Mobile Haswell achieves all day battery life - beginning of the end for ARM?

Page 10 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

gevorg

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 2004
ARM's 2014 processors will blow today's smartphone chips away, with 3x the performance or 1/4 the battery drain

clipboard05uo.jpg

Gideon

Golden Member
Nov 27, 2007
Anyway, there is essentially no GPU performance data available yet on Temash

Not quite true. Minimal, but there is some:

http://blogs.amd.com/home/2013/02/25/what-your-tablet-doesnt-want-you-to-know/

Test conducted in AMD Performance Labs using FutureMark 3DMark Vantage P as a metric for GPU performance and PC Mark Vantage as a metric for CPU performance. The AMD Z-60 APU-based system scored 455 and 1914 in 3DMark and PCMark respectively. The AMD A6-1450 APU-based system delivers scores of 981 and 3123 in 3DMark and PCMark respectively

Gideon

Golden Member
Nov 27, 2007
Yes, but as far as I know there is no comparable performance data between Temash and any high end ARM-based SoC, so there is no basis for comparison yet.

Thats true, but IMO they are quite hard to compare in the first place. AMD is only focusing on full Windows 8 tablets, with the main selling point of Temash being DirectX 11.1 support and compatiblity with most PC games. Meanwhile, ARM GPUs are at best running Windows RT and on DirectX 10 feature level.

The only competition on that front would be Clover Trail+, if Intel would fix their drivers, and perhaps Haswell based low-TDP Pentiums (if the price is right).

I agree though, that running PC games on tablets seems a lot less useful than AMD's marketing claims. In tablet mode one would be heavily constrainted by touch screen controls. Perhaps you could play less demanding Adventure and Strategy games, that only require mouse, but that's it. In docked mode, with mouse, one could just as well use a laptop instead, getting a lot more performance in the process. The Turbo Dock feature helps, but I still think it's more useful for snappier content creation (e.g. Word), than even any half-serious gaming.

Nevertheless, it seems to be their main marketing point and that makes comparison difficult (which again is probably the reason for said marketing).

Last edited:

Exophase

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2012
CT+ isn't going to get DX11 support regardless of drivers. Not a lot of mobile GPU IP vendors want to spend the die area for this performance range (and I think most of them save nVidia have kind of lesser experience with DX to begin with)