*More free photo tools, Photoshop info, Anti-Trojan, Imaging thread*, free digital pic recovery from flashmedia!

episodic

Lifer
Feb 7, 2004
Thanks for the sticky!

The list is getting quite long. If you see something broken, post it in the thread, or send me a pm and I'll fix it - thanks for your help on that one :)

If you know of anything that belongs here, let me know!

First before you defrag, why don't you clean out your harddrive and see what is taking up all that space.
I find sequoiaview to be the essential program to do just that - check it out. NEW!

http://www.win.tue.nl/sequoiaview/

Defragging information, links, and programs

• Microsoft Knowledgebase on XP command line defrag options
    Link
  • Hiberfile.sys and degfrag
    Link
  • Langa Article on how to make winxp self maintaining
    Link
  • Defrag tricks from Langa
    link
  • A microsoft knowledge base article on files you cannot defrag
    Link
  • Enable Microsoft's built in boot time defrag
    ***ONLY DO THIS IF YOU ARE COMFORTABLE WITH THE REGISTRY***
    Start Regedit. If you are unfamiliar with regedit please refer to our
    FAQ on how to get started.
    Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftDfrgBootOptimiz
    eFunction
    Select Enable from the list on the right.
    Right on it and select Modify.
  • Up to date article on defragging
    Link
  • Add defrag to WinXP right click menu
    Link
  • Information about Windows XP defrag and automation
    Link
  • XP Defrag hint
    Defrag in Safe Mode.
    Toggle F8 or Press Ctrl ( depends on your comp ) during bootup ( just
    before, verifying DMI pool, message comes on )
    Select Safe Mode. This prevents other things from slowing the built in defrag.
  • Comparison of some commercial defraggers and analysis
    link
  • How defrag works - for the newb :)
    Link 1
    Link 2
    Link 3

• Hint for Win98SE Users
    Link
    Try a google search for windows me defrag download, the me defrager is much
    faster than the 98 one and is compatible, but ONLY for fat32 drives. The defrag program that shipped with WinME is purported to be much quicker and compatible with 98SE.
  • More Win98 information
    Link
  • Excellent description of errors and problems and how to deal with them on Win98 with defrag and scandisk.
    Link
  • Where is defrag in Linux???
    Short answer is that it is not needed. . . for an excellent detail reason why see link below.
    Link
  • Thread I found on OSX and defragging
    Link
  • Speed up your IPOD - with defragging - a how to.
    Link
  • Why defragging your MEMORY is a hoax
    Link
Free Defrag Software

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
Looks to be a solid post.

Too bad it will probably not stop the searchless from starting more "what defrag prog is teh best???" threads.

WildHorse

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2003
Suggest you set up a standardized test and compare the performance of free & pay defraggers, results reported here.

IMHO, after experimenting with several, the absolute very best I've ever used is VOPT from Golden Bow, but alas it cost$.

flexy

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2001
very nice information here.

Personally i use PerfectDisk for a long time (it's great!) and right now i am evaluating Diskeeper 10's "i-faast' method to see what it does. Usually i am *not* a big friend of Diskeeper. Anyway DK i-faast CLAIMS that they use algorithms for analyzing, eg. most accessed etc - so i want to check out how it does in real life.

From what i know mst-defrag is also very nice and relatively cheap - looks solid and has nice features.

episodic

Lifer
Feb 7, 2004
Originally posted by: Todd33
So which is the best solution, the built in XP one?

In my opinion, I have tried oodefrag, perfectdisk trial, the built in xp one, and buzzsaw/dirms - I honestly believe my system is MUCH quicker using that combo.

You defrag once every couple of months with dirms. Dirms takes like a day to defrag - but it removes all free space - it makes ALL files contiguous. It takes forever and is much more complete of a defrag.

After that I keep buzzsaw running in my tray. Buzzsaw defrags on the fly and keeps the dirms defrag nearly perfect. Then every few months I run dirms again.

That is what I use.

Also, I can tell you this - my wife's system
Athlon XP 2200
1 gig ram
80 gig 7200 IDE Maxtor

When she use to boot the SIMS II with all her addins (the reason it is so slow) it took 4 minutes 37 seconds.

After dirms and buzzsaw less than 3 minutes.

Thats as much performance testing that I can do.

flexy

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2001
i have to say i am very pleased with Diskeeper 10 with the i-faast method after i used PerfectDisk for years.

more info regarding i-faast:
http://www.diskeepereurope.com/assets/_...apers/disk_performance_calibration.pdf

is a more or less technical explanation and seems to be promising.

I also very much like the fact HOW DK10 consolidates free space - because now, finally, my free space gap (on a 85% full HD) is not at the slower end of the HD but is in the first 3rd (which should be faster).

I just do NOT like the scheduling because (the irony) of course it always kicks in when i dont expect it and i am missing a feature to quickly disable DK for gaming etc. so i wont get surprised by the defrag kicking in while playing HL2:DM :)
So i have to stick with disabling the service. I am more a friend of the "defrag manually NOW, go for dinner, then come back and it's done :)"

But then DK's philosophy is different and is more based on frequent runs.
But overall seen the results are good

episodic

Lifer
Feb 7, 2004
How much demand is there for a comprehensive photoshop section? I'm debating where to focus energy next, and I know alot about photoshop. I just want to make sure there is some demand for this.

KoolDrew

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
It is good to see you trying to help out the community, but why do we need a whole topic on defragging? Defragging doesn't give you any tangible gains anyway, except for in cases where the drive is extremely fragmented.