Monitor decisions~

GT578

Feb 7, 2000
I know that the topic of what the best monitor is and stuff has been talked about many times in this forum....but I have a couple of questions that I would like to get answered. I narrowed my choices down to Viewsonic PF790 and Samsung 900NF...i know these two have been compared many times...but I keep reading about the fuzzy text and unremarkable graphics about the PF790. The Samsung 900NF ...I keep hearing about the geometry problems and stuff like that......I'm planning of ordering the Samsung 900NF .....but I can also just go to my local best buy and buy the Viewsonic PF970......hard decision......any suggestions would be appreciated...thank you.

P.S. I have a V3 3500TV and sharp 2D is very important to me...

The Wildcard

Platinum Member
Oct 31, 1999
Hmm well this is what i have heard. The 900NF supposedly has some geometry problems. most common is the same i get on my sony g400. a slight curving of the top left hand corner. AS for the viewsonic pf790, i also did hear about fuzzy text, espeically at high reses when you push the monitor to its limit. i'd personally get the 900nf over the viewsonic.

BUT, go see both of the monitor.

TIP: The geometry problem i mentioned is most visible when you run INTERNET EXPLORER or NETSCAPE browser. Look at the upper left hand corner and at the seperator line between the buttons and the address bar.

GT578

Feb 7, 2000
Thanks for the replies. I used my friend's Samsung 900IFT for a bit and I found that it also had geometry problems...where I just could not get a perfect square picture...no matter how many times I tried correcting the problem. I currently have an old Samsung 17GLsi....I like the monitor...has a perfectly square picture and is sharp all around...but I just want a new one. I just went to CompUSA and looked at the Viewsonic PF790 carefully. Seems ok...except that the floor model was being run at 60hz refresh rate...which doesn't mean a thing to me.....the monitor overall looks kinda boxy and plain.....I could not find the Samsung 900NF anywhere.....but I guess I will be ordering the Samsung 900NF....

T2T III

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

<< As for fuzzy text, I don't get where that comes into play, because i can't see it. >>

Every one that I've seen has been fuzzy compared to a shadow mask monitor. Since I do a lot of text work this is not the monitor for me.

tonyou

Nov 22, 1999
Viewsonic monitors are usually tuned to have a smoother picture, sort of like anit-aliasing for the graphics cards today. Some people think it looks great that way, and others think that it's fuzziness.
Samsung monitors are in my opinion superior to those of the Viewsonic models if compared at the same price level. People in the U.S. get excellent price on Samsung monitors compared to other countries. When I was in Taiwan last year, prices for Samsung monitors are higher than the likes of NEC, Toshiba, Panasonic, Hitachi, Viewsonic, iiyama, Mitsubishi, and even Sony in most cases.

GT578

Feb 7, 2000
Again, thanks for the replies. I found a $30 rebate on Samsung's website. I also went to Oniva because I kept reading about that place in this forum. The website said free shipping for a limited time..but I couldn't confirm whether this includes monitors or not. Plus, I found that pointclick place ..gives 10% off...which if the shipping is free....would make the final price of the samsung 900nf to be under $400 .......the lowest price i could find on the viewsonic PF790 around my area was $479 ..and that was with a $20 mail-in-rebate from best buy.

bighurtx82

May 17, 2000
The free shipping applies to monitors too. I bought a Sony Trinitron E200 from Onvia a few days ago and didn't pay a cent for shipping.