More confusion from AMD, can you handle it?

mechBgon

Super Moderator<br>Elite Member
Oct 31, 1999
For comparison, the Opteron 246 (also 2GHz and dual-channel) is around $900.

infinite012

Apr 23, 2003
$640 at newegg definitely is NOT close to $900...

EDIT: It's close to the $650 one...but you could probably still see a bigger performance increase by using the 3.2 over the opteron in normal desktop use.

sellmen

May 4, 2003
Originally posted by: infinite012

EDIT: It's close to the $650 one...but you could probably still see a bigger performance increase by using the 3.2 over the opteron in normal desktop use.

Opteron Desktop Benchmarks

A 2GHZ opteron outperformed a P4 3.2ghz (11/17 tests won) on desktop benchmarks, while using registered CAS2.5 RAM. Switching to regular CAS2 DDR should improve performance significantly.

stevejst

Banned
May 12, 2002
The p4 3.2ghz is around the same price.
Exactly. And it is not selling well. But in a compatible mobo I can put 2.4C and overclock it to 3.2. What can you use in 754 dual channel mobo? Is there any new 754 duron??
rolleye.gif

mechBgon

Oct 31, 1999
Originally posted by: infinite012

It looks to me like Opteron 246's are $830 and $900 at Newegg: Opteron 246.

At any rate, the $650 price isn't cheap, nope. But if you've been waiting for an x86-compatible chip that doesn't gag on 8GB+ of RAM, then this could be your ticket to ride, whether it's $650 or $900 :cool: Like this Tim Sweeny guy, he made some game called "UT2003" or something... ;)

?Because of our new content tools, we're already feeling a very strong need for 64-bit internally right now, and by year's end I expect we'll look at 64-bit as something that we couldn't possibly do our jobs without. We expect this sentiment to carry over to other game developers in the next 12 months, to high-end consumers over the next 24 months, and the wide mainstream all the way down to the lowest end of the market within 36 months.?

Tim goes on to say, ?In our next-generation technology, we are building 2,000,000-polygon meshes, and running them through a preprocessing program that analyzes the geometry and self-shadowing potential of the mesh based on thousands of incident lighting direction using per-pixel floating point math, and compresses all of this data down to texture maps, bump maps, and 16-component spherical harmonic maps at as high a resolution as possible.

This process uses many gigabytes of memory, and implementing it on 32-bit CPU's places a lot of constraints on the size of meshes we can preprocess and the resolution of maps we can generate. With onerous programmer gymnastics, this kind of algorithm could be made disk-based or Address Windowing Extensions aware, but these approaches require an order of magnitude more development effort, and aren't practical given the frequency with which we change and improve our algorithms.?

from Firing Squad

dannybin1742

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2002
there is a reason that the flagship processor is $650-----------> thats why its called a flagship processor, its the fastest, how much is a p4 3.2ghz? how much do you think a prescot will run you? probably around the same give a month or two till they release lower clocked ones, then you will start seeing people buy lowerclocked that can be oced to the higher clock

prices will come down, they always do

sellmen

May 4, 2003
Originally posted by: dannybin1742
there is a reason that the flagship processor is $650-----------> thats why its called a flagship processor, its the fastest, how much is a p4 3.2ghz? how much do you think a prescot will run you? probably around the same give a month or two till they release lower clocked ones, then you will start seeing people buy lowerclocked that can be oced to the higher clock

prices will come down, they always do

There will be cheaper 754 pin version of the Athlon 64 at launch as well.

mechBgon

Oct 31, 1999
Incidentally, Tim also seems to be expecting about a 15% theoretical performance boost from a 64-bit OS and 64-bit-optomized game code:
Evil Avatar: Can you give me any idea what kind of a performance increase people might see running the 64-bit version?

Tim Sweeney: In pure CPU performance, Athlon64 is about 15% faster than previous Athlon's of identical clock rate for 32-bit apps, and 30% for 64-bit apps, because it exposes double the number of CPU registers, enabling the compiler to generate more efficient code. As for UT2003 performance, we haven't benchmarked yet but expect it to be faster though less than 30% because the GPU is as significant a factor as CPU.
from here

So look at the glass as half-empty or half-full, whichever you like best :)

stevejst

Banned
May 12, 2002
I don't see they have any plans to release lower clocked ones. Where did you hear that? I see the crippled board ones (one channel) which is nothing compatible with the "flagship" thing.

sellmen

May 4, 2003
Originally posted by: stevejst
I don't see they have any plans to release lower clocked ones. Where did you hear that? I see the crippled board ones (one channel) which is nothing compatible with the "flagship" thing.

The 754 Pin version of the Athlon 64 is the "crippled" single-channel version.

Link

It doesn't look like performance will be too bad.

stevejst

Banned
May 12, 2002
Yes, I have to say I am getting lost with all this but I know I have no intention paying $350 for a single channel one. And then waht, when the 940 becomes more affordable to throw 754 chip and buy both mobo and a new chip? Nice idea.

sellmen

May 4, 2003
Yes, I have to say I am getting lost with all this but I know I have no intention paying $350 for a single channel one. And then waht, when the 940 becomes more affordable to throw 754 chip and buy both mobo and a new chip? Nice idea.

If performance is good, why would anyone care whether it was single or dual channel? I would wait for benchmarks before completely writing off the single-channel version.

Jeff7181

Lifer
Aug 21, 2002
Wow... bunches of links to the Inquirer... that's hardly a reputable source of information.
You guys can speculate all you want... I'll wait for it to be released.

stevejst

Banned
May 12, 2002
Wow... bunches of links to the Inquirer... that's hardly a reputable source of information.
Actually it is a reputable source of information. Did you confuse it with "National Inquirer"?

stevejst

Banned
May 12, 2002
So?
I suggest you read the German magazine article to find fairly accurate Intel road map in Jan 2003. As far as AMD road maps go, I doubt that anybody in AMD knows exactly what is going on and what would happen. That is nothing new. Inquirer, Register, and XBit Labs are three sources for daily news in microelectronics. If you did not know that, too bad.

OddTSi

Feb 14, 2003
Originally posted by: sellmen
Opteron Desktop Benchmarks

A 2GHZ opteron outperformed a P4 3.2ghz (11/17 tests won) on desktop benchmarks, while using registered CAS2.5 RAM. Switching to regular CAS2 DDR should improve performance significantly.

The setups on the two are not equal. The Opteron has 4x the amount of RAM and it also uses 4 slots vs. 2 slots on the P4. If you read the recent memory article on the AnandTech homepage you'll see that using 4 slots is the ideal setup. The fact that a few of those benchmarks were memory bandwidth benchmarks, and that the memory setup was biased towards the Opteron makes those benchmarks useless. Not to mention the fact that AMDZone themselves labels some of the non memory bandwidth benchmarks (memory intensive) makes me eager to see a true, unbiased, and fair comparison between the two CPUs, because this one you linked to is ANYTHING but that.

And on a side note, why did you call them "Desktop Benchmarks"? Half of those are professional/science benchmarks. That has nothing to do with their results, just wondering why you decided to call them Desktop Benchmarks.

stevejst

Banned
May 12, 2002
We shall shortly see what these new AMD processors are capable of. Unfortunately AMD has been engaged in paper releases of processors for more than a year already, and their fan sites like AMDzone are just another twist in the sorry story that AMD has become.
The performance is not on their side for some time already and business has never been.

bjc112

Lifer
Dec 23, 2000

Same as Prescott, they are changing sockets too...

Nice idea..

rolleye.gif

DivideBYZero

Lifer
May 18, 2001
We shall shortly see what these new AMD processors are capable of. Unfortunately AMD has been engaged in paper releases of processors for more than a year already, and their fan sites like AMDzone are just another twist in the sorry story that AMD has become.
The performance is not on their side for some time already and business has never been.

Put the flamethrower down, boy. You'll burn yourself.

DivideBYZero

Lifer
May 18, 2001

P1 60 > 66 Anyone?

or Slot 1 to socket anyone?

or coppermine to tualatin anyone?

or the P4? How many "platforms" has that had?

Move away from the greenhouse before releasing missiles....

mechBgon

Oct 31, 1999
Originally posted by: DivideBYZero

Put the flamethrower down, boy. You'll burn yourself.
What are you incinerating, DBZ? ;) ;) ;)

:D