News Mnuchin Rejects Subpoena -- Will he face consequences?

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
If Congress has not figured this out yet the Trump administration is taking their adherence to governing norms as a sign of weakness.

Yes it is destructive to the country to start fining and jailing executive branch officials for not turning over documents. No, we aren’t left with another choice.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Now we'll see if the Dems are for real or if they will fold. Mnuchin should be arrested by Congress and held in some closet until he produces or his 12 months are up.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
Mnuchin said the House Ways and Means Committee’s request “lacks a legitimate legislative purpose".

Mnuchin and congressional Republicans have cited concerns over taxpayer privacy in denying the request, accusing Democrats of seeking to “weaponize” the IRS.

“The Committee’s request is unprecedented, and it presents serious constitutional questions, the resolution of which may have lasting consequences for all taxpayers,” Mnuchin said in a letter to Neal earlier this month.
Those seem like valid concerns. Clearly congress wants to get their hands on the 1099 Vlad sent to Trump last year, but it may take the Supreme Court to make that happen.

Reactions: pcgeek11

ecogen

Golden Member
Dec 24, 2016
Mnuchin said the House Ways and Means Committee’s request “lacks a legitimate legislative purpose".

Mnuchin and congressional Republicans have cited concerns over taxpayer privacy in denying the request, accusing Democrats of seeking to “weaponize” the IRS.

“The Committee’s request is unprecedented, and it presents serious constitutional questions, the resolution of which may have lasting consequences for all taxpayers,” Mnuchin said in a letter to Neal earlier this month.
Those seem like valid concerns. Clearly congress wants to get their hands on the 1099 Vlad sent to Trump last year, but it may take the Supreme Court to make that happen.

Do we have to link the law to you again you bellend? Their reasoning is irrelevant, and even if it wasn't, they're trying to get the taxes of a guy that has repeatedly and publicly bragged of tax evasion. Seriously, how fucking stupid are you?

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

They are laughably illegitimate concerns.

Congress not only has a duty to oversee the executive branch for possible corruption, the entire purpose of the law they are requesting Trump’s taxes under, there would be hundreds or thousands of legitimate legislative purposes related to whether or not the president is complying with tax laws or is being bribed by people.

This isn’t just a bad act by the executive, you should support impeaching Trump on this alone. That is unless you think Congress should no longer conduct oversight on the executive branch.

This argument will be laughed out of court but as a conservative you should be enraged that the president even tried to make it. Join us in calling for impeachment?

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
It is frankly unbelievable to me that conservatives think Congress should not have the power to request tax returns to see if someone is bribing the president.

Like seriously, what happened to you people? Your party is diseased and it’s taking you down with it. Wake up! Someday you will look back on this time and be ashamed of yourselves.

Dec 10, 2005

Didn't know that the executive branch gets to decide what is and isn't a legitimate legislative task during investigations by another branch of government.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Didn't know that the executive branch gets to decide what is and isn't a legitimate legislative task during investigations by another branch of government.

Please note that this also apparently applies into Congress attempting to investigate criminal activity by the president.

I’m not kidding - they say congress investigating whether or not the president committed felonies has no legitimate legislative purpose.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Barr taunted Pelosi about being arrested. I like that she had a zippy cold reply with a smile, but please please please let this be the start of something beautiful.

By that I mean seeing Mnuchin and Barr both have their smarmy treasonous asses marched into jail. Congress has the law on it's side, it needs to act, if only to prove Dems have more fidelity to their jobs than Team Treason.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000

Oversight is considered to be part of legitimate legislative purpose and the 1924 law gives Mnuchin no legal option but he's decided that he's the law in this matter. As far as lasting Constitutional consequences Mnuchin, Trump and others have already decided that it cannot stand in their way. That law was explicitly created to deal with Executive issues and is legitimately enacted. Mnuchin can have the DOJ fight this all they want while Congress exercises another power it has, arrest for contempt and held with no Executive option on this at all but hope the SCOTUS reverses what it has already permitted in the past.

Nov 25, 2013

Your slip is showing.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
By the ‘no legitimate legislative purpose’ standard Congress should have been prohibited from investigating Watergate.

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000
It is frankly unbelievable to me that conservatives think Congress should not have the power to request tax returns to see if someone is bribing the president.

Like seriously, what happened to you people? Your party is diseased and it’s taking you down with it. Wake up! Someday you will look back on this time and be ashamed of yourselves.

I wonder what they'll say once the Flynn tapes are public? Maybe Trump will have someone block those from getting to the judge as well.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999

It is frankly unbelievable to me that anyone would think that Trump has bribes listed on his tax returns.
What you actually want is a public audit, with a complete paper trail. I don't see that happening as the public has no right to the information, and most wouldn't understand it. I've read at least two articles where the author want's to see Trumps tax returns so they could find out his net worth. There is no where on a 1040 where that information is listed.
When those returns are made public, and they will be made public one way or another, they will generate far more questions than answers.

DrDoug

Diamond Member
Jan 16, 2014
Now we'll see if the Dems are for real or if they will fold. Mnuchin should be arrested by Congress and held in some closet until he produces or his 12 months are up.

In my opinion if the Democrats don't do anything then they should go home and give the fuck up. I wrote Rep. DeFazio and even stated so, minus the f-bomb. After being subjected to BENGHAZI hearing after BENGHAZI hearing, all over absolutely nothing, if the Democrats let this shit pass and hope to use it to win in 2020 then they deserve to have their asses handed to them. My old conservative tax cheating boss liked to say that possession is 9/10ths of the law. IOW, if you want it then prove he has it and come and get it from him. He went to his grave a wildly successful tax cheat.

I see this is now the conservative way of doing things in Washington... Democrats better act accordingly or they are going to lose their asses in 2020.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
It is frankly unbelievable to me that anyone would think that Trump has bribes listed on his tax returns.
What you actually want is a public audit, with a complete paper trail. I don't see that happening as the public has no right to the information, and most wouldn't understand it. I've read at least two articles where the author want's to see Trumps tax returns so they could find out his net worth. There is no where on a 1040 where that information is listed.
When those returns are made public, and they will be made public one way or another, they will generate far more questions than answers.

How would we possibly know that Trump was not being bribed without Congress seeing his tax returns at the absolute minimum.

Seriously, tell me.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

Also it is frankly insane that you would argue that we are not entitled to any and all necessary information that is needed to know if the president is being bribed.

Take a step back and think about how bananas your argument is.

Jul 9, 2009
Treasury Secretary Mnuchin will probably suffer the same punishment for the contempt of Congress that Obuttholes "Wingman" Holder suffered..........................nothing, nada, zip, zero, zilch not a damn thing.

Too bad for you ass clowns that Holder proved it just doesn't matter at all, isn't it?

dawp

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
Please note that this also apparently applies into Congress attempting to investigate criminal activity by the president.

I’m not kidding - they say congress investigating whether or not the president committed felonies has no legitimate legislative purpose.
technically they right, there is no legislative purpose, BUT that is not the reason for the subpoena, at all, and the argument that congress has no investigative authority will fall flat in court.