Kreon

Golden Member
Oct 22, 2006
how are they different

All I want to do is use it as is, no overclocking and such

stevty2889

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2003
Mobile CPU's tend to run at lower clock speeds, and have more power savings features. However..you aren't being very specific at all about how you want to use it, for example you can't expect to slap a mobile cpu in a desktop and have it work. There are some situations where you can use a mobile chip in a desktop, but you would have to give a LOT more info on what you are planning to do...

TheStu

Moderator<br>Mobile Devices & Gadgets
Sep 15, 2004
The differences used to be:
Same Clock Speed at lower voltage (and therefore wattage) than their desktop counterparts
Usually did not include any IHS (Integrated Heat Spreaders)
Usually were OEM (did not include as long of a warranty, or heat sinks)

Now:
Mobile Chips (at least from Intel) are built with different FSBs as their desktop counterparts... and often times, a different Pin-Out as well. I could ahve this wrong, but i am fairly certain that the P4 and P4-M and M-P4 (all different chips) all used different sockets, or at least different pinouts.

And that is the best that i got.

Oh yea, different chipsets usually too

Kreon

Golden Member
Oct 22, 2006
I'm looking at bundle deals with a mobile chip instead of a non mobile

I plan on using it to put into a computer that teh mobo and CPU are shot, and basically use it to surf the web, and light gaming

EarthwormJim

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 2003
Depends on the mobile chip. Some have the differences mentioned above.

Others may be identical processors as their desktop counter-parts. Just hand picked from the center of the silicon wafers.