Mods: Please Delete This Thread

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
Originally posted by: Drekce
Originally posted by: Analog
If the check engine light comes on, then a code is stored. Find out what that code was. It will store the code even if the light goes out.

Not true. There is a different malfunction light for most coded problems. The light that is coming on is for the emission control system (usually loose gas cap). As I said, I already had the car looked at and there were no codes stored and nothing wrong according to the mechanic.

Time for a new mechanic if he wasn't able to tell you why your engine light was coming on.

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
Go to Autozone or somewhere and get the actual code readout. If you're having emissions type problems, it's more likely that you got a lean mix of gas that caused your Oxygen sensor to fail.

If so, while at autozone you can borrow their wrenches and swap it out in the parking lot.

Otherwise, check your gas cap.

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
Originally posted by: Scarpozzi
Go to Autozone or somewhere and get the actual code readout. If you're having emissions type problems, it's more likely that you got a lean mix of gas that caused your Oxygen sensor to fail.

If so, while at autozone you can borrow their wrenches and swap it out in the parking lot.

QFT

Zenmervolt

Elite member
Oct 22, 2000
Originally posted by: bigal40
For older cars ethanol will clean off all the gunk built up on the walls of the fuel tank and it could mess up the fuel filter. My dads 1984 porsche 944 started having trouble starting, ran rough and stalled out occasionally after he started getting the e10 gas. Had to replace the filter and now only put e0 gas in it. I think most shells have no ethanol in their gas even though they seem to be a little more expensiv.e

That's the very first 944 I've ever heard of having problems with E10. E10 simply doesn't cause those kinds of problems.

ZV

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
Originally posted by: oldsmoboat
Originally posted by: Scarpozzi

QFT
And it might not be that it's loose. It might be damaged and is no longer able to produce a normal seal.

Jan 18, 2001
I vote for gas cap.

Just had my accord in the shop for a check engine light. It was the gas cap. I replaced the gas cap and the engine light went off. 3 days later the light went off again, and guess what?! It was the new gas cap. I replaced that gas cap and now everything is good.

:beer:

makken

Golden Member
Aug 28, 2004
Next time the light comes on, head to autozone and borrow their code reader (your car is an OBDII right?) Usually, they will lend it to you for a refundable cash deposit. plug it in, write down the codes, then while you're at autozone, ask them to look up what the code means for you. (or google it)

Until then.. did you check your gas cap?