Mom's new laptop (purchased Walmart special Celeron dual-core 4205U Lenovo laptop)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Well, I was going to hold off, but Walmart this weekend dropped the pricing on the dual-core big-Core Celeron version of the Lenovo S145 15.6" laptop, 4GB DDR4, 128GB SSD, 1.80Ghz (no turbo, sadly, no HT, no AVX/AVX2) to $199.99 again, so I bit on it.

I'll let you know how my mom likes it. It should perform better than her current laptop, and it will be far, far less of a PITA to do a "major" Windows 10 upgrade on it, due to the increased storage space. (Shoe-horning those upgrade updates onto a 32GB eMMC can be... difficult, in some cases, depending on how much OEM software is pre-installed, and how much space the upgrade needs.) Hopefully, this will mean that she can just leave Windows Update on Automatic, and I won't have to get involved, unless it screws up somehow.

Hopefully, it will be lightweight. (If it's under 4lbs, it should be. My Ryzen 3 3200U 14" HP slim laptop is like 3.3lbs, and that's fairly lightweight, although I think that my mom's IdeaPad 100S is actually something like 2.2lbs, being an 11.6" screen laptop.)