Monitor won't shut off in W2K and other weird problems.

FOH

Aug 18, 2000
I have Win2K on my system and ever since I reinstalled it, the monitor won't ever go into standby mode. I can go into "Control Panel" and "Power Options" and where it says "turn off monitor" it will still be set on 15min.

I can fix it by changing the setting to something else (or even change it back to 15min) and hit "Apply" and it will be fine. It will work every time just like it should---until---I restart the computer, then the monitor will stay on until I go back in "Power Options" and change the setting again. Any ideas????? :confused:

Also on the same subject, I reinstalled the OS to get rid of a "glitch" from the last install. It fixed the old problem, but now the monitor won't shut off. It seems there is always something weird or different every time I install an OS (Win2K or Win98) and it has happened on different computers.

I have tried writing all 0's to the hard drive to make sure it is ?clean?. And in case the CD-ROM was not reading the install disk correctly and causing errors, I have tried to load the OS using a different drive.

There always seems to be a different glitch in the system and I never get the "Perfect" install. I try to follow the same procedure every time. So Is this normal or am I doing something wrong????

SORRY FOR THE LONG BOOK!!! :eek:

grrl

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2001
Is the any error message with it? I assume not since you didn't mention one, but my machine was doing the same thing. The problem was the older version of Adaptec Easy CD Creator/Direct CD that come with my HP CDRW was causing a conflict in the device driver.

Maybe this will help.

FOH

Aug 18, 2000
Thanks for the reply. I don't get any error messages, everything seems to work fine, the monitor just won't turn off without changing the settings.

I also am running Adaptec Easy CD Creator, version 3.5c, but I was using it before this last OS install, and the monitor worked fine. I haven't changed any hardware or software between the last OS install and this one. It just seems to be one of the many unexplained glitches I have encountered. :(