deamer44

May 25, 2008
Hey, ive stopped playing wow and now im looking for a new MMORPG to play, dont care about the monthly cost needs to be open and have a reasobably mature community

Thanks

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
EVE is the only place I know of that has a mature community.

Also, welcome to Anandtech.

Please stay the hell out of Off Topic.
They'll eat you alive.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: shortylickens

They'll eat you alive.

and even then its only maybe .000000007% more mature.

deamer44

May 25, 2008
well scratch the more mature bit, i want one thats based around teams, because i enjoy interacting with the people. Afterall whats the point of a MMORPG ifu wanna play on ur own, play offline on a rpg.

Has anyone got any suggestions for a team based MMORPG i could play with my friends.

j0j081

Banned
Aug 26, 2007
I would say AOC has a very mature community so far at least on the PvE servers Maybe because a lot of younger players don't have pcs strong enough to run it so it is a lot of techies playing it right now. People are very friendly in the community channel discussing all aspects of the game.

Oct 25, 2006
Originally posted by: pontifex
Originally posted by: shortylickens

They'll eat you alive.

and even then its only maybe .000000007% more mature.

Nah. At Battleship, heavy assault, and Recon level, there are almost no noobs or annoying players

Oct 25, 2006
Originally posted by: deamer44
yeh but which mmorpg is heavily team based?

Again, Eve is dependent on Corps and Alliances. Sadly though, this has removed much of single player PVP, mostly because if you ever try to do something solo, a 7 man gang will come out and rip you apart in seconds.

But, still, Eve iss o heavily team based, its the reason why there are no noobs. Noobs can't join a decent corp, and they quit cause they can't do anything if they remain stupid.

deamer44

May 25, 2008
Hmm tryed eve, but with crappy computer- couldent seem to get my head around it lol! apparently its a very steep learning curve.

Has anyone got any views on everquest 2, or dungeons and dragons online?

Auryg

Platinum Member
Dec 28, 2003
EQ2 is basically a slightly more in-depth WoW. I personally like it better as well, but if you're burnt out on WoW it won't be much of a difference.

Dumac

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
Originally posted by: Auryg
EQ2 is basically a slightly more in-depth WoW.

Also, Guild Wars is very team (both PVP and PVE) oriented, although it's not really an MMORPG.

Auryg

Platinum Member
Dec 28, 2003
Originally posted by: Jumpem
Age of Conan.

I'd be wary of this. There's something I like to call NMMORPGS: New MMORPG Syndrome.

Basically, people who just started playing a new MMO don't see the flaws in it because they aren't far in to the game yet. Give it at least a few more days if you're thinking of going this route.

Jumpem

Lifer
Sep 21, 2000
I'd be wary of this. There's something I like to call NMMORPGS: New MMORPG Syndrome.

Basically, people who just started playing a new MMO don't see the flaws in it because they aren't far in to the game yet. Give it at least a few more days if you're thinking of going this route.

Sure it has flaws, and isn't as polished as WoW... but WoW is starting to look terribly dated and there is nothing to see there anymore.

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
Hey, ive stopped playing wow and now im looking for a new MMORPG to play, dont care about the monthly cost needs to be open and have a reasobably mature community

Thanks

I had hopes for you when I first read you stopped playing wow.
Now you are looking for another MMORPG to play ?
Stop beating yourself up, you deserve better :)

brandonb

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 2006
Has anyone got any views on everquest 2, or dungeons and dragons online?

Everquest 2 is old just like WoW is. That means, you might be stuck soloing until higher levels. THat doesn't mean lower lvl players don't want to group, they do, but they are harder to find as those areas aren't very populated. However, EQ2 has this thing called the mentoring system. It allows high lvl people to play with lower lvl people and still get quest rewards and experience (all it does is scale down their damage/ac, etc, so a lvl 60 that would normally nuke for 1000 will be doing 500 damage at lvl 30, but the high lvls still have the same spell set they use when mentoring, etc.)

Alot of the time, high lvls get bored or would like to check out a low lvl place they never been before and will likely group with you. EQ2 seems more group based than lets say WoW, but it doesn't really take hold until lvl 50+... In comparison, nobody in WoW will likely group with you unless you are doing a dungeon, and you wont ever find a high lvl that will run you through a dungeon unless you pay them.

In addition, if you join a guild, alot of guilds want to lvl up. This is done by doing certain quests (status quests), and alot of them are pretty difficult and require a dungeon run. Leveling the guild allows the guild to get more bank slots, better horses, etc. The high lvls are likely to mentor you and run you through a dungeon because you'll complete the quest and give status to the guild. Which helps everybody in the guild.

Everquest2 is a decent game, try the free trial.

Continuity28

Golden Member
Jul 2, 2005

FFXI. You can't do much alone. Because of it's age, the player base is mostly mature, but they are elitists.

deamer44

May 25, 2008
Ive played FFXI, and i didnt really like the game, the combat system was really slow and the graphics where terrible. Im really interested in Age of Conan so i might buy that, as its one of the new ones i havent played yet.
I will also be downloading the EQ2 game thanks for the info brandonb.

Ausm

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: j0j081
I would say AOC has a very mature community so far at least on the PvE servers Maybe because a lot of younger players don't have pcs strong enough to run it so it is a lot of techies playing it right now. People are very friendly in the community channel discussing all aspects of the game.

Yeah I like that aspect of AOC too it weeds out all the little punks that play WOW and wreck that game.

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002

Sure it has flaws, and isn't as polished as WoW... but WoW is starting to look terribly dated and there is nothing to see there anymore.

The OP really didn't express a great deal of concern over the graphics though. It sounds like he just wants to involve himself with an MMO where working as a team is much more emphasized. AoC might provide that satisfaction, but I am with Auryg here. It's best to wait on that one being that it is so new. Give it time to mature then look into it again because it would be a great deal of time and money wasted only to find out that the game is not shaping up to what one would hope for and expect come 6 months from now. It would not be the first time that the gaming community has seen this sort of thing happen.

Miklebud

Platinum Member
Nov 20, 2002
I'm not much of an MMORPG'er (I disliked WoW...) But I'm enjoying AoC quite a bit! That gets my vote of recommendation!

MrPickins

Diamond Member
May 24, 2003
Originally posted by: Continuity28

FFXI. You can't do much alone. Because of it's age, the player base is mostly mature, but they are elitists.

QFT

deamer44

May 25, 2008
Thanks for all your help guys, much appreciated. Ill probs pick up AOC within the next week, got no school until june 9th and then summer holidays (woohoo!)

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006

WoW isn't even looking a little dated to me, and I've played it since its first year, and EQ since its first year before that, and I find new fun in WoW every day (playing hours/day).

Sure, there's plenty that's repetitive, but I think your approach to playing it has a lot to do with whether you enjoy it for a longer time. Raiding got old for me, a chore.