Monitor Cables

chess9

Elite member
Apr 15, 2000
I have two monitors with bad cables. My daughter's new puppy chewed one today. :( I also have an old Compaq 15 incher I'm going to put a cable on. Both monitors have the cable terminating INSIDE the monitor. It's been a few years since I did this but I seem to recall the monitor end leads are soldered to the attachment points inside the monitor. Anyone done this lately? My daughter's monitor is an IBM G94, 19 incher, so I don't want to screw that one up. Anyone have a web site on monitor cable repair? Both cables are VGA 15 pin male on the case end with ferrite cores. I assume shielded 75 ohm.

Don't worry, I won't be touching the tube!

chess9

Elite member
Apr 15, 2000
Thanks folks. JP sent me a private email that was very helpful. I used his help to get the case and shielding off properly and to pull out the monitor cable. This particular monitor cable has three (3!) internal connectors. A grounded shield connector. One connector to the crt and one connector to the monitor motherboard. About 15 connections in all. I'm on hold to IBM trying to order the part because it appears to be specially wired. The re-soldering of an off the shelf cable alone could take a week! I see this is an Hitachi tube. Sheesh! I thought it was a Trinitron. :(

chess9

Elite member
Apr 15, 2000
IBM: "We don't sell parts to our monitors!" Good grief. Guess I'll have to take the cable to a shop and have them replicate it. Anyone else have any ideas?

chess9

Elite member
Apr 15, 2000
MDAY: Getting the cable out only took about 10 minutes. The problem is one of the connectors requires that you reach right next to the flyback to pull it out! :) Needless to say, I was very carefull! Looks like you were right about the cable, though.

RentaCow

Oct 10, 1999
You know you can splice those cables together... Granted you probably won't do too good of a job properly soldering the shielding surround foil, but it should work fine anyways. Possibly with a very *slight* degredation of image quality...

Also it won't make as neat a job as replacing the whole cable... But if you do it right you can normally make the splice up job inside the monitor casing, thus no visual problems when looked upon from the outside...

I've done this particular manuever once before. Had an old 14" monitor back in the day that got flexed too much. Somewhere inside the wire(s) broke and I just cut out the offending section and spliced the remaining length of cable inside the monitor chassis. Solved the problem, with the only drawback of shortening the cable a little bit (a whole lot better than an unusable monitor)...

BTW, that isn't suprising that there is only 3 wires inside plug a shield ground connection. If you think about it, you need one wire for each color (Red, Green, and Blue), and then a signal ground.

DrWermit

Feb 26, 2000
Have you thought about using a D plug to BNC cable (Dalco.com), snipping off the BNC plugs and wiring direct to the various points inside the monitor. Might work.

chess9

Elite member
Apr 15, 2000
DrWermit: Thanks for the suggestion. I might try that, but right now Hitachi has said they will try to replace the cable. The tube is their tube. I'm waiting to hear back from them a second time. They are much more responsive than IBM. Gerstner has done wonders for IBM, but they have a long way to go if they expect to develop a loyal customer base among non-corporate users.