Mobility graphics driver updates

Jul 8, 2004
I've seen and used the program that allows you to modify the standard drivers for use on a laptop, but where are the official drivers? Does anyone know if/when the ATI will ever release drivers that include mobile products? I just thought that by now ATI would start making some updates for all of the mobile products that they have been shipping. I tried contacting their customer care and they gave me the following answer:
The Mobility drivers supplied with a given laptop, notebook or third party video card, have been specially modified to work in conjunction with the flat panel display and any other graphics or video options installed in that specific computer.
Isn't that like trying to say because every desktop manufacturer uses a different brand CRT or video options...

I guess the question might also apply to Nvidia based cards as well. This is starting to bug me especially since the laptop market is growing so much and more people are starting to look at gaming laptops.

Jan 31, 2002
ATI doesn't release "mobile drivers" - they release the Catalysts and let the notebook manufacturer modify them to work. Which naturally takes an age.

Sticking to the Mobility Modder, as you're doing now it seems, is the best course of action.

- M4H

nealh

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 1999
use the oemga drivers ..his use the most updated ati drivers and work with mobile chips..I just palced the omega 2.5.9.0 based on the beta 8.07 on my laptop with a radeon 9600 pro

http://www.omegadrivers.net/

MDE

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
I use whatever the new-fangled ATI modder is on my Mobility 9600 laptop and it works without much of an issue. One thing that I noticed is that there's no option in the new ATI CCC to disable streching (say your screen has a native resolution of 1280x800 and you run a game at 1024x768, it gets squished and stretched). It doesn't really bother me much because CCC is dog ass slow on my laptop anyways and I almost never touch any of the options other than AF.

nealh

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 1999
consider the omega drivers..it allows tweaks including AI without the CCC

MDE

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Originally posted by: nealh
consider the omega drivers..it allows tweaks including AI without the CCC
Or I can just download the package without the CCC and mod them.

nealh

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 1999

No modding necessary

just d/l and install his drivers they are premodded to work with the mobility chips..I installed them on my laptop ..I installed the drivers..then needed to do a separate install of radlinker in his package to get the 3d tweaks and AI...funny thing was his installation on my desktop system did everything auto..not separate install of the radlinker....may have been an issue for me..these drivers are great

Jul 8, 2004
Thanks for the replies everyone. I'll give the omega drivers a try, but I still think ATI should step up to the plate and start taking care of mobile users. :p

Firus

Nov 16, 2001
Originally posted by: nealh
use the oemga drivers ..his use the most updated ati drivers and work with mobile chips..I just palced the omega 2.5.9.0 based on the beta 8.07 on my laptop with a radeon 9600 pro

http://www.omegadrivers.net/

Are you getting the choppy video playback problem with the newest Omega's? I know all hte latest omegas have a huge video playback problem, I had to go back to a release that is 3 versions old in order to get videos playing. Now games are suffering as a result.

nealh

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 1999
I have not tried any videos yet...

I use my laptop for dictation..I will try a videop later

nealh

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 1999
no video playback issues with my laptop with radeon 9600 pro with 64mg of ram

I have a N5010 P4 3.0 HT with 1gb ram...16in crystal view display....

I am using the omega 2.5.9.0....based on the 8.07 betas...

Also I recently updated to SP2