MOBO Question

sonicdrummer20

Jul 2, 2008
I have a Shuttle XPC SP35P2 PRO. I am wondering if the motherboard is shot, I powered it off prior to leaving for a vacation on the 25th of December. When I returned on the 1st of January, I powered it on and attempted to login, after the mouse flashed briefly the computer stayed frozen on the bios screen. My question is this, I sent it of for a motherboard problem in June or July, what should I do?

P.S. The warranty has run out so it will cost $75 to ship it and $150 to tell me whats wrong with it.

A. Send it off for an RMA repair.

B. Salvage what I can and build a newer better computer when the funds are available, (6-8 months) This is my main computer, but I have a Desktop replacement which will suffice for now.

Update: I unplugged the hard disks and it posted, plugged them back in and now its working fine. I fucking hate when that happens.

Last edited:

deeppow

Jul 5, 2003
Could be mobo as you suggest but I would do a little troubleshooting first. For example, will it boot into bios (not frozen) with
1) one stick RAM at a time and use a couple different memory slots
2) disconnected hard drives
3) any other variations you can think of.

If you still can't get it to post then option B.

perdomot

Golden Member
Dec 7, 2004
If its just the mobo, you could buy another mobo with a new case +PSU and redo the system for under $100. personally, I would upgrade to either the new intel SB or if money is tight an AMD quad.

deeppow

Jul 5, 2003
If there isn't a quick and easy fix, perdomot's suggestion is a good one. Lots of room to move up from the P35 chipset even if you're funds are limited. With Sand Bridge out, prices will go down on the older motherboards and chips. Also while AMD isn't the fastest, it is always a reasonable choice. I've had many a good year running AMD in the past.