Jul 9, 2011
I enjoyed the original Far Cry alot more than Far Cry 3.

I absolutely hated the console setup of the menus in Far Cry 3. The only thing more annoying than having to hit 6 keys to get to a crafting item, is having to reset buff items ala D-pad style.

I also found the enviroment quite generic. Sure the bases and spots are different, but they all play the same. After doing a few bases, you know how all the rest are going to be; same with hunts, etc.

It just feels like a sandbox with the same uninteresting points of interest scattered around.

HeXen

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2009
I think Far Cry is still >>>> Far Cry 3.

TBH I find Far Cry 3 very similar to 2, aside from the hunting, the lack of re-spawns (at least after taking the base in an area), the weapon degradation and, of course, the environment. Gameplay wise, it's still repetitive - go there, kill everything, then go over there, kill everything, when you are done, just go there and kill, again, everything. If not for Vaas, or the guy that bought your friend (can't remember his name now)- you would have had Far Cry 2 all over again, in a prettier place.

Not that I mind, I was one of the few that actually liked Far Cry 2, but I don't get how this one was so well received and the second one wasn't.

Anyway, the way I see it, the first one is better than both of them combined.

FC2 actually had some better textures, even on a particular plant where it was in both games. I don't know why they didn't just import some of that stuff instead of recreating a crappier version of it. Wood grain and all that stuff, even the texture used for objects like Radio's was superior in FC2 as I did some screenshot comparisons for another forum. Odd they did it the way they did considering it's the same damned engine.

futurefields

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2012
FC2 actually had some better textures, even on a particular plant where it was in both games. I don't know why they didn't just import some of that stuff instead of recreating a crappier version of it. Wood grain and all that stuff, even the texture used for objects like Radio's was superior in FC2 as I did some screenshot comparisons for another forum. Odd they did it the way they did considering it's the same damned engine.

FC2 has higher res textures for sure, but I think FC3 has a much larger variety of textures and this is probably the reason why they are lower resolution. Both games had to fit on PS3 as well as PC.

desura

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2013
on the topic of Crytech games...

Crysis 2 is better than Crysis 1. By a lot, actually.

alcoholbob

Diamond Member
May 24, 2005
I disagree

Crysis 2 has respawning enemies. I stopped playing that game after an hour, I beat Crysis 1 twice :D

Also the graphics in 1 are better.

lilrayray69

Apr 4, 2013
I didn't think FC3 had much replay value. The hunting/crafting part was pretty straight forward and dumbed down, not much to it. I didn't really see a point in just collecting letters and doing side missions - there are like what 3 types of side missions and you repeat them over and over. The story was kinda cool but I just finished it and that was that.

Kind of the same for Skyrim too. It had more variation in the side quests and stuff, but still once it's done it's done...mods and some DLCs made it last longer but I haven't fired up Skyrim or FC3 in some months.

Reliant

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2001
I feel like I'm the opposite, I want more focused games. I appreciate freedom in games, but sometimes I want a long narrative otherwise I end up feeling like I'm doing the same thing over and over again, and I lose interest.

Via

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2009
So FC 3 isn't that bad?

I had heard so many negative things that I've sort of ignored it. Maybe I'll pick it up during a Steam sale. No more than 10 bucks, though.

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
I really liked Morrowind and Fallout 3 as "open worlds" compared to Oblivion (lots of repeated ruin, cavern and fort layouts all over the place, and almost-barren wilderness, that is under vanilla conditions and without mods) or even compared to Skyrim or FarCry 2 (although Skyrim is superior to Oblivion in almost every aspects you can imagine). Give me Morrowind-style atmosphere, open world and freedom with FC3's or CryEngine 3's capabilities and I'd be very happy.

It's a matter of personal tastes in the end though. I played some FarCry 3 on my cousin's 360, it's decent, but I prefer Borderlands (1 & 2) when it comes to combining linear questing (to some degree) and open environments (more like a really big map, with linear quests, but that's ok with me). In my opinion Borderlands 2 has some of the best balance between linearity and freedom of movement and exploration (not too much of it, and just enough to care about it and not get lost, or be intimidated by the size or scale of said environment and freedom which might otherwise turn some people off).

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011

I loved FarCry2. There's a lot of things I think it did much better (interesting AI being one of them). I think the environment was also more varied and interesting.

I think the gun-handling and movement mechanics of FC3 were really improved, though.

FC2 had its faults for sure, but I think it was a great game.

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
...but I prefer Borderlands (1 & 2) when it comes to combining linear questing (to some degree) and open environments (more like a really big map, with linear quests, but that's ok with me). In my opinion Borderlands 2 has some of the best balance between linearity and freedom of movement and exploration (not too much of it, and just enough to care about it and not get lost, or be intimidated by the size or scale of said environment and freedom which might otherwise turn some people off).

You know, I had this friend that begged me for months to get BL2. I told him it just wasn't my kind of game (I thought it looked really arcadey and a bit ADHD with the combat).

I finally picked it up and I love it.....and I really didn't expect to. I like dark, serious, FPS like Metro and Stalker.

The story and characters are very interesting (really, GREAT characters), and the voice acting is just spot-on. A lot of wit and subtle humor with the dialog and production. I have to admit that I'm having a ton of fun playing co-op as well.

HeXen

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2009
Gimmicks. It was cool to see a game where you cut a shark and pull out some guts to craft something the first couple of times, but it gets old quick. Many games seem to be full of such gimmicks with no depth, like a bunch of generic mini games strapped in.
That's what I hated about San Andreas, they just threw in tons of mini games, like playing billiards or bowling for example, shame it's never near as good as an actual pool or bowling game.