Monoprice Premium 5.1 Speakers: $164 shipped (until 2/3)

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

qliveur

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2007
For those with 5.2 and 7.2 receivers, the stand-alone sub is now $89.53 and the extra pair of sats is $63.97 using promo code WKD10; both w/fee shipping.

Total cost of 7.2 system: $333.49; 5.2: $269.52

Unbeatable for what you get. This is extremely hot. The add-ons have never been this cheap, IIRC.

Last edited:

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
I've liked Sony receivers myself for awhile now, but no I don't buy Bose speakers, even if there are some old ones I wouldn't mind having.

I've changed my tune on Bose over the years. I accept them as pretty dang good right now, just overpriced. My buddy has a Lifestyle 5.1 system & it is amazing if you want crystal-clear sound with well-balanced bass. Sure, it's not going to replace a system with standing towers & a huge subwoofer, but it's amazing for what it is, it just costs 10x too much :D

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Also better than TV Speakers. :p

It's a good set for a small / mid-range Room.

Yeah. As qliveur mentioned above, it's easy to go 7.1 or 5.2/7.2 on the cheap too. Unfortunately my room is realistically too small for 7.1, but even though it's small, this set fills it up really nice, along with my LED projector (iirc my DIY screen is 108"). Amazing & compact setup without breaking the bank...for around $1500 total, I have a system that I'd rather use to see movies than go to the actual movie theater for 99% of the movies released.

qliveur

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2007
Here is another excellent cheap 5.1 receiver; quite possibly the best one.

It's bare bones, but it's built with quality components, is reliable and sounds great. This receiver combined with the Monoprice 5.1 would also make an awesome surround setup for a gaming computer; way better than anything made by Logitech.

Last edited:

Ayrahvon

Aug 7, 2007
Have this receiver sans bluetooth, love it. I have Paradigm Atoms as my fronts and a Paradigm C-150 or some such center... crap for backs.

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
I still want a projector myself in the future, it's just not doable atm I guess.

Those do look like good speakers, speakers are the least of my problems myself I guess :)

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Someone will jump on them I imagine, they are a lot better than most bundled speakers if you have a separate amp.

Last edited:

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Last edited:

ghost recon88

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2005
Just picked up a set of these speakers, hopefully they live up to all the talk and hype. These are the same as the Energy Take classic for $350?

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Just picked up a set of these speakers, hopefully they live up to all the talk and hype. These are the same as the Energy Take classic for $350?

Originally they were basically an exact duplicate, but apparently they got sued so they changed a couple things (I've read they made them sound better). I've never heard the Energy speakers before so I don't know how they compare, but for under $200, I've been pretty happy with them. These mounts work awesome btw: (price is for a pair)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005BV0FHG

Vocals are clear, gunfights sound awesome, and they didn't cost a zillion dollars, so I'm pleased with mine :thumbsup:

Crow550

Platinum Member
Oct 4, 2005
CNET said they are tested as sounding better.

Yeah the OEM they got them was the same that Energy uses. So they tweaked them.

Just make sure to break em in. For my room they are fantastic. I think for a small or medium living room they would be great too.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
CNET said they are tested as sounding better.

Yeah the OEM they got them was the same that Energy uses. So they tweaked them.

Just make sure to break em in. For my room they are fantastic. I think for a small or medium living room they would be great too.

Yeah, I have them in the finished part of my basement, which is pretty small, and they work great. I actually wish the finished half was wider because I'd like a broader soundstage for the left & right front speakers (it's a bit of a narrow room).

qliveur

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2007
Newegg has the Yamaha RX-V377 on closeout now for $152 AR.

IMO, it's the perfect companion receiver for this speaker set. Catch the Monoprice 5.1s on sale, and we're talking a real home theater that isn't junk for less than $350, including the extra cost of cables and speaker wire.

qliveur

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2007
Back down to $165 + change w/free shipping again.

Last edited: