Money no object, style is everything case?

Magicthyse

Golden Member
Aug 15, 2001
Well, it's not NO object, lets say under $1000 for the case.

Until I came here, I didn't realise that there was such variety in the enclosure market. I'm going to have a new main PC for me and a PC for a friend built, and I'd like to have some of your recommendations re: cases.

Since some members seem to have sunk into total geekdom (completely clear cases - there really is no hope for some...) I ought to stress that I'm not looking for novelty. I'm looking for style. I want something from the Pininfarina of cases, if you will. Something that perhaps surpasses Apple's efforts by some degree?

I've already looked into the 'mild designer' end - I bought a Suntek Vision case for my Duron PC, and it's great for the price but I ended up not that impressed wih the looks overall. The Cooler Master aluminium cases interested me but I don't think they look good enough.

Materials / extra fixtures largely unimportant, as long as it can comfortably accomodate a 2Ghz P4, 1x combo CD-RW/DVD, an ATX mobo and two 3.5" SCSI HDD's. I am willing to also look at microATX cases as well - if it's sufficiently good looking and there are no decent ATX alternatives, I might go that way.

Ideally, 2 USB ports and a Firewire port to be presented at front, but I have no idea how to do that since all the mobo's I've seen come with the extra USB ports on a standard slot plate. However a Gateway I 'inherited' last week has USB ports on the front, so I assume you must be able to buy case headers if the case has the capability to mount USB ports on the front panel.

Any suggestions?

MichaelD

Lifer
Jan 16, 2001
Surpasses Apple's efforts? Little purple and yellow girlie plastic cases? Bwahahahahahahaha! You're a funny guy! :D Thanks for the laugh.

Seriously though, IMO, the best looking case out there are the new ones from Coolermaster. Check it out here It's even got the front USB ports you wanted. You'll need to a add another $150 for a decent power supply. So your looking at about $500 total.

Magicthyse

Golden Member
Aug 15, 2001
<<the best looking case out there are the new ones from Coolermaster. >>
These were the ones I didn't think looked good enough - I did look at these, and the new ones with the perspex cover around the front.

Bovinicus

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2001
I personally am very fond of the Lian-Li Aluminum cases. They look stylish, cool well, and use all thumbscrews.

Echo42

Jan 11, 2001
Id suggest a Lian Li PC-62 USB. Small, yet large enough to fit everything. Elegant looking, yet still subtle ;)

if you wanna make it look REALLY cool for an extra $200.00 or so, get it annodized. http://www.faraday-cases.com/Images/otherpics/Dsc601.htm there is a link to a SWEET lian li case....annodized.

www.so-trickcomputers.com can hook ya up with the case, and at least a contact with the annodize guy if they dont offer his services on their check out page. for minimal extra they will also put holes in it for ya ;)

Magicthyse

Golden Member
Aug 15, 2001
<<soldam>>

Jeez, I thought people had grown out of Japlish
The Jazz is I think a bit too 'industrial' for me.

Magicthyse

Golden Member
Aug 15, 2001
Am I being too picky? After the Apple PowerMac G4, and to a lesser extent the VAIO LX1, these things - Lian Li / CoolerMaster / Enermax / Soldam - looks like the back of a bus.
Surely there must be something more 'designed' out there?

Anyone? Puleeeeeez?

MichaelD

Lifer
Jan 16, 2001
Well, you know, you did mention a budget of 1K. I'm sure for that money, a competant machinist/metal worker will build you whatever you want. You seem to be nixing every single idea we throw at you.

You seem to be searching for individualism more than "a stylish, quality case". Ever hear of case modding? There are entire websites devoted to nothing but the creativity and ingenuity of the individual regarding the metal and plastic box that houses more metal and plastic parts that make up a PC.

Why don't you do this:

1. Write down/sketch out exactly the specs and dimensions/general look that you want.
2. Find a prebuilt case that's close
3. Mod it, or pay someone to do it.

Lots of folks would rather pay someone else to put two blowholes and fans in a case than do it themselves. How about that idea?

EDIT:
I have two Antec cases: a KS282 and a SX1040. The 1040 is a professional server-grade case. Nothing to sneeze at. But then again, I didn't have a 1K budget.

Magicthyse

Golden Member
Aug 15, 2001
Hmmmm, intriguing idea, MichaelD.

I don't have any issues with the fact that they're fine cases. It's just that they aren't pretty enough. I'll look into the custom way. I suspect however that my budget won't go very far if I wanted something suitably swoopy made from a base case...

Magicthyse

Golden Member
Aug 15, 2001
Thanks Jayczar.

I hate to nitpick again, but all the featured designs look like cheap Japanese micro hi-fis...

Darn, this is harder than I thought!

MichaelD

Lifer
Jan 16, 2001
You'd be surprised. What seems extremely difficult and "impossible" to the inexperienced or uniformed may be child's play for someone who has been modding cases for 10 years. That would not be me, BTW; I've cut blowholes and windows and things like that but I've seen some awesome stuff done to cases.

Most "excessive" (IMO) mods are for looks or "geek factor" I, myself, am much more of a "functional" person. If it helps cooling, it's good. Windows and neon do nothing for cooling, but if done right, look great. Good luck to you on you Quest For The Holy Grail Of All Cases.

phatstyl

Golden Member
Feb 9, 2001
why not just buy a mac??!! or why not buy a POS vaio and put your equipment in that case. Either make your own case or buy a mac, those seem to be the only options you are giving yourself

MichaelD

Lifer
Jan 16, 2001
Jayczar, where did you find that page? That ROCKS! I love custom built PC cases/subwoofers/entertainment centers anything made of wood/laminated /stained, etc. Nice link!!! :cool:

Echo42

Jan 11, 2001
like i said with the lian lis, you can get them in any 2 colors you want and they look STUNNING...not your standard at all....

but yea, it sounds like you need a modded case or something.....if someone just plain old made this case you want in the retail sector, everyone would have it and then it wouldnt be what you wanted anymore :p

stevens

Aug 11, 2001
Get a coolermaster. They are the best looking, and just dont get a mac. Its not worth it. Go to coolermaster and go to their case section. Look at all of their cases.

damocles

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Am I being too picky? After the Apple PowerMac G4, and to a lesser extent the VAIO LX1, these things - Lian Li / CoolerMaster / Enermax / Soldam - looks like the back of a bus.

Not many PCs have that Apple look( personally i'm glad of that, but that's just me). Generally the better PC cases are designed with cooling in mind as much as style which i don't think is a major factor for an Apple chassis.

Places like colourcase and colourcases try a little more for that iMac look but they usually fail and the cases aren't always that good either