Modern Warfare 2 intro screen freeze and other issues

Interitus

Platinum Member
Jan 28, 2004
So I've had MW2 installed for about a month. I don't have much time to play it, but I've been working my way through the single player and the special ops missions. Around a week ago, Steam downloaded a patch for the game and my install has been screwed since then.

I was playing the game for a few minutes right before the patch, and I had some kind of popup on the desktop that booted me out. Can't remember what it was, something like anti-virus new version spam or something... Anyways, it wasn't malware or anything, and I had to close MW2 after popup because it just wouldn't go back into the game after being tabbed out. (It's happened before, this wasn't abnormal)

When I reloaded the game, a patch downloaded for MW2. (Jan 18th, now that I looked) Ever since that patch, and I mean effective immediately after the patch downloaded, the game consistently freezes at the startup screen and has crackling sound during the load screens between levels in single player. After the initial freeze, I can wait a few minutes and the menu pops up, but the only opening screen I see is the "i" with the red atom logo, then the screen goes blank and then bam, minutes later the menu pops up.

Anyone else have this issue or ideas on what it could be?

Things I have tried:

1) Validating game files through Steam
2) Disabling Steam community in-game
3) Loading in safe mode, then backing all settings down to minimal, including sound acceleration
4) Playing with game's .exe process priority

None of these have helped. I doubt it's my hardware, everything else runs great. Even Crysis and Warhead run smoother than MW2 right now. Looked around on the net, it's where I found the 4 things I've tried so far. Only other thing I can think of is some kind of video driver issue or corrupted game files, which I would assume isn't the case, but in a last ditch I'll try reinstalling the game.

Hardware:
e8400 @ stock 3.0ghz
4GB RAM (3 in XP)
XFX 5850

Thanks in advance for any help.

Interitus

Platinum Member
Jan 28, 2004
I really give up on this. I've seen others complain about the same problems, but nobody's found a fix for it yet. It's not really game-hindering, but it's annoying anyways.

I tried the 9.11 Cats, 9.12+hotfix, fresh game reinstall on a diff machine running an nvidia card, turning down sound acceleration, loading with virtually nothing running in the background, nothing helps this. The fact that it behaves similarly on a different machine with totally different parts is mind boggling too. This has to be some kind of problem with Steam or something. I can't even set Steam not to update anything, it always reverts back to auto-update and does so before first run of the game on a fresh install.

Argh.