Montel Williams puts Fox in its place.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

NoStateofMind

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2005
Originally posted by: blackangst1
Originally posted by: PC Surgeon

When is importance the key issue on ANY news station? Why is Fox any different?

Head in the sand much?

Fox is by far the most bias but they all are to a certain extent. Importance not a key issue to news stations? You and I both know its important but for some reason the media hasn't said a word about 28 deaths this month of our soldiers. There is something missing or something we have lost as a nation when we glorify a movie star over that of soldiers dying in battle. I think its a slap in the face of the men and women serving in our military, but thats just my opinion.

The fact is, the public simply will not watch 18 hours a day of a death ticker from Iraq. News isnt news so much as it is talking heads and opinion pieces. Oh...and businesses. No audience, no network. Period.

And Fox is no more guilty of this than any other station.

How do you know America doesn't want to know whats going on in Iraq? Because the station says so? At least mention at some point during the damn day "Sad day in Iraq, IED kills 2" or something of that nature. But the fact that it isn't brought up at all shows me intent. Intent on keeping it out of people's minds. I am not asking for as many hours as heath ledger gets (even though I think it would be honorable to do so), but keep the public informed on their relatives and what our money is paying for.

And youre sure they dont how?

I know no one mentioned 28 deaths this month. I know that most of the good stuff (if you can call it that) is on the damned scrolling "ticker". Could there be Iraq news I have missed? Sure, but no one can watch 24hrs a day. I can tell you for the past couple days all I see when switching it to fox is heath ledger or something about spears. Lately, thats on all the stations. I think what I'm trying to point out here is that media is the conduit in which minds are corrupted/controlled. They choose the content and therefore in a sense, control topics being discussed around the country.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005

Head in the sand much?

Fox is by far the most bias but they all are to a certain extent. Importance not a key issue to news stations? You and I both know its important but for some reason the media hasn't said a word about 28 deaths this month of our soldiers. There is something missing or something we have lost as a nation when we glorify a movie star over that of soldiers dying in battle. I think its a slap in the face of the men and women serving in our military, but thats just my opinion.

The fact is, the public simply will not watch 18 hours a day of a death ticker from Iraq. News isnt news so much as it is talking heads and opinion pieces. Oh...and businesses. No audience, no network. Period.

How do you know America doesn't want to know whats going on in Iraq? Because the station says so? At least mention at some point during the damn day "Sad day in Iraq, IED kills 2" or something of that nature. But the fact that it isn't brought up at all shows me intent. Intent on keeping it out of people's minds. I am not asking for as many hours as heath ledger gets (even though I think it would be honorable to do so), but keep the public informed on their relatives and what our money is paying for.

And youre sure they dont how?

I know no one mentioned 28 deaths this month. I know that most of the good stuff (if you can call it that) is on the damned scrolling "ticker". Could there be Iraq news I have missed? Sure, but no one can watch 24hrs a day. I can tell you for the past couple days all I see when switching it to fox is heath ledger or something about spears. Lately, thats on all the stations. I think what I'm trying to point out here is that media is the conduit in which minds are corrupted/controlled. They choose the content and therefore in a sense, control topics being discussed around the country.

Well, except for Fox. See my post above.

How do YOU like your crow?

NoStateofMind

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2005
Funny how lack of troop deaths and Fox news are in the same sentence. Coincidence?

FOXNEWS.COM HOME > WORLD

US Military Deaths in Iraq at 3,934
Sunday, January 27, 2008

By The Associated Press

As of Sunday, Jan. 27, 2008, at least 3,934 members of the U.S. military have died since the beginning of the Iraq war in March 2003, according to an Associated Press count. The figure includes eight military civilians. At least 3,200 died as a result of hostile action, according to the military's numbers.

The AP count is three higher than the Defense Department's tally, last updated Friday at 10 a.m. EST.

The British military has reported 174 deaths; Italy, 33; Ukraine, 18; Poland, 21; Bulgaria, 13; Spain, 11; Denmark, seven; El Salvador, five; Slovakia, four; Latvia, three; Estonia, Netherlands, Thailand, Romania, two each; and Australia, Hungary, Kazakhstan, South Korea, one death each.

___

The latest deaths reported by the military:

_ A soldier was killed Sunday when his vehicle struck an explosive in northern Baghdad.

_ A soldier was killed Saturday by an explosion in the northwestern Kazimiyah district of Baghdad.

___

The latest identifications reported by the military:

_ No identifications reported.

WIERD!!!!

Not everyone has access to the internet so Fox has no control over what you choose to see.

Take this argument to TV, then you will see what I'm saying.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
Funny how lack of troop deaths and Fox news are in the same sentence. Coincidence?

FOXNEWS.COM HOME > WORLD

US Military Deaths in Iraq at 3,934
Sunday, January 27, 2008

By The Associated Press

As of Sunday, Jan. 27, 2008, at least 3,934 members of the U.S. military have died since the beginning of the Iraq war in March 2003, according to an Associated Press count. The figure includes eight military civilians. At least 3,200 died as a result of hostile action, according to the military's numbers.

The AP count is three higher than the Defense Department's tally, last updated Friday at 10 a.m. EST.

The British military has reported 174 deaths; Italy, 33; Ukraine, 18; Poland, 21; Bulgaria, 13; Spain, 11; Denmark, seven; El Salvador, five; Slovakia, four; Latvia, three; Estonia, Netherlands, Thailand, Romania, two each; and Australia, Hungary, Kazakhstan, South Korea, one death each.

___

The latest deaths reported by the military:

_ A soldier was killed Sunday when his vehicle struck an explosive in northern Baghdad.

_ A soldier was killed Saturday by an explosion in the northwestern Kazimiyah district of Baghdad.

___

The latest identifications reported by the military:

_ No identifications reported.

WIERD!!!!

Not everyone has access to the internet so Fox has no control over what you choose to see.

Take this argument to TV, then you will see what I'm saying.

10/10 for backpeddling!

NoStateofMind

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2005

And what, pre tell, major news station doesnt? Gimme a break. MSNBC and CNN cater to the liberal crowd, so they report that agenda. But thats OK?

I will not argue that no other does it, just that Fox is by far the worst. They have well known neocon ties and their "news" is more like a propaganda machine.

NoStateofMind

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2005

Lets leave the smack talk for another time please.

As I said, thats fox news dot com, not fox news channel.

NoStateofMind

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2005

10/10 for backpeddling!

Not backpeddling.

How many more millions of viewers do you think fox news has over their website? And most of those viewers are older, of voting age. Many senior citizens watch it. So my point stands.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005

Lets leave the smack talk for another time please.

As I said, thats fox news dot com, not fox news channel.

OK let me get this straight. First you said, and I quote,
"You and I both know its important but for some reason the media hasn't said a word about 28 deaths this month of our soldiers"

And THEN you said,
"But the fact that it isn't brought up at all"

And THEN you said,
"I know no one mentioned 28 deaths this month"

Sooooo...internet isnt media? And when you say "at all", what you really meant was "from what I've seen". And when you say "no one" what you REALLY meant was no one I happened to watch. One thing about Fox...99% of whats on their website is reported at some point during their day. Just because you didnt see it doesnt mean it didnt happen. You need to choose your multiple allegations more carefully.

Im not implying no other media reported it, I just happened to see this on the international report last night.

NoStateofMind

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2005

"You and I both know its important but for some reason the media hasn't said a word about 28 deaths this month of our soldiers"

And THEN you said,

And THEN you said,

Sooooo...internet isnt media? And when you say "at all", what you really meant was "from what I've seen". And when you say "no one" what you REALLY meant was no one I happened to watch. One thing about Fox...99% of whats on their website is reported at some point during their day. Just because you didnt see it doesnt mean it didnt happen. You need to choose your multiple allegations more carefully.

Im not implying no other media reported it, I just happened to see this on the international report last night.

Nice try at twisting the subject matter. The fact is the context of this whole conversation has been TV. The video link was TV. If you want to run from the issue and make it an "internet ordeal" when in fact it had nothing to do with that, is fine. Save yourself. I think others who have read this discussion between us would also gleem that it was TV and not internet. In any case we have it cleared up now. Do you have video other than Montel talking about the 28 deaths? I rest my case.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005

And THEN you said,

And THEN you said,

Nice try at twisting the subject matter. The fact is the context of this whole conversation has been TV. The video link was TV. If you want to run from the issue and make it an "internet ordeal" when in fact it had nothing to do with that, is fine. Save yourself. I think others who have read this discussion between us would also gleem that it was TV and not internet. In any case we have it cleared up now. Do you have video other than Montel talking about the 28 deaths? I rest my case.

Twist? Did you NOT say those things?

To downplay your qualification after the fact is weak at best. To downplay the internet as a news source is absurd.

You said what you said. I would like to know how you know not a single news TV channel hasnt mentioned the January death toll? How the hell could you know that? I anticipate your answer.

edit: Actually, I just found video on CNN, Fox, AND MSNBC's website. Now please explain how you know these werent broadcasted.

NoStateofMind

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2005

Twist? Did you NOT say those things?

To downplay your qualification after the fact is weak at best. To downplay the internet as a news source is absurd.

You said what you said. I would like to know how you know not a single news TV channel hasnt mentioned the January death toll? How the hell could you know that? I anticipate your answer.

Here is some quotes of statements I made throughout our conversation retaining the fact we were talking about TV. How you missed all of the signs is beyond me.

We don't need 20hrs a day of heath ledger or spears updates. As montel pointed out, media is not reporting it because of ratings.

Head in the sand much?

Having a tv show on once a day is far more pressed for time and ratings than a 24hr news channel.

I have gone through all the posts. Some of which are your comments. You and I both were on the topic of TV throughout this conversation. Then you back peddled your way into another avenue. I'm sorry to have caught you. You remind me of TLC, once he gets caught, he moves the goal posts in hopes he doesn't get caught. Well I have caught you. Too bad. Nice try though.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
Whatever you say man. You're right and Im wrong. Feel better?

Now tell me. Since I found video on 3 news sites, texplain to me how you know it wasnt braodcasted. Please explain as I am obviously missing something.

NoStateofMind

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2005

Yes, but in some ways I feel bad about it. Ego gets the best of me sometimes :p

Now tell me. Since I found video on 3 news sites, texplain to me how you know it wasnt braodcasted. Please explain as I am obviously missing something.

Mind posting those three videos? Was the death toll from January the content? Was any of them Fox?

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
I know you really dont read everything I post, as I dont you, since I obviously didnt understand when you said media you meant TV. Fair enough. Several posts ago:

edit: Actually, I just found video on CNN, Fox, AND MSNBC's website. Now please explain how you know these werent broadcasted.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005

Mind posting those three videos? Was the death toll from January the content? Was any of them Fox?

Actually is DOES feel go to own someone online doesnt it ;)

edit:

Youre giving me a headache. Do your own searching, as I have done mine. It's there. If you cant find it let me know and we'll make ourselves a significant wager. Fair enough?

G'nite PC.

edit again: Here's CNN's. I still had the tab open. You can search the rest.

NoStateofMind

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2005

Actually is DOES feel go to own someone online doesnt it ;)

edit:

Youre giving me a headache. Do your own searching, as I have done mine. It's there. If you cant find it let me know and we'll make ourselves a significant wager. Fair enough?

G'nite PC.

edit again: Here's CNN's. I still had the tab open. You can search the rest.

LOL Fair enough :thumbsup:

Sep 12, 2004
People are actually concerned about what Montel Williams has to say about Fox?

Seems similar to saying "OMG, listen to what Britney Spears said about Lindsey Lohan!"

OokiiNeko

Jun 14, 2003

I am amazed, AMAZED, that no one has mentioned what the first gulf war did for CNN.

How many careers were made during that time?

Make no mistake, it wasn`t 18 hours a day, it was literally 24 hours a day A LINE IN THE SAND!

And America ATE IT UP!!!

That one movie line was too prophetic, history really has become last week`s People magazine.

EDIT: Considering P&N is turning into shill central, not quite that amazed.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003

Well, you're just not paying attention.

I watch all the cable news channels. Very little difference in content itself.

Although they broadcast 24/7, starting about 10 pm you get into re-runs of earlier shows.

They generally start fresh content about 5 AM.

The news show in your OP is one of the morning "sit-around-a -table and BS" thingies. All channels have them. If anyone is looking to this format and time slot for their hard-hitting journalism they are boobs. That stuff is on at the 5, 6, or 7 PM time slot.

These shows have weather, health, technology, entertainment and yes, even some Iraq stuff. It's more like what's on their websites, a smattering of everything.

Fern