Modelling zombie infestation

Mo0o

Lifer
Jul 31, 2001
Realistically speaking, with virus like Rage where there is no incubation period and the infected become damn running animals, how quickly can it actually spread before it's containable?

I feel like could be modeled based on population density etc. It might be impossible in an urban setting but it should be plausible to keep it there. Chances are these things would have difficulty finding it's way to the countryside. If they're running on the roads they're easy to pick off, if they're running on hills and suck, i figure they're likely to break a lot of bones and eventually incapacitate themselves before getting too far.

Kelvrick

Lifer
Feb 14, 2001
Situatinos like what you described is why I have a stockpile of ammunition and supplies.

When they ask why I need so many bullets, I whisper, "when the zombies come..." while stroking the barrel of my gun.

Mo0o

Lifer
Jul 31, 2001
Originally posted by: Kelvrick
Situatinos like what you described is why I have a stockpile of ammunition and supplies.

When they ask why I need so many bullets, I whisper, "when the zombies come..." while stroking the barrel of my gun.
i keep it more ambiguous. I just say: "when they come..."

illusion88

Lifer
Oct 2, 2001
SPOILERS FOR 28 WEEKS LATER

If you saw the movie you would know that the infected run quite well over country side. There are two scenes that show this. The first scene where the guy leaves his wife, and then the helicopter scene. The infected have no problem running over hills and country side. Besides, you don't see the infected running into walls and beating themselves up against structures (or themselves) EXCEPT when they are recently infected. So we can assume that the infected are aware enough to get around rocks, pot holes, trees, and other obstacles without causing further injury to themselves.

Mo0o

Lifer
Jul 31, 2001
Originally posted by: illusion88

If you saw the movie you would know that the infected run quite well over country side. There are two scenes that show this. The first scene where the guy leaves his wife, and then the helicopter scene. The infected have no problem running over hills and country side. Besides, you don't see the infected running into walls and beating themselves up against structures (or themselves) EXCEPT when they are recently infected. So we can assume that the infected are aware enough to get around rocks, pot holes, trees, and other obstacles without causing further injury to themselves.
Well given their frantic pace of running, it would be pretty hard to run in dense forestry, especially on really rocky terrain. I saw teh movie and i agree it would be easy on the rolling hills but I can't see them making particularly good time in a place like the pacific northwest

illusion88

Lifer
Oct 2, 2001
Originally posted by: Mo0o

Well given their frantic pace of running, it would be pretty hard to run in dense forestry, especially on really rocky terrain. I saw teh movie and i agree it would be easy on the rolling hills but I can't see them making particularly good time in a place like the pacific northwest

They don't need to. It only takes a few to spread it (you figure any amount of survivors can get rid of one). The ones that make it beyond the pack are the ones you worry about. If they have no trouble on stairs in the dark (not to mention obstacles like a train/tracks, bodies and walls) they can make it almost anywhere. Besides, did you see how fast the infected ran up the stairs + climbed the shopping cart ladder in the first movie?

pcslookout

Lifer
Mar 18, 2007
Originally posted by: Mo0o

Spoiler if you haven't seen 28 weeks later yet.

I loved the part where all the infected started running after that guy in the beginning. That part was so freaky and amazing! Could you imagine if this kind of virus could actually happen ? What would you do ? How would you try to survive ?

I really didn't expect the part where the guy in the helicopter kills all the infected with the blades of the helicopter! That scene was so well done! Best most original idea ever for a horror movie like this!

nonameo

Diamond Member
Mar 13, 2006
Originally posted by: Kelvrick

???

WTF do you need to stockpile ammo for? Just run into the nearest warehouse and bust up some crates. You are sure to find plenty of weapons/ammo/armor/health that way.

sheesh, don't you guys know anything about real life combat?

GMI

Jun 6, 2005
but that simulation are for slow moving zombies man! What are we ever going to do when the olypmic runner zombies attack?

Kelvrick

Lifer
Feb 14, 2001
That simulation doesn't take into account if certain humans can kill zombies fairly efficiently.

Sides, I also stockpile ammo because prices go up, rarely down. :( Trips to the range cost more and more these days