• Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. See the full details in the post "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."

Modern nuke plants

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

rcpratt

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
The GE ESBWR design, which has been licensed by the NRC, has this feature although no one has contracted to build one yet.
Fermi 3 is looking at a 3Q 2013 license, however. Not sure that it technically meets whatever standards constitute "walkaway safe," but it's surely the closest we have.

/gloat

Steeplerot

Lifer
Mar 29, 2004
not that you're looking for any actual debates anyway. you say the proponents only know industry talking points, yet I've seen nothing but anti-nuke activist talking points from you either, so on that front I'd say you guys are even.

threads like these are pointless, you have people who argue on nothing other than pure technical capability while ignoring real world implications after corporation and politics set in, and then you have people who argue with nothing other than doomsday scenarios while ignoring any flaws in alternatives that they support.

basically, your typical internet argument.

also, if you can't see why what moon was saying was crazy, then you're lost as well. It's one thing to be anti-nuclear for logical reasons with merits, it's another to be anti-nuke because all women are loving and sweet and apparently are all genetically prescient, which apparently also tells them that nuclear power will destroy mankind thus making all women anti nuclear.
I think he was more speaking of the fact that Nuke power is a male industry since being utterly suicidal with machinery that is big makes some guys feel more "manly".

Just another Damascus sword held over our heads by insecure men in power.

Nuke Power is like collecting guns or fast cars, its a compensation thing.

I always thought that politicians, gun nuts and other fields at attract power-trippers should have pen0r checks -"you must be this tall to ride." Watch cops/politicians/industrialists suddenly weed out the most corrupt. ;)

Last edited:

chris9641

Dec 8, 2006
I think he was more speaking of the fact that Nuke power is a male industry since being utterly suicidal with machinery that is big makes some guys feel more "manly".

Just another Damascus sword held over our heads by insecure men in power.

Nuke Power is like collecting guns or fast cars, its a compensation thing.

I always thought that politicians, gun nuts and other fields at attract power-trippers should have pen0r checks -"you must be this tall to ride." Watch cops/politicians/industrialists suddenly weed out the most corrupt. ;)
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds."

What Oppenheimer was thinking when he discovered the power of the splitting of the atom.

Now I am Become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds
Oppenheimer
We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried. Most people were silent. I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita; Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty, and to impress him, takes on his multi-armed form and says, 'Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.' I suppose we all thought that, one way or another.

Last edited:

ASK THE COMMUNITY