Modern games...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sweenish

Diamond Member
May 21, 2013
I have never understood why old people feel the need to announce their age.

I don't care. It's irrelevant to the conversation.

And one never needs to have played Pong in their 20's when it was new to observe the trends that are brought up, either. Since these trends are ever only over the last five years, or maybe the last decade.

Age equates to some more general experience, but that doesn't always equate to more wisdom, at least on a topic like this.

I mean, yes, games are demanding a connection more and more. But your example is a game widely regarded for its online multiplayer? Everyone knows the BF SP campaigns are just tacked on. And we're ignoring the fact that the Internet is far more prevalent than it was a decade ago. Being connected, except for the odd occasions, is not a big deal.

Let me know when a game like Witcher 3 requires an always online connection.

BSim500

Golden Member
Jun 5, 2013
I have never understood why old people feel the need to announce their age.
Same reason why young people do exactly the same thing? [Loads up a typical 1960's music video on Youtube and looks at comments "I'm only 14 and I LOVE this era of music!", etc). Sometimes they'll put the information out there to gauge what resonates with those of a similar / different age or to combat general ageist stereotypes.

Age equates to some more general experience, but that doesn't always equate to more wisdom, at least on a topic like this.
I haven't seen any "old person" boast they're "smarter" than anyone else in this thread. You may be reading far more into people's words & intentions than what they've actually written themselves.

Let me know when a game like Witcher 3 requires an always online connection.
Witcher 3 will never require an always online connection, partly due to the fact DRM-free W3 GOG sales have outstripped Steam's despite GOG being a much smaller platform. You can thank those DRM-free proponents like the "oldie OP" of this thread, for a large chunk of those "you actually own the game, not merely rent it" sales that render any attempt at future DRM changes utterly futile for this game... ;)

Arg Clin

Oct 24, 2010
Close to you in age, and I too bemoan the trend toward online multiplayer. Bottom line I guess, is that is is much easier and cheaper to make Modern Warfare xxx or Battlefield xxx, and just make some new maps, maybe a few new weapons and gameplay enhancements, charge 60.00 for it and call it a day rather than make a single play game with a huge amount of content like Skyrim or Witcher 3. I finished Dragon Age Inquisition and am currently playing Witcher 3, and to be honest, after these, I am pretty much going back to older games, play some I missed and even replay a few of the ones I really loved. No games currently on the horizon really interest me except perhaps Fallout 4 and if it were to have a decent single player, the new Battlefront. But I think it will just be Battlefield in Space.

I feel exactly the same way. Except I've already done DA:I and Witcher3. So now Im on 2 playthrough on Witcher3, because while it gets repetitive to some extent it's still much more fun than whatever online multiplayer is out there these days.

Considering how popular these titles are (Witcher3, Dragon Age, Mass Effect etc) I would think there is a market for more quality singleplayer games. Might not be enough skilled people out there to make them though(?) I have no idea, just feels odd to have money burning in my pocket, that's all.

runzwithsizorz

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2002
I too do not play multiplayer on line, but I am interested in Star Citizen (Chris Roberts space sim). It looks to be a ground breaking on line game if all goes as planned.

I also like TES 3,4,5 with mods...IMO modding these games is half the fun.

The Wife

sweenish

Diamond Member
May 21, 2013
Same reason why young people do exactly the same thing? [Loads up a typical 1960's music video on Youtube and looks at comments "I'm only 14 and I LOVE this era of music!", etc). Sometimes they'll put the information out there to gauge what resonates with those of a similar / different age or to combat general ageist stereotypes.

I haven't seen any "old person" boast they're "smarter" than anyone else in this thread. You may be reading far more into people's words & intentions than what they've actually written themselves.

Witcher 3 will never require an always online connection, partly due to the fact DRM-free W3 GOG sales have outstripped Steam's despite GOG being a much smaller platform. You can thank those DRM-free proponents like the "oldie OP" of this thread, for a large chunk of those "you actually own the game, not merely rent it" sales that render any attempt at future DRM changes utterly futile for this game... ;)

Please point me at the 60 year olds calling shots at gog.com.

Wanting a DRM-free experience is not exclusive to old people. That's a fallacious argument.

sweenish

Diamond Member
May 21, 2013
You're right, I misread what you were saying.

Which actually makes it a completely different fallacious argument. The fact that you assume to know the age breakdown of those purchasing from gog.com versus other digital distributors (that include their own form of DRM) for Witcher 3. And if you don't have hard data, it should go without saying it won't count for squat. Your assumptions are just that.

Go ahead and tell me that I don't own the entire Witcher series on gog, or that naturally it's the older people buying it exclusively from gog.com.

BSim500

Golden Member
Jun 5, 2013
Which actually makes it a completely different fallacious argument. The fact that you assume to know the age breakdown of those purchasing from gog.com versus other digital distributors [SNIP]
Again, I never said that either, and again, you are reading WAY more into what people are writing, assuming what you know 'what they really think' and then arguing against your own projected false assumptions. You complained "old people" commented on their age. I pointed out young people do the same. You expressed feigned concern over Witcher 3 needing always on online connection. I then pointed out that the Witcher 3 will not include DRM due most sales being on DRM-free GOG which precludes that, of which a shared DRM-free concern (in general) and DRM-free proponents included the 68yo OP. Nowhere did I remotely say "only old people care about DRM, I think the average GOG customers age is x, whilst Steam's is y", etc.

Go ahead and tell me that I don't own the entire Witcher series on gog, or that naturally it's the older people buying it exclusively from gog.com.
Um, why? Is that what you think I 'must' be thinking? Because it sure isn't what I wrote...

sweenish

Diamond Member
May 21, 2013
Never mind. I'll just end the side discussion here.

The fact is, this thread is a joke by virtue of the poor example given, and OP's age has no bearing whatsoever on the topic.

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2008
Wow serious thread necro here.

Can we get a tag in the header?

Hmm, didnt notice that. Topic still seems relevant though.

Edit: I dont think the single player/online argument is about DRM. It is more about the type of gameplay. And age is relevant because it is difficult for an older person to compete with a bunch of teenagers with razor sharp eyesight and quick reflexes, and an unlimited amount of testosterone fueled competitive machismo.

I dont like always online DRM, but I will play single player games that require an internet connection, but I dont play multiplayer online.

Last edited:

sweenish

Diamond Member
May 21, 2013
Age is not relevant to the discussion in this thread.

Because the discussion in this thread is not about competing. It's about needing an online connection. I don't know how you could possibly infer competing from OP.

JujuFish

Lifer
Feb 3, 2005
Age is not relevant to the discussion in this thread.

Because the discussion in this thread is not about competing. It's about needing an online connection. I don't know how you could possibly infer competing from OP.
You do realize you're the one who keeps discussing age in the thread, don't you?

sweenish

Diamond Member
May 21, 2013
I brought it up, what, twice? Every other mention is a reply to the same discussion. This is how a forum works.

Once to make my initial point, and again to summarize what my point was due to getting side-railed.

So, sue me for declaring something and discussing it? What's your point?

futurefields

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2012
sometimes i read old stuff i wrote and then its like "whoa that was me"

sometimes i feel like i've gone downhill in language and reasoning