techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1182345/

I remember seeing something about this movie earlier this summer. Turns out it sort of hit the theaters in June. It did only, get ready, 4.7 million box office according to videoeta.
Yet it had a 90 percent positive on Rotten Tomatoes.

Did anyone actually see it?

Mo0o

Lifer
Jul 31, 2001
I saw it. It was alright. Wasn't terribly amazing

it was a really limited release, which might explain the low box office gross

Crono

Lifer
Aug 8, 2001
I remember thread on it. Not something that would have attracted me to a theater (don't go much anymore, anyway), but might check it out on DVD later.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
Originally posted by: Crono
I remember thread on it. Not something that would have attracted me to a theater (don't go much anymore, anyway), but might check it out on DVD later.
Yeah, same for me. I put it on my calendar to check when it would be released on dvd and now its showing as coming sometime in December of this year.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
KT saw it twice, iirc.

based on his reviews, I'd say he would have gay sex with it, were it possible.

I haven't seen it yet; but I am certainly intrigued.

biggestmuff

Diamond Member
Mar 20, 2001
Someone had a thread a month or two ago. The trailer looked so, so. It screamed 2001/Solaris. Netflix rental or stream.

Shawn

Lifer
Apr 20, 2003
I saw it in the Indie theater. It was pretty good actually. Not great, but good.

Slick5150

Diamond Member
Nov 10, 2001
I really liked it. Thought it was one of the more interesting movies I'd seen in awhile. Sam Rockwell was excellent in it.

WT

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2000
Its on my short list of must see DVDs this year .. this from a guy who rents less than 10 movies a year.

BrownShoes

Golden Member
Dec 28, 2008
I thought it was decent. I really liked the trailer and was a bit disappointed.
And I wasn't really keen on the ending.

I think it would make a decent rental and I liked the concept. Sam Rockwell is generally awesome.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
I loved it and have seen it twice in the theatre! Rockwell owns this movie. It's a character driven film and since the number of characters is very limited, this movie lives and dies by Rockwell alone. I could see people not enjoying this as a sci-fi flick, since the pacing is relatively slow and a lot of time is spent focusing on Rockwell's emotional state, but in my opinion there is more to it than your general space yarn.

KT

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
bump for this. saw it last night and I really enjoyed it. I hadn't seen any trailers or anything but saw rockwell talking about it briefly a few weeks ago on conan I believe.

I'm not sure if the trailers gave anything away, but not knowing anything going in, I thought it was very good.

scott916

Platinum Member
Mar 2, 2005
I really enjoyed it as well. It really broke away from the pack in terms of what has come out recently.

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I went with a couple of friends to Pipers Alley in Chicago (about 1.5 hours or so from home in the far NW burbs.) We saw it in August. It was a very solid film. Sam Rockwell is a very skilled actor. The special effects were all done using miniatures like in the pre-CGI days. They really paid a lot of attention to the details and got a lot right. This was one of my favorite movies from this year. IMO it absolutely deserves it's 8.0 rating on IMDB. It's a great movie, albeit not perfect.

anxi80

Lifer
Jul 7, 2002
saw this awhile back and thought it was pretty good. by far not the greatest film ive seen this year, but still pretty damn good. especially sam rockwell's performance; hopefully it's recognized by the academy when the time comes.

Soundmanred

Lifer
Oct 26, 2006
I enjoyed this more than alot of other movies this year. I didn't watch any previews/trailers, so the events that unfolded were genuinely surprising to me which is refreshing.
I'm actually not a Rickwell fan, but he was great in this.

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
SPOILER:

what exactly happens at the end? the rescue gets rid of the "oldest" clone, while the middle one escapes on the pod, and a new one wakes up?

I'm kind of unsure how the one just leaves in the pod with no problem? why didn't they do that a while ago? was he only able to do that because no one knew the clones figured everything out, and since one of the contracts was up, they really did let someone leave?

anxi80

Lifer
Jul 7, 2002
SPOILER:

what exactly happens at the end?

yes. the oldest dies back in the vehicle, the middle escapes to earth and the new one wakes up none the wiser and ready to start work. the company didnt know the clones figured out what was going on (im guessing only the company and original sam [the one living with his daughter] are aware of the clones). so he snuck into the pod that transports the lunar soil back to earth. what happens when he lands is unknown, but like the others after 3 years he'll get sick also and perish. he knocked out the towers blocking the reception so the new clone might get hip to the scene a lot faster, and if you hear the radio transmissions as he descends to earth the board of the company is being investigated for human rights violations.