Monoprice's 10565 5.1 Speakers (upgradable) is $199(coupon accepted too) + Shipping

Crow550

Platinum Member
Oct 4, 2005
*ULTRA DEAL!!!!* Use coupon 15off2 till the 24th to get $15 off making it $184. *Best price so far!*

*If you purchased this already within 30 days they will price match if you ask.*

Current price sale price: $199.

Deal history:
December deal: $223.57
Cyber Monday deal $198.99
October 31st deal $228.71

Link to Speaker set: http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=109&cp_id=10906&cs_id=1090601&p_id=10565&seq=1&format=2

Can use coupons with it too: http://www.retailmenot.com/view/monoprice.com

Rated sounding better than the Energy Take Classic's.

Monoprice video on em: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZrXEWnZoe0

More info about the Speaker set: http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2348394

You'll be able to upgrade this to 7.1 or 7.2 or more too: http://www.monoprice.com/Category?c_id=109&cp_id=10906

Matthew Moskovciak is eating his words @ 1:50: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyDbvh9VE5E

I heard it's a good idea to unbox Speakers and let them set for a few days to help everything kinda dry and set from being manufactured and air out as sometimes they can have a strong odor.

Old thread: http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2350986

Don't forget to add these if you need them:

Speaker Wire: 18AWG or lower depending on room size.

Banana Plugs like PIDs: 9436 or 9438

Speaker Wall mounts like two of PID : 6979

An Audio Receiver between the range of 20-100watts per channel. Either 5.1/2 or 7.1/2 if you plan to add more as again these are upgradable as Monoprice will be selling extra Speakers and Subwoofers from this set. Lots of people rave about Receivers that come with at least Audyssey MultEQ or higher versions for auto-equalizing your Speakers and Sub. More info: http://www.audyssey.com/technologies/multeq/flavors

Last edited:

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Any idea how this compares to the Logitech Z-5500 etc.?

qliveur

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2007
Any idea how this compares to the Logitech Z-5500 etc.?
Those Logitech systems have atrociously high total harmonic distortion (10%! D:). These speakers + even the cheapest receiver would have less than 1% THD for around the same price.

I'd also like to mention that Crow said in the other thread that you'll need a receiver with at least 100W per channel. That's their maximum power handling and there's just no way that these speakers would need nearly that much power. 75W per channel continuous (RMS) should be plenty, and you could probably get by with 50WPC RMS.

I have the Energy set (the Monoprice model was discontinued at the time of purchase) hooked up to a Yamaha RX-V375, which is Yamaha's cheapest home theater receiver. At ~$450, I don't think I could get anything better for home theater or a PC sound system. Having the flexibility of a real receiver is a nice bonus, too.

Last edited:

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Those Logitech systems have atrociously high total harmonic distortion (10%! D:). These speakers + even the cheapest receiver would have less than 1% THD for around the same price.

I'd also like to mention that Crow said in the other thread that you'll need a receiver with at least 100W per channel. That's their maximum power handling and there's just no way that these speakers would need nearly that much power. 75W per channel continuous (RMS) should be plenty, and you could probably get by with 50WPC RMS.

I have the Energy set (the Monoprice model was discontinued at the time of purchase) hooked up to a Yamaha RX-V375, which is Yamaha's cheapest home theater receiver. At ~$450, I don't think I could get anything better for home theater or a PC sound system. Having the flexibility of a real receiver is a nice bonus, too.

Nice! If you're wall-mounting them, how do you have them attached?

qliveur

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2007
Nice! If you're wall-mounting them, how do you have them attached?
Drywall mounting studs with screws to hang them on, and a couple of thin strips of pine for spacers so they can breathe. :D

Awesomedude99

Dec 1, 2013
Those Logitech systems have atrociously high total harmonic distortion (10%!
speaker.png
D:). These speakers + even the cheapest receiver would have less than 1% THD for around the same price.

I have one of those Yamaha receivers too, RX-v567. 7 x 95 watts. the speakers set doesn't look like they need that much of power. must be good for PC tho. :)

ZipSpeed

Golden Member
Aug 13, 2007
Very, very tempting. I want to retire my old Z-680 5.1 set and I already have a old Denon receiver collecting dust. $90 to ship to Canada plus taxes and duties. Even with those fees, it's still cheaper than finding anything locally at this point.

Crow550

Platinum Member
Oct 4, 2005
Sorry I'm still learning the whole wattage thing. I thought if Speakers were 100watts you'd want to try to match that for the Receiver but it does make sense going a lower in watts since you're not gonna crank it max volume anyways. :p

Also till the 21st you'll get 50% off 2nd Day shipping. I haven't checked other coupons. However like in the posts above you can also use 15off2 till the 22nd.

Last edited:

Crow550

Platinum Member
Oct 4, 2005
Freaking hot if they're better than the Energy set.

According to Cnet:
"Sound quality: A little better than the best
There was really only one way to test the Monoprice 10565 system and that was to set it up directly next to the Energy Take Classic speakers. We used the Marantz NR1403 to power both systems and, at best, we expected the 10565 system to equal the performance of the Energy speakers like the old 9774 system did. What really surprised us is that we ended up preferring the Monoprice system."

Link: http://reviews.cnet.com/surround-speaker-systems/monoprice-10565/4505-7868_7-35826981.html

Search in the AVSforum.com for Monoprice 10565

Should find some other reviews.

Last edited:

dawp

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
Sorry I'm still learning the whole wattage thing. I thought if Speakers were 100watts you'd want to try to match that for the Receiver but it does make sense going a lower in watts since you're not gonna crank it max volume anyways. :p

Also till the 21st you'll get 50% off 2nd Day shipping. I haven't checked other coupons. However like in the posts above you can also use 15off2 till the 22nd.

no, the maximum rated wattage is the max you would want to drive them with, and on some cheap speakers you wouldn't even want to do that.

according to the specs of these the recommended wattage range is 20 to 100 so you could get by with a fairly low wattage amp.

Last edited:

qliveur

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2007
Yeah, I don't know if I'd trust Onkyo at this point; at least not their cheaper models. It's a shame, because they used to be awesome. :(

This past summer, Newegg sent me one of those special targeted coupons for 30% off selected home theater items and that Yamaha was among them. With the coupon and 2% FatCash I got it for $170.

Crow550

Platinum Member
Oct 4, 2005
A lot of reviews with failed HDMI boards. That's the only thing holding me back from buying it.

I heard they had fixed those issues with a firmware upgrade but it took them a really long time to release the update.

Basically if you get an Onkyo (or any brand really.) The first thing to always do is update it to the latest firmware before messing with it (if possible install from a usb stick). Might want to consider the extended warranty just in case too.

Of course sales happen all the time so you can always go with another brand if you're uneasy too.

Last edited:

Crow550

Platinum Member
Oct 4, 2005
Coupon for $15 off this set has been extended till the 24th!

Last edited:

Netopia

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
no, the maximum rated wattage is the max you would want to drive them with, and on some cheap speakers you wouldn't even want to do that.

according to the specs of these the recommended wattage range is 20 to 100 so you could get by with a fairly low wattage amp.

No offense, but this is extremely bad advice. You can often run speakers up to double their "maximum" wattage (which isn't really an exact number, but derived from the root mean, squared (RMS)), but putting them on a low powered amp that is cranked up high can kill a speaker in a heartbeat.

Once an amp gets to the point where it doesn't have the surplus power to complete a waveform, it starts to produce clipping distortion. This clipping, forces the voice coil in the speaker to be "stuck" at the extremes of the speaker throw (the apogee and perigee) during the periods of clipping. This can quickly cause the voice coil to overheat and begin to melt. Once that happens, you're done. Anyone who's ever had a blown speaker knows the "feel" of when this happens.... the cone will move if you push it with your finger, but it's stiff and makes a scratching sound and doesn't work any longer.

Conversely, if you have a higher powered amp, you can drive higher wattage but with a clean signal. There is much less heat created in this scenario and far less chance of damage. I've run speakers rated at 125W with a 300W amp for years with no problem, often playing them house shakingly loud.

The other thing that people don't realize is that volume is not linear with wattage. Every time you double the power, you only add 3db of output.

SO.....

If you have speakers rated at 90db @ 1W, then:
2W = 93db
4W = 96db
8W = 99db
16W = 102db
32W = 105db
64W = 108db
128W = 111db
256W = 114db

To be honest, most of the time people put less than a couple of watts into their speakers, because it's pretty loud by the time you get to a watt or two.

But, if you tend to play your music/home theater loud... do your speakers and your wallet a favor and buy an amp that has more than enough headroom (extra power for clean transient responses) to keep your speakers nice and safe.

Just as an aside, there are situations where one might choose to run fairly low powered amps. These are typically where on might be running Class A amps, either tube or transistors. People in this category usually aren't the type to want to belt out the loudest possible music, but are much more apt to be looking for greatest reproduction of detail, sound stage, and imaging. Different beast altogether.