Modifying Backlight on Saitek Eclipse

bobross419

Golden Member
Oct 25, 2007
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16823175104

Does anyone know how the backlights are setup on this? My computer has a purple/yellow scheme and would love to be able to get a keyboard like this and swap the LEDs for purple ones. Are they soldered in? I'm assuming that they are and I do have some soldering experience under my belt so it wouldn't be too much of a stretch to replace them.

Thanks

Ika

Lifer
Mar 22, 2006
the Eclipse II has a purple light setting, but I don't know if it's the same shade as your computer.

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
Eclipse II has three colors. Red, Blue and purple. Purple is merely the combination of red and blue. I had one and trashed it after a year+. Some keys started to not work.

Ergonomically, the best color for low light environment is red - it does not upset your night vision, and is why military vehicles have red instrumentation lighting

Ika

Lifer
Mar 22, 2006
I dont know about you guys, but I thought the Eclipse 2 was a fine keyboard. Almost comparable with my current Logitech G11, but the only problem was the black paint on the keys (especially the WASD and Shift keys) was starting to wear after a year and a half. I gave it to my roommate, who's still using it today with no problems. It's currently two years old.

Also, I remembered the purple lighting being a little lighter than in Anubis' pic.

WT

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2000
Lovin' my Eclipse II as well. No signs of any paint wear on the keys, and I am told that you can request new individual keys from Saitek in the event you have some that wear off.

I always use the purple, even tho it doesn't match any of my other components.For me, it is the easiest to see in dark conditions.

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
I have two Eclipse II keyboards and I use the red at night. I've owned a couple of the original Eclipse keyboards as well. Great product. Never have had one break yet.