Mobility Radeon upgrade

WannabeSQ

Jul 9, 2002
I have a Laptop with a Mobility radeon 8MB DDR. It is a Compaq Presario 1720US with 512 mb ram and xp pro. The games I play (jedi outcast) work just fine, I just want a bit smoother graphics (im not that picky with graphics, I think my friends GeForce 2 MX 200 is good enough). His is a bit smoother than mine, and I found an upgrade on ebay to 32MB ddr ram. Would that give me the performance I need? I cant even run higher than 640x480 now. Is it worth it to upgrade?

hans007

Lifer
Feb 1, 2000
32mb on that laptop is supposed to be faster, it'll probably be about as fast as the gf2mx200 in that case. the reason is that with 8mb , one bank of the ram isnt installed, or something , so the bus bandwith is not as high.

the radeon mobility m6 is what you have, and it should be about as fast as a radeon ve i believe. the real radeon ve, can have a 64bit ddr bus, but i think in configurations where it has only 8mb which is the internal memory on the die for the mobiltiy version it will only have a 32bit bus to memory. i could be wrong though.

WannabeSQ

Jul 9, 2002
sounds good. From what I can tell with my limited windows knowledge snooping around, The auctioneer said that I take out the 8 meg chip and replace it with the 32 meg chip. And in windows, i think it has 8 megs internal, and 8 megs on the upgradable chip? Am I correct here? Im new to video card stuff and am just starting out.

PS, do you know how I can see the framerate inside of Jedi Outcast?