MoDaCo.SWITCH - Dual Boot GPe and Sense/TouchWiz *UPDATE 8/23 GS4 version in beta!

Crono

Lifer
Aug 8, 2001
I could have posted this in just the HTC One thread(s), but apparently the GS4 version is on its way.
It started off as an indiegogo campaign. Here's the current GS4 campaign (goals met already).

http://www.modaco.com/page/news/_/a...the-htc-one-public-beta-s4-announcement-r1206

I am really liking the MoDaCo.SWITCH ROM, currently in public beta. It lets you run both GPe Android 4.2.2 and the Sense 5 HTC ROM (also 4.2.2), or TouchWiz when the GS4 version is ready. Simply run the included "Switch" app and you go back and forth with a reboot in between. App data is shared between them, so you aren't running two sets of apps.

There really isn't much difference to me between almost-Vanilla GPe and Sense 5 in terms of speed, so it's not maybe the useful dual boot, but I wanted to test both, and see what feature set worked better. The developer says they are releasing "Switch" to other developers so we could more dual (dare I say triple or multi?) boot ROMs in the future. :)

Ignore the giant app icons, that's just the result of Giganticon which I installed. Don't be put off of the ROM because of that. :D

qfko.png

7056.png

15x7.png

nqh8.png

q935.png

cxub.png

Last edited:

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
This is so cool regardless of its practicality. It is exactly what I expected to happen when GE phones were announced.

zaydq

Jul 8, 2012
I'm running modaco switch on my HTC one and I'm loving it. Really fun to be able to switch whenever I want some aosp.

Oct 25, 2006
Will this ever get ported to other phones? I dont really see a reason why this has to be exclusive to the GPE.

zaydq

Jul 8, 2012
The developer plans on just doing the HTC one and gs4 a since they are already offered in both sense/touch wiz as well as stock android.

Down the road he said he will try and make it work with custom roms as well. I think development will stay with these 2 phones and every GPe phone in the future.