More details about Russia's attack on the US become available

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
Certainly so, but the real questions are how and why this happened and what to do about it. The scientific evidence, I think, suggests that it is fear creates a conservative mentality. Do we live in a culture that promotes fear? If so how does that happen and what can help to reduce it? If you think there are other things to look at I would be willing to listen.

I think you're on to the right approach. Trump himself has of course exacerbated existing fear and added new ones, and has done so intentionally to offer himself as the solution to this fear. That one is obvious. But there are other sources of fear. So what do you think we fear?

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Azuma Hazuki: There is no easy answer,:

M: Indeed, but if there were they would have been found long ago.

AH: But I have noticed two things. 1) Knowledge defeats fear and 2) "Conservatism" not only as we have it but the world over is the deadly foe of spreading knowledge.

M: Neuroscience, studying the physical differences in liberal and conservative brains, have noticed that there are in particular two areas that differ, that conservatives have larger right amydalae and that they have smaller cingulates. The former is involved with the flight or fight response and the later with the suppression of emotions while reasoning. This has led to the conjecture that conservatives are more susceptible to feelings of fear and less able to suppress it while reasoning. Experimental data backs up those theories, namely that conservatives are more likely than liberals to rationalize away threatening information, even scientific information, if that information causes unpleasant or desonate emotional experiences. Conservatives create alternate realities where they feel safe more than liberals feel that need.

AH: It also tends to change its followers' mindsets such that they don't go looking for knowledge to begin with.

M: That is entirely consistent with having a conservative brain.

AH: So what we have here is a positive feedback cycle.

I call it a mental prison. The fact is that we are prisoners because our self flattering world views when wrong can't be challenged because that would bring pain.

AH: And, sorry to say, I don't think it can't be stopped after a certain point in someone's life, at least not without massive personal suffering.

M: I think only deep curiosity or deep consiously experienced suffering can bring change, as well as perhaps an accidental of family related experience of love for somebody who is theoretically a threat to ones beliefs but hasn't proved to be. But we have an expression that says God works in mysterious ways, which to me means we humans don't understand everything.

One thing I will say, however, is that knowledge can defeat fear because knowledge is a superior condition and the love of knowledge was written into our genes. It can be perverted by fear but it can't ever be eradicated. Humans are born scientiatropic, if I can invent a world.

We can lose a battle but never the war.

agent00f

Lifer
Jun 9, 2016
My excuse is that when you talk to a degenerate he will tell you you're the degenerate or a degenerate apologist etc. You don't know much so everything has to be shoehorned into your limited world view. Now you can turn that one around on me and tell me I shoehorned you into mine. Not that you have been called an idiot, a putz and a degenerate with a tiny tiny scope to your world view, we will see just how easily your are shamed and driven off of the scene. Bye bye, asshole! Hehehehehe!

I know, I know, agent Orange, you degenerates are all the same. You just know how to deflect. with that mighty I know you are but what am I. Few are so apt as you in talking to themselves. The world sucks, you know, because you do. You are the world. Everything that is, is your projection. Pull your head out of your asshole and look for the good in people.

Great job demonstrating the similarity between your mindset and buckshot's; I do love being right.

I think you're on to the right approach. Trump himself has of course exacerbated existing fear and added new ones, and has done so intentionally to offer himself as the solution to this fear. That one is obvious. But there are other sources of fear. So what do you think we fear?

Those confederate types sure "feared" black people enough to put them to work, and nazis sure "feared" the jews. I'm glad you guys agree with the right wing about who're the Real victims.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999

Let me begin by saying that while I think I know what we fear, that knowledge does not mean I have personally transcended that fear. I am just a nobody who maybe has had some atypical experiences. I used to feel utter black hopelessness and it drove me mercilessly to question why and seek answers to that question. I experienced something that put that all to bed. Then I met somebody who I was sure had gone very much farther than I had, a psychoanalyst who had had more analysis himself, he said, than anybody else and in the process discovered that he hated himself and that this is a universal condition, one I also confirmed. He, however, was as he said, 99.999% sure he had transcended via reliving his entire traumatic past. All I can say is that he was like nobody else I have ever met.

Anyway a lot of what I know I learned from him. That is why I would say that what we really fear above all else is to experience love because we feel, were made to feel, we do not deserve it. We were made to hate ourselves as children, instead, by being put down as children, we were psychically murdered, and it was our openness and love that made us vulnerable to that. We are determined to never let that happen again.

The form which that resistance takes is ego and competitiveness. We are driven to be better than others in any way we can because it helps to mask our feelings of worthlessness.

In America, we have make our disease a national occupation, competing with others and wining. That is who Trump says he is, a winner who can make America great again. He offers what we crave, to be on a wining team so we can deny the real truth of what we feel, that we are worthless, that we deserve nothing.

I am sorry the truth is so bleak, but we will never get past it without facing the facts. In our desire to deny what we feel, we are all conservatives driven by deep emotional terror.

This is the general situation. It manifests in every aspect of out lives only some of which are political.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
agent00f: Great job demonstrating the similarity between your mindset and buckshot's; I do love being right.

M: You are very luck then because like all other demonizing conservative brain defective, you will always be right in your own mind. Naturally you deserve the same kindness they do since you are only a machine who has been programmed that way to survive. People who love themselves don't love being right, they love knowing the truth.

A: Those confederate types sure "feared" black people enough to put them to work, and nazis sure "feared" the jews. I'm glad you guys agree with the right wing about who're the Real victims. Both those cultures were utterly destroyed by their own fear. If you act out against others you open yourself to just retribution. Evil is only to happy to jump the gun. Not many of us would be alive if people didn't think as I do.

agent00f

Lifer
Jun 9, 2016
agent00f: Great job demonstrating the similarity between your mindset and buckshot's; I do love being right.

M: You are very luck then because like all other demonizing conservative brain defective, you will always be right in your own mind. Naturally you deserve the same kindness they do since you are only a machine who has been programmed that way to survive. People who love themselves don't love being right, they love knowing the truth.

Just like the conservatives your instinctive move is accuse others of what you're guilty of. Perfectly demonstrated by "always be right in your own mind" despite trivially contradicted by basic grade school history. This is simply a matter of fact, which you'll then predictable try to divert just like they do by posting irrelevant bullshit, in your case it's comically trite armchair psychology.

Your fundamental inability to learn anything due to that unjustifiably inflated ego is arguably even better demonstrated by the hilarious inability to inline replies correctly after 60k posts, despite also being educated on the completely trivial procedure.

A: Those confederate types sure "feared" black people enough to put them to work, and nazis sure "feared" the jews. I'm glad you guys agree with the right wing about who're the Real victims. Both those cultures were utterly destroyed by their own fear. If you act out against others you open yourself to just retribution. Evil is only to happy to jump the gun. Not many of us would be alive if people didn't think as I do.

Slavery persisted for centuries because of its apologists like you, and nazis wouldn't certainly done much better if it weren't for people who thought more like me instead. But just like their fans you'll try to absolve your responsibility, and try to absolve theirs too out of selfish interest to make yourself look less bad for carrying their water, because that's what self-interested unethical people do.

raildogg

Lifer
Aug 24, 2004
Is this the same NY Times that is the cheerleader for America's imperialist policies under certain presidents but not under others?

Bunch of hypocrites. You are anti-war when your guy isn't in power but support the bombing of innocent people when your guy is in.

Didn't this paper support the Iraq war too?

I think this Russia story is just political theater to keep the masses distracted and occupied. Maybe I'm wrong but I think Russia and America are secret allies and have been for a long time. They are imperialist countries that don't need big powers to counter them. That's why you don't see real hostilities between them and haven't for the past 70 years. On the surface they pretend to be enemies or whatever.

The masses love political theater and this Russia story is perfect for it.

Last edited:

alien42

Lifer
Nov 28, 2004
Is this the same NY Times that is the cheerleader for America's imperialist policies under certain presidents but not under others?

Bunch of hypocrites. You are anti-war when your guy isn't in power but support the bombing of innocent people when your guy is in.

there are tons of sources that confirm this thread's topic, attacking one of them with generalities isn't going to achieve anything.

Feb 4, 2009

I think this Russia story is just political theater to keep the masses distracted and occupied. Maybe I'm wrong but I think Russia and America are secret allies and have been for a long time. They are imperialist countries that don't need big powers to counter them. That's why you don't see real hostilities between them and haven't for the past 70 years. On the surface they pretend to be enemies or whatever.

The masses love political theater and this Russia story is perfect for it.

Lordy

Reactions: zzyzxroad