monitor has pink tint! :( is this fixable?

Cosmic_Horror

Golden Member
Oct 10, 1999
hi i have a 17" monitor that has suddenly a pink tint to it... check thru some things in the video options leads me to believe the green gun has died. I have no other monitor or video card to check this with but i am pretty sure it is the moniotr.
Is this fixable? this monitor is almost 5 years old and untill now has been excellent. Or am i better off just replacing it?
thanks for any comments...

Cabana

Mar 29, 2001
This happened to me with an IBM monitor. I found that it would turn pink after a certain amount of use, which lead me to conclude that it was overheating. I opened it up and took off the big metal shield inside. This solved the problem, but now the monitor has to operate without a case. Also, the cover held the whole thing together so now the front has to be propped up. I don't really recommend this, but it's better than a pink monitor. Luckily it's an extra monitor I don't have to use much.

gsethi

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2002
Dont ever open your monitor and take off the shields. Each and every CRT radiates and those shields are there to protect us from Radiation. If you are operating your monitor w/o those shields, then you are getting exposed to Radiation (i would recommend a Doctor checkup for you) Also, pls tell me who you are so that i can stay about 1 mile away from you ;)

as for the pink tint to your monitor, i had that once and thought my monitor was gone. Just when i was unplugging my monitor, i noticed that 2 of the pins (at the vga connector) were joined together. I separated them and straightened them and it was fine then. Monitor has been running excellent for 6+ years now.

Cosmic_Horror

Golden Member
Oct 10, 1999
thanks for the info guys... i have checked the pins on the cable and they seemed ok, and i have managed to find an old spare vga cable and still have a pink tint..

I know well enough not to open up the monitor,... even turned off they hold a huge amount of charge..

i do not think it is a heat problem as the room the computer is in doesn't get very hot... might have to see if i can vacuum any dust out of it etc...

thanks again guys... :)

Cabana

Mar 29, 2001
Well like I said, I don't use it much at all, in fact I think I broke the damn thing moving it. Whoever designed it didn't do a good job as that shield causes it to overheat. Wooo radiation. :)

Gosharkss

Nov 10, 2000
Originally posted by: gsethi
Dont ever open your monitor and take off the shields. Each and every CRT radiates and those shields are there to protect us from Radiation. If you are operating your monitor w/o those shields, then you are getting exposed to Radiation (i would recommend a Doctor checkup for you) Also, pls tell me who you are so that i can stay about 1 mile away from you ;)

as for the pink tint to your monitor, i had that once and thought my monitor was gone. Just when i was unplugging my monitor, i noticed that 2 of the pins (at the vga connector) were joined together. I separated them and straightened them and it was fine then. Monitor has been running excellent for 6+ years now.

If you are so concerned about radiation you should read THIS.

EJ

Oct 18, 1999
I know you said you checked but just to be sure, was your monitor's color mode changed to 6500k or maybe less? That will give it a pink tint as well.

Might want to check your monitors color profile too. control panel -> display -> settings -> advanced -> color management (or something like this)

EJ

TheCorm

Diamond Member
Nov 5, 2000
I had this with a viewsonic once...came and went...bashing it usualy solved ;)

I also encountered it with using certain colour management software such as 3deep so what EJ said is a good thing to check too.

Cosmic_Horror

Golden Member
Oct 10, 1999
my monitor is a veiwsonic P775 17" about 4 1/2 years old...

i have changed the colour temp to 9000K and it isn't as bad but still pink...

playign with the colour correction i can't get any green to change the colour of the screen (unlike blue and red which i can saturate the screen with)

thanks again for the tips... :)