Monitor problem when booting into windows..

mlc

Jan 22, 2005
When I boot into windows, sometime the monitor screen goes blank at login screen (i.e. blinking power led) . If i turn the monitor off and then on again, i get the normal screen to login . This only happens occassionally.

Monitor: Samsung 205BW
Board Gigabyte EP45-UD3P
Graphics card: Asus HD6850

I suspect it relates to interaction of monitor with graphics card settings... Reason i say this is that this had happened somewhat regularly in past, then was occurring very , very rarely of late.. But now has come back again , as I just reinstalled windows 7 onto a new drive.... Problem had happened using a prior video card as well...

any ideas??? it's more annoying than anything...

Thanks in advance... Mike

tracerbullet

Golden Member
Feb 22, 2001
what kind of connection are you using.the wire could be defect

Agreed, try a difference cable if you have one. I had a monitor (Samsung, 226BW I believe was the model) that did this to me as well. I eventually narrowed it down to only happening on one computer, Then to only happening over DVI, then finally narrowed it down to the actual DVI cable. Replaced it and no more problems.

If you are using DVI, maybe try VGA for a while (or vice-versa) to see if you can narrow it down to a particular video card output / monitor input / cable?

mlc

Jan 22, 2005
thanks guys... great idea...

I'm using a DVI cable... hadn't thought of a cable issue, as its always fixed by simply flipping the monitor power button off then on again...

I'll give it a shot... like i said... it only happens on occassion.. but we'll see what happens.