Money well spent

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
I bought a SilenX IXP 120 mm fan last week, it got here today. It was a bit expensive for a 120mm x 25mm fan as you can get them for ~$5, this one cost about $23 shipped... pretty high price for a fan. But, it is rated at 72CFM at only 14db. Much better then the stock fan that is rated at 40CFM @ 10.7db. So, a lot more air flow at not a whole lot more noise.

I installed it on my Scythe Ninja Copper. Clean freaks and those who can't stand cases lacking cable management, don't click this link. :)

After a few minutes of OCCT running the 'small data set' (max heat) I'd get about 46.5C with the stock fan.

With the new fan the temps would bounce between 40-41C.

So anyway incase anyone cares this pricey fan did drop my temps about 5C+ overall. There are other fans that flow close to this one or even more, but they are all much, much louder which I didn't want. I can't tell a difference in the noise from the system from the previous fan but dropped some temps. Anyway, just wanted to share.

*edit - Also, OCCT shows my 12v at 9.59. I think (hope!) that it is just reading that wrong. I doubt I'd be stable, or probably not even boot.

Flipped Gazelle

Diamond Member
Sep 5, 2004
I'm a big fan (pardon the pun) of having a fairly quiet PC, so it's nice to read a post like this. Thanks for the info and opinion!

CoinOperatedBoy

Golden Member
Dec 11, 2008
I was under the impression that SilenX was considered something of a fish oil merchant when it comes to their fan specs and reliability record. Personally, I inherited two SilenX fans and both failed on me within a year, so that's the only first-hand comment I can make.

Nonetheless, it sounds like you're satisfied with the noise and temps, so well done.

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Originally posted by: CoinOperatedBoy
I was under the impression that SilenX was considered something of a fish oil merchant when it comes to their fan specs and reliability record. Personally, I inherited two SilenX fans and both failed on me within a year, so that's the only first-hand comment I can make.

Nonetheless, it sounds like you're satisfied with the noise and temps, so well done.

It was hardly a thorough test as I only ran OCCT for about 6 minutes each time, but it still gives me some idea of how the fan stacks up to the Scythe 40CFM one. As far as it failing, I guess I'll have to wait and see, I think I've run it a grand total of ~2 hours so far.

I hope I didn't buy the Bose of fans. ;) But in my very limited testing there was a measurable change in temps, so I'm happy with that.

BlueAcolyte

Platinum Member
Nov 19, 2007
Originally posted by: SlowSpyder

It was hardly a thorough test as I only ran OCCT for about 6 minutes each time, but it still gives me some idea of how the fan stacks up to the Scythe 40CFM one. As far as it failing, I guess I'll have to wait and see, I think I've run it a grand total of ~2 hours so far.

I hope I didn't buy the Bose of fans. ;) But in my very limited testing there was a measurable change in temps, so I'm happy with that.

It IS the Bose of fans... We haven't made any jokes about them in a while. But hey, if it works fine...

PCTC2

Diamond Member
Feb 18, 2007
Originally posted by: BlueAcolyte
Originally posted by: SlowSpyder

It IS the Bose of fans... We haven't made any jokes about them in a while. But hey, if it works fine...

No highs, no lows, must be Bose?

What what?

SilenX underrated their dB output? Overpriced? Does it even have static pressure?
No money, no <what rhymes with X?>, must be SilenX?

But yeah, to be serious, I loved my Yate Loons. They've been pretty much destroyed in my continuous rebuilding of computers. But there were 6x on my PA 120.3 and they moved as much air as my current fans at the same noise level and cost 1/6 the price (I'm using Zalman ZM-F3's right now. My Antec Tri-Cools, at the same noise level, perform nowhere near as well as the Yates.

yh125d

Diamond Member
Dec 23, 2006
Yeah, I really don't believe those ratings. The CFM is higher and the dB lower than most same rpm fans of the same bearings

BlueAcolyte

Platinum Member
Nov 19, 2007
I do recall I said they conducted the noise tests on a highway and the airflow tests with a Sanyo Denki behind it.

Duvie

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2001
The antec tricool 120's I bought were cheaper and offer a slightly higher cfm at full speed but that is at 2000rpm (which is still relatively quiet)....so for 74cfm at 1400rpm? That is pretty damn nice...tells me they should be able to have a 90cfm fan at 2000rpm....

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
I like my Silenx....Quiet and seems to cool good.

pm

Elite Member Mobile Devices
Jan 25, 2000
I changed all the fans in my case over to PWM last week - and I'm very happy with the change. Surfing the web or working in Excel or Word, the fan speed is ~1000rpm and pretty much inaudible and then it ramps up to 2200rpm or higher as the CPU temp goes up when I'm engaged in a 100+ person castle siege in Warhammer. :)

The Artic Cooling 120mm PWM fans that I bought are more like 56cfm at 1500rpm. 72cfm at 1400 is very impressive.

A quiet system is a beautiful thing.