Moral of the story: Don't open fire when white people are around

tk149

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2002
Gawdammit, I was thinking of moving to this town.

http://www.journaltimes.com/news/lo...cle_7d81fb16-5176-11df-9d42-001cc4c03286.html

RACINE - Several family members of the man who shot someone outside Walmart in October broke out in loud sobs and angry mutters when he got the maximum sentence possible Monday afternoon.
Lennis Reynolds, 26, 3456 Stratford Ave., got 25 years - 15 years in prison and 10 years of extended supervision - for shooting a man in the Mount Pleasant Walmart parking lot in what was likely a drug deal gone wrong.

Judge Charles Constantine said the most significant factor in his decision was that Reynolds put the innocent public at risk when he opened fire in a crowded parking lot in broad daylight, calling it irresponsible and despicable.

"The final straw for me is (Reynolds) bringing in the public and that's absolutely outrageous," Constantine said.

The victim, Michael L. Williams, 31, of Illinois, was still suffering the effects of the gunshot wound to his upper left chest as of few weeks ago, said Assistant District Attorney Jacalyn LaBre during Monday's sentencing in Racine County Circuit Court.

"We're very fortunate that the victim lived and nobody else was injured at Walmart," she said.

Reynolds, who had been out on bail for selling cocaine, shot Williams outside Walmart, 3049 Oakes Road, on Oct. 16. Williams ran into the store at about 1:40 p.m., clutching his chest, saying he had been shot.

"This is a case that calls for the maximum period," Constantine said.

Reynolds put his head down.
A woman, who family members said is Reynolds' fiance, began sobbing at Constantine's words. She left the courtroom shortly after the sentence was given. When family members heard 25 years, their loud exclamations largely drowned out the rest of the judge's words.

Eight or nine people sat in court during the sentencing, including his mother and father. They continued to mutter under their breath, "25 years," and shake their heads. The mother sat still, covering her mouth with her hand while a family member patted her shoulder.

Reynolds kept looking back at his family as he got up to leave the courtroom, saying, "Man, he gave me 25 years, man."

Prior to the sentence, Reynolds addressed the judge and the court, apologizing to the victim, the victim's family, Walmart and its staff as well as the innocent bystanders.

"I take full responsibility for my actions - I know what I did was an unjust act," he said before choking up. "I wouldn't be in this kind of a predicament if I hadn't been doing these kind of actions."

Both his family and he cried as Reynolds read off of a paper.

"I just can't accept the fact that I'd never be a father to my daughter," said Reynolds, who family members said has a 2-year-old daughter. "My mistake doesn't determine my character and the man I want to be. After the tragic accident, I turned myself in - I couldn't live with that. I don't want to run from the law. I'm a man of integrity."

Reynolds said he prayed for another opportunity to become the man he knows he can be.

"He basically sealed his fate on what was going to happen - he wasn't going to walk away unscathed," said his attorney Dirk Jensen. "I think it shows a certain amount of responsibility. ... He could've taken off and been on the run until somebody found him. That wasn't the approach he took."

Reynolds was also ordered to pay restitution and got six years for delivering cocaine, to be served at the same time with the reckless injury sentence.

The only reason Reynolds got the maximum sentence, his aunt said, was because there were white people there at Walmart when the shooting happened. If it had happened on 12th Street, she said, he would not have gotten the maximum.

"I can't believe he gave my nephew 25 years," said Carmin White, 48, of Racine. "His life is gone."

Oh, the poor, poor man. He should know better than to open fire while white people are around! Nevermind that he shot somebody, and that there were likely lots of other people around who could have been hit.

Oh wait, he thinks that it was an "accident" that he shot a guy during a drug deal. :rolleyes:

PJABBER

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2001
Bwaaah! Bwaaaah! That is such a sad story.

Oh, the humanity!

D::'(o_O:awe:

Reminds me, my local Walmart is having an ammo sale. I need to go stock up.

:awe:

Last edited:

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007

http://www.journaltimes.com/news/lo...cle_7d81fb16-5176-11df-9d42-001cc4c03286.html

Oh, the poor, poor man. He should know better than to open fire while white people are around! Nevermind that he shot somebody, and that there were likely lots of other people around who could have been hit.

Oh wait, he thinks that it was an "accident" that he shot a guy during a drug deal. :rolleyes:

For some reason, hate crime legislation comes to mind.

nonlnear

Platinum Member
Jan 31, 2008
The aunt is sort of right, but not for the reason she thinks. If a shooting had happened in the ghetto with a crowd of "non white" witnesses, they all might decide not to snitch for fear of being next. Damn the lack of gang intimidation among these scurrilous white folk!

daishi5

Golden Member
Feb 17, 2005

Endagering the public is a good reason to increase the sentence, but if he really did turn himself in I think that deserves some leniency. If he really did realize that he made a huge mistake, and turned himself in because of it, that puts him miles ahead of most other violent criminals.

nonlnear

Platinum Member
Jan 31, 2008
Allowing the second sentence to be concurrent actually was a form of leniency. Just because 25 was the max for the one crime doesn't mean it was the maximum he was looking at. I think he might have been worth knocking a few more off because he turned himself in, but not a whole lot. I see no reason why this should be thought of as any "less bad" than murder 2. Just because your victim lives doesn't' mean the crime deserves a significantly lighter punishment.

MotF Bane

No Lifer
Dec 22, 2006
"The only reason Reynolds got the maximum sentence, his aunt said, was because there were white people there at Walmart when the shooting happened. If it had happened on 12th Street, she said, he would not have gotten the maximum."

Racist idiot.

ayabe

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
Yet another reason I don't shop at Walmart. It's like Disney Land for trashy people of all ethnic backgrounds.

Aug 23, 2000
Bwaaah! Bwaaaah! That is such a sad story.

Oh, the humanity!

D::'(o_O:awe:

Reminds me, my local Walmart is having an ammo sale. I need to go stock up.

:awe:

Dude, walmarts have been filled the brim with ammo lately. I'd buy out the one near me now, but I don't think the TSA would look to kindly on me bringing that much ammo on the plane with me tonight.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
This thread is pure baloney. If you are a drug dealer and you shoot a man down in the street you deserve to die. It is a waste of tax payers money to put this scum in jail. We need to change gun laws to a mandator and immediate death sentence if you shoot the gun or commiting any crime with a gun. This can not be tolerated.

PJABBER

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2001
Dude, walmarts have been filled the brim with ammo lately. I'd buy out the one near me now, but I don't think the TSA would look to kindly on me bringing that much ammo on the plane with me tonight.

If there is one thing that Obama can claim credit for it is the near doubling of armed households in the US.

The amount of guns and ammo sold over the past couple of years is simply astounding.

You would think the TSA would make an exception for an upstanding citizen like you to check in a case or two or three of ball ammo. Unfortunately, even if they did, the new weight restrictions and the extra fees for checked baggage would negate the value you got from the sale prices.

Such is life, what one hand gives, the other takes away.