MMO's Warcraft vs ???

MonKENy

Platinum Member
Nov 1, 2007
Soooo why no WoW thread in here? And do you guys play MMO's do you have any recommendations beside WoW. I was thinking Guildwars because its free monthly. but what are some of your fav mmo's and why?

techgamer

Sep 19, 2007
There is a blank open text box over on the left hand link column. It says "search" =/

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Guild Wars doesn't exactly qualify as an MMO.

I like FFXI more than any other... compared to it IMO WoW is trash and everyone I know who has played FFXi then went to WoW comes back and says WoW sucks compared to it.

but you really gotta play them and find what you like.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
I'd almost say there are too many WoW threads. :D

KT

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
Originally posted by: KeithTalent
I'd almost say there are too many WoW threads. :D

KT

Aye, there do seem to be at least a few posted every day. Typically, the person asks for an MMO thats as 'good' as WoW, that they are thinking of trying WoW, or that they are trying to quit WoW and want another MMO style game to get their fix in.

Even though most people who spend time in PC Gaming know my opinion on WoW, I'll say it again. Its a lousy game thats sells well because it caters to the lowest common denominator among the populace.

MonKENy

Platinum Member
Nov 1, 2007
Originally posted by: Bateluer

Even though most people who spend time in PC Gaming know my opinion on WoW, I'll say it again. Its a lousy game thats sells well because it caters to the lowest common denominator among the populace.

how so?

The way I categorize mmos is a giant interactive chat thats gives you stuff to do while your waiting for friends. Thats the feel I always got out of it. but its also why I liked it. its like Fuck trillian lets get on WoW and kill stuff while we bs about gen topics of conversation.

Originally posted by: cmdrdredd

what does it qualify as then?

Drift3r

Jun 3, 2003
Originally posted by: MonKENy
Soooo why no WoW thread in here? And do you guys play MMO's do you have any recommendations beside WoW. I was thinking Guildwars because its free monthly. but what are some of your fav mmo's and why?

What are you looking for in a mmo. Hard to recommend something else if you don't state what you are looking for.

jjj807

Jun 20, 2004
guild wars feels like a single player game at times. The economy and trade system is deeply flawed and is nothing like WoW where there a global network of people who chat like you say and hang around. Guild Wars is different because everytime you go to quest, you enter an instance like in WoW, where only the people in your party follow to, unlike WoW where it was 1 giant world where everyone can quest in.

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
Originally posted by: MonKENy

Originally posted by: cmdrdredd

what does it qualify as then?

The GW world is simply many instances connector together through a central location. The game is more like Diablo than an MMO in the fact that only your friends can come with you when you leave the 'town' and enter the instance. Some enjoy this type of gameplay. I'm not sure how you'd classify it, likely simply a multiplayer action game. I know the GW developers have stated numerous times that GW is not an MMO.

jjj807

Jun 20, 2004
Originally posted by: lupi
What else is there to say about a 3 year old game.

3 years is not bad at all though. MMOs and online rpgs are supposed to be timeless in a way, diablo, WoW, Everquest. These virtual worlds hang around for a long time. Guild Wars isn't lacking in MMO quality because it is 3 years old, it just never had the build of an MMO in the first place.

MonKENy

Platinum Member
Nov 1, 2007
GW sounds like a PSO type of game.

honestly lmao I just wanted to start a thread of WoW and didnt know how. Im going to be starting up again soon, im just waiting for my friend to get back from vacation and im gonna start playing w/him. hes never played before and i stopped playing about a year ago due to lack of time to play didnt = $ spent. so i wanted to see who was a fan and who wasnt. plus with such an elite pc crowd here I also wanted to get the gen feel of what gamers thought overall. Like if Hard core gamers like the game or if it was a pretty select group.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
WoW is the best MMO out right now. I've tried just about all of them over the years and none comes close.

I don't play it any more though and its not without its problems, hence why I am not playing any more.

played fro 7 months from release on PVE, got to 60, hated the raiding & grinding and quit for a good while. Played again about a year ago for about 2-3 months doing PVP and got bored. Quit again until about 2 weeks ago and played for a few days on PVE and then canceled again. Couldn't find a guild that wasn't all about raiding. This time I'm done for good.

Burpy

Oct 16, 2005
My brother plays WoW non-stop! I did try the 10 day WoW pass and it just didn't suit me.

Anyone play LOTR Online? I received it as a gift but haven't opened it yet, no real interest really.
I'm going to sell it before I get sucked into the MMO void. :p

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
Originally posted by: BubblyGump
My brother plays WoW non-stop! I did try the 10 day WoW pass and it just didn't suit me.

Anyone play LOTR Online? I received it as a gift but haven't opened it yet, no real interest really.
I'm going to sell it before I get sucked into the MMO void. :p

its really really slow and way to easy

hooflung

Golden Member
Dec 31, 2004
WoW is ok. The immersion if you keep the chats closed is pretty good. Its really great if you have a lot of friends that play and for the new age guilders who use their old school DM mentality to run large raiding guilds. It has a lot of appeal as a family mmo as well since the backdrop is pretty tame compared to D&D and EQ. I love the music. However, my sub is inactive and has been for months. I refuse to buy the expansion if they don't give me a free month ( maybe that has changed? ).

However, there are better MMO's out there. I think EVE is the best MMO since it has penalties and consequence for actions players choose. The new graphics client also simple blows every other MMO away graphics wise and it comes out this month. They have a DX10 only client coming out next year and walking in stations as well. I also liked the older Star Wars Galaxies builds better than WoW, especially the first two combat systems where crafters were much more appreciated and usually not alts.

City of Heroes / Villians had the potential to be better than WoW. In some ways it still is but they are epic failures at end game content. There is no reason for me to play any of my lvl 50s and even the new content they added nearly 2 years later is pretty dull once you've been there, done that. WoW end game content > CoH/CoX end game content.

Guild Wars and HellGate are to me Battlenet clones for their online system. There isn't much difference between a chat channel with avatars and the lobby system except there are vendors and you can open trade windows. Other than that, the actual GAME might as well be played offline if you solo or over a lan if you party. I've had GW for a long time and I quit. The expansions were uninspiring. HellGate is cool. Its no WoW in sheer size but the instances are as fun as WoW's so far.

Nothing beats EVE though for me.

MonKENy

Platinum Member
Nov 1, 2007
Yeah, I think that if you play with friends WoW is a great game for that aspect. I had the game for 6 months last time I played and barely made it to lvl 41. For me I dont play WoW to raid, or grind, I barely even play to lvl. I just like interacting with other ppl and helping them do what they do. The guild I had created was a helper guild. we went around and help ppl quest, gave out advice, ect ect. the only thing I refuse to do is help anyone under lvl 10 with anything except to tell them where something is and i NEVER EVER give out cash (except within the guild or to ppl ive played w/a long time) If you need $ that bad go kill shit and loot loot loot you get enough crap super fast to sell to make the 5,10,20 silver you are begging for, and you dont look like a douche for it.

Originally posted by: pontifex
WoW is the best MMO out right now. I've tried just about all of them over the years and none comes close.

I don't play it any more though and its not without its problems, hence why I am not playing any more.

played fro 7 months from release on PVE, got to 60, hated the raiding & grinding and quit for a good while. Played again about a year ago for about 2-3 months doing PVP and got bored. Quit again until about 2 weeks ago and played for a few days on PVE and then canceled again. Couldn't find a guild that wasn't all about raiding. This time I'm done for good.

well if you DO decide to get back in let me know I can introduce you to a big guild that prides themselves on helping lower lvl ppl. thats what they mainly do. Or if im playing My guild will be back up and thats what I play for, to help other ppl.

Ill post my WoW info when I start back up. in the meantime what does everyone use for add-ons, what little secrets have you guys found. Just relay WoW info in gen here and lets see what happens w/the thread.

I have a character On skywall (well a few actually) MonKENy is my 41 human rogue, MenionLEah is my 12 dwarf paladin, and my newest cause i used the 10day BC trial is a Dranie ?sp? Shaman.

MonKENy

Platinum Member
Nov 1, 2007
Originally posted by: Bateluer

why do you think its a lousy game? what makes it so and why? Im not trying to bash your opinion im just curious as to what you think. especially since you seem to be the minority in most places. Not that you are wrong.