More FBI spying.

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
Good. I hope the FBI is spying on every government employee, from mayors to congressmen.

Our own government has screwed over America more than OBL could ever hope to do.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: bamacre
Good. I hope the FBI is spying on every government employee, from mayors to congressmen.

Our own government has screwed over America more than OBL could ever hope to do.

Why stop at Congress, add in the White House.

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
Originally posted by: sandorski
Originally posted by: bamacre

Why stop at Congress, add in the White House.

Sure, even better.

wetech

Jul 16, 2002
Originally posted by: dainthomas
http://www.oregonlive.com/news/oregonia...?/base/news/114852750830460.xml&coll=7

I'm so glad Bin Laden has been caught, so now we can focus on the critical security issue of how the City of Portland is run. Of course just asking the city or even looking on their website would have been totally out of the question.

I don't see what's wrong with this, and I would hardly call it spying. The article even states how the woman asked the agent if she could talk to her supervisor about their meeting and he agreed. Sounds like a real clandestine operation to me.

In response to your Bin Laden line, I don't think that all other investigations / FBI resources would have to stop or be diverted to that end.

And as far as "Asking the city," isn't that exactly what was being done?

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
Originally posted by: wetech
http://www.oregonlive.com/news/oregonia...?/base/news/114852750830460.xml&coll=7

I'm so glad Bin Laden has been caught, so now we can focus on the critical security issue of how the City of Portland is run. Of course just asking the city or even looking on their website would have been totally out of the question.

I don't see what's wrong with this, and I would hardly call it spying. The article even states how the woman asked the agent if she could talk to her supervisor about their meeting and he agreed. Sounds like a real clandestine operation to me.

In response to your Bin Laden line, I don't think that all other investigations / FBI resources would have to stop or be diverted to that end.

What is wrong about this is that the FBI is apparently not investigating a crime or allegation of a crime. There may be more to it, and they may have some evidence that a crime has taken place, in that case its fine.
But if not it violates the Constitution and not just looks like Fascism/Communist tactics it is exactly how things are done in those type of governments.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Originally posted by: techs

What is wrong about this is that the FBI is apparently not investigating a crime or allegation of a crime. There may be more to it, and they may have some evidence that a crime has taken place, in that case its fine.
But if not it violates the Constitution and not just looks like Fascism/Communist tactics it is exactly how things are done in those type of governments.
I could find nowhere in the article where it states that the FBUI was investigating something and also where it stated that they had no reason for doing so.

The article does indicate that there is bad blood between the two entities.

as a law experrt stated
"It's true that federal agents, not just from the FBI, are encouraged to develop sources. But most of the time they've already received some kind of specific tip or the business or institution is one that would inevitably be of interest," said John Kroger, a former federal prosecutor and assistant law professor at Lewis & Clark College.

"I've never heard of the FBI trying to open up a source in a state or local government without having a reason to suspect there's been wrongdoing. From an intergovernmental relations point of view, it's disastrous. The whole thing is bizarre."

So either there is a potential problem or the tree is being shaken to see what falls out.

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004

"Asking the city" does not mean meeting a low level city employee for coffee. It usually involves going through official channels such as the mayor's office or city council.

Not saying this is going to stop us from catching Bin Laden, but why does the FBI appear to have so much free time on its hands? Don't our hard working agents have anything better to do? Whatever the actual reason is, this gives the appearance of the FBI trying to get back at the city for that whole JTTF debacle.