Mobile Phone Revenue/Profit By Company

Discussion in 'Mobile Devices & Gadgets' started by Patranus, Feb 3, 2012.

1. smartpatrol

smartpatrol Senior member

IMO the biggest problem is that it's a race to the bottom. If your biggest selling point is your low price, and you're essentially selling a commodity product, your customers will leave as soon as another company undercuts you.

Apple thinks very hard about every product they release. They are extremely careful not to put out a product that could tarnish their brand. They'd rather put out one AAA device than 5 B+ devices. As a result, they have earned a reputation that MS, Samsung, Motorola etc. would kill for. People get excited when Apple announces something new. It's not because Apple fans are mindless sheep. It's because Apple has earned a reputation for only putting out great products.

Along with that come customers who are willing to spend a little more for quality. Those are coincidentally the same ones who actually pay money for apps and content.

Could Samsung do that? I'd say yes, but it would take them years to build up the reputation for quality that Apple has.

2. bearxor

bearxor Diamond Member

#1 reason I bailed on WinMo 4 years ago. So tired of having a perfectly fine device that gets left behind by software updates.

I was burned on the 6600 and the 700wx. I wasn't going to let it happen again. And it would have, because I probably would have gotten a Treo Pro.

3. corkyg

corkyg Elite Member<br>Super Moderator <br>Peripherals
    Super Moderator

4. Patranus

Patranus Diamond Member

#29 Patranus, Feb 4, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2012
  5. WelshBloke

WelshBloke Lifer

Is it supposed to make me want to use Apple more or less knowing that they will chisel more money out of me than anyone else?

6. TheStu

TheStu Moderator<br>Mobile Devices & Gadgets

Yea but they aren't getting it out of you. Flagship devices cost ~$199 across the board, so it isn't like everyone else is $99 (and not a hair over) and only Apple is priced at $199. So their profits are coming from their supply chain from top to bottom probably.

7. WelshBloke

WelshBloke Lifer

Yeah but if they are making that amount per unit then they could sell them at $99.

8. alent1234

alent1234 Diamond Member

Apple has more efficient manufacturing. iPhone 4s, iPad 2 and iPod touch all use the same CPU and gpu along with some other parts? Other phone manufacturers seem to make every phone a separate project with different hardware

9. Patranus

Patranus Diamond Member

Gotta respect the supply chain management - it has made the company the most valuable on the planet.

10. MrX8503

MrX8503 Diamond Member

They're chiseling money out of carriers, not you. Granted carriers could past that cost onto you, but let's face it, carriers suck and they raise prices anyway.

11. WelshBloke

WelshBloke Lifer

What if I don't buy my phone from the carrier?

12. Phynaz

Phynaz Diamond Member

Just to be nice to you?

13. WelshBloke

WelshBloke Lifer

Is it supposed to make me use them more or less?

You did read the thread?

14. MrX8503

MrX8503 Diamond Member

Is there another outlet that you can buy an iPhone on contract that isn't free/$99/$200?

If you bought it off contract, its gonna cost more than other Android devices, but that has nothing to do with Apple charging more. Its because iPhones have a higher resale value. If you resold your iPhone you'd get your resale value too. Apple has never charged the customer directly more than its competitors on their iPhones, except gen 1. The extra revenue they're making is off of carriers.

What about all those $300 top end Android phones?

15. WelshBloke

WelshBloke Lifer

What? How does that make sense? If Apple sold them for less the resale value would scale with the retail price.

16. Pliablemoose

Pliablemoose Lifer

You know most phones sold in the US are highly subsidized, right?

There's an instant ~$350 premium added to the value of what you pay for a subsidized phone, plus iPhones are popular and hold their resale value very well.

ie: Buy a $199 iPhone from a major carrier (subsidized) and it's worth near $600 instantly if you resell it.

17. WelshBloke

WelshBloke Lifer

A) I don't live in the US
    B) if apple sold them for less the resale value would be less.
    C) how is buying one on contract and selling it using one?

18. Pliablemoose

Pliablemoose Lifer

I was trying to explain how used phones off contract are valued in the US, I know you don't live here.

Yes, the same holds for all products, I guess I don't understand your point?

It's not.

Not trying to argue, walked into the middle of the movie I guess...

I'm no fan of the industry's pricing practices, I think they're obscene ...

#43 Pliablemoose, Feb 4, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2012
  19. Phynaz

Phynaz Diamond Member

So they have an item that they can't make enough of, and you want them to lower the price for you.

I'm glad you're not running a business.

20. MrX8503

MrX8503 Diamond Member

Whether you're in the US or not, Apple charges the carrier more than other smartphone manufacturers. Here in the US, it's free/$99/$200 and the extra premiums of an iPhone is charged to the carrier. I don't know what the pricing is in your country, but are you suggesting that in your country Apple charges the customer more for iPhones compared to Android devices?

21. JeffreyLebowski

So you're saying Apple is the Walmart of mobile devices?

22. TheStu

TheStu Moderator<br>Mobile Devices & Gadgets

I don't know what that means. Apple offers a premium, luxury product for a not so premium price. Walmart offs not so premium products at not so premium prices. They do both use their money and position to gain advantages in supply, but past that...

23. Patranus

Patranus Diamond Member

How about industry wide vs. apple?

[​IMG]

The industry outside of Apple has been fairly stagnant for the past 1/2 decade.

24. mammador

mammador Platinum Member

Apple's higher relative profit could be based on a number of factors:

- More efficient costs (in production, or elsewhere in the company)
    - Higher per unit price leading to higher revenue (coupled with lower costs)

Apple wouldn't release phones for different market segments, since they don't need to. It's all about branding, and the iPhone being it. The only lower-budget phones released by them will be older/legacy phones. If an iPhone 5 is released this year, then the iPhone 4 will be basement bargain status (like the iPhone 3GS was a year ago or so).

25. smartpatrol

smartpatrol Senior member