Moral question, to write, or not to write?

Kelvrick

Lifer
Feb 14, 2001
Ok, so right now its 2:07am for us people here on the west coast. About half an hour ago, my gf started rubbing her head and breathing deeply. I asked her what was wrong and proceeded to get her some tylenol and told her to go brush her teeth and get her ass into bed. She went to brush her teeth, but when I returned from washing the dishes, I found her asleep in front of my laptop while writing up her homework.

Now, I picked her up and carried her into bed and she's now fast asleep. The laptop is still open and I looked it over. Considering writing is my strongest point, after spending 5 minutes going through her notes, I can answer her remaining questions, and I can probably answer them better then she can. Now, I'm facing this dilemma. Before nodding off to sleep, she mumbled something about setting the alarm for 4:00am for her. So, considering I'd like her to get the extra 3 hours of sleep until 7, I'm willing to spend say half an hour finishing up her paper.

Now, is it wrong to do so? State opinions and/or reasons.

<== monkey dance

Kelvrick

Lifer
Feb 14, 2001
Originally posted by: Sluggo
Originally posted by: Kelvrick
EDIT: Pressed enter, will soon have text.

If you are going to write, write more than that.

I just did a quick edit so people didn't come in and ask me what the question was. :) After putting that up, I edited it again to have everything I originally intended it too.

<== monkey dance

Kelvrick

Lifer
Feb 14, 2001
Originally posted by: Geekbabe
Set the alarm for 4am as she asked you to...

Well, I normally would, but then she's been having trouble with one of the problems and I spent a good 20 minutes trying to explain it to her, but I'm pretty sure she doesn't get it. If I am going to let her wake up at 4am, I probably will write a quick outline of the answer to the question so she can work with that, but is that still wrong? I can easily impersonate her style or writing to where you can't see the difference.

<== monkey dance

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
i'd say wake her up at 4... women are weird about this sorta thing.. i've had many a gf that woke up in the wee hours to do stupid stuff like this...

LET THEM BE RIGHT.. DONT CHANGE THEM!!! AHHH!!!

Sluggo

Lifer
Jun 12, 2000
Hmmm, if you write it for her, she could get the idea that you think she is incapable of doing things for herself, thus you think she is incompetent.

Of course it would be a nice thing to do for her, but too easily misconstrued by her.

Set the alarm as she asked, and leave it at that.

Kelvrick

Lifer
Feb 14, 2001
Originally posted by: bob970
i'd say wake her up at 4... women are weird about this sorta thing.. i've had many a gf that woke up in the wee hours to do stupid stuff like this...

:) No, she doesn't wake up early to do this sorta thing. She actually sleeps in later then I do, and I was nicknamed the vampire my first year of college since I'd often wake at sunset and drop at sunup, making it quite common for me to live off of flourescent lights for days at a time. She fell asleep cuzz she was tired.

<== monkey dance

Geekbabe

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Oct 16, 1999
www.theshoppinqueen.com

What's "weird" about wanting to do your own coursework ?
rolleye.gif

Sluggo

Lifer
Jun 12, 2000

Well, I normally would, but then she's been having trouble with one of the problems and I spent a good 20 minutes trying to explain it to her, but I'm pretty sure she doesn't get it. If I am going to let her wake up at 4am, I probably will write a quick outline of the answer to the question so she can work with that, but is that still wrong? I can easily impersonate her style or writing to where you can't see the difference.

<== monkey dance

Leave her the quick outline, and a kissy mushy note telling her to wake you up if she has any questions. :)

Maggotry

Platinum Member
Dec 5, 2001

That's what I'd do. However, before doing so, maybe you could jot down some suggestions for her and leave it there for her to see. She can use it or trash it, but the decision is hers. If you just do her work for her, she'll probably resent that, but may welcome assistance.

Respect her wishes, but I see no harm in offering help.

joohang

Lifer
Oct 22, 2000
Morally you may justify it somehow.

Ethically it is wrong.

I say you just set the alarm for her. Time management is part of the learning experience. If you write the homework for her, you prevent her from learning what she is supposed to learn, risk her from getting kicked out of school (it probably is not very difficult to detect plagiarism if the quality or writing style of the answers changed towards the end), and make her feel guilty for cheating on her homework. If that's what you want, go ahead and do it.

ohtwell

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002

I guess doing your own work is now considered weird. Glad I know that.
rolleye.gif

The idea of doing it for her is sweet but you should really let her finish herself. Leave her the outline though that way she can make up her own mind if she wants the help. :)

: ) Amanda

Kelvrick

Lifer
Feb 14, 2001
Well, it seems the decision is made. I'm not gonna write it.

I'm setting the alarm for 4, but I'm gonna wake up right along side her and sit there and play games so she can ask me any questions she may have.

Good night all. Thanks.

<== monkey dance

joohang

Lifer
Oct 22, 2000
Well, it seems the decision is made. I'm not gonna write it.

I'm setting the alarm for 4, but I'm gonna wake up right along side her and sit there and play games so she can ask me any questions she may have.

Good night all. Thanks.

<== monkey dance

Good stuff. Good night. :)

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
i would have written it for her.

last time i did something like that for my GF she was teh happiest id ever seen her. like a kid on xmass day.

dabuddha

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
Originally posted by: TheEvil1
i would have written it for her.

last time i did something like that for my GF she was teh happiest id ever seen her. like a kid on xmass day.

people will take it different ways... some will be angry that you did it, others will be happy. either way, it does nothing but hurt her. One of my "friends" used to cheat all the time and her diploma is worth crap because she knows nothing. Worse yet, she claims all the time she's going to sue the university for giving her the diploma

rolleye.gif