Moral Dilemma at Hand

dmavs5981

Banned
Sep 21, 2007
Here's the situation: I am taking a World History class that a friend of mine took last semester. He had the professor I got (who loves to lecture, and give out many many quizzes and tests off his lectures and our textbook). So my friend gave me his notebook which was full of notes and whatnot. I looked through all the stuff and found all the tests they took with the answers on them. I thought they'd be a good study tool (while secretly hoping he didn't change tests) and looked over them thoroughly before going in and taking the tests. Just so happens that the professor doesn't change the tests and although he added 30 more questions to the test, I still aced it no problem. This was mainly because I had looked over the tests my friend took.

Guidance on how to proceed. I understand this is cheating, since I am basically looking at the test beforehand, but I can almost guarantee a great grade, so long as I don't get caught.

ATOT, I know you guys aren't the best moral judges, but you all have experience, and I'm just a young college idiot. Please help.

ahurtt

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2001
Originally posted by: dmavs5981

ATOT, I know you guys aren't the best moral judges, but you all have experience, and I'm just a young college idiot. Please help.

Alright, just so long as you know what you're getting yourself into here.
I think you're just coming here because you think we'll tell you what you want to hear even though you know what the right thing to do is.
Oh, and. . .FIRST!

Jun 4, 2005
You're not learning the material properly, and come the time he throws something new at you, you'll fail. You'll bomb a new test so bad that it'll clearly raise suspicion, and he'll test you on it. You'll probably fail again then be fucked.

Don't cheat, not because it's immoral, but because you'll just fuck yourself over in the end.

MrDudeMan

Lifer
Jan 15, 2001
Don't cheat because it's wrong. If you can't manage to have any sense of decency or moral standard, then listen to LoKe and realize you are only screwing yourself later. You are teaching yourself to be lazy and it will only get harder to break the more you do it. My advice is to throw away all of the tests and quizzes you find so you won't even have the opportunity to cheat.

Think of it this way - you are paying to get an education. Right now you are just faking it and wasting your money (or your parent's money, which is why people should pay for college on their own so they see the value).

Canun

Apr 1, 2006
Morally, I wouldn't cheat. But here is the issue. The rest of your work life is going to be based on your first job after the degree. The best jobs usually require the highest GPAs. Then from there, it is all based on your abilities.

So do you cheat in college, get a great GPA, then get a fantastic starting salary because the stuff you supposedly learned in college really never comes up in real life? Or be honest, try very very hard to get a high GPA? Which if you don't, alot of the time you don't get that great starting salary. (Alot of other factors go into it of course, but this is just a discussion)

MrDudeMan

Lifer
Jan 15, 2001
Originally posted by: Canun
Morally, I wouldn't cheat. But here is the issue. The rest of your work life is going to be based on your first job after the degree. The best jobs usually require the highest GPAs. Then from there, it is all based on your abilities.

So do you cheat in college, get a great GPA, then get a fantastic starting salary because the stuff you supposedly learned in college really never comes up in real life? Or be honest, try very very hard to get a high GPA? Which if you don't, alot of the time you don't get that great starting salary. (Alot of other factors go into it of course, but this is just a discussion)

This may be one of the worst pro-cheating arguments I've ever seen.

If you are a dumbass and learn nothing, it will surface regardless of your current successes.

Maleficus

Diamond Member
May 2, 2001
Cheating in school doesn't mean shit, if you can get away with it, go for it.

School/College is not a measure of your ability and/or knowledge.