MMORPG where sex is rewarded

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I wish they would release an MMO that was an Adults Only title .... not that I want to see a bunch of smut in a game, but because I would like to see a game where the maturity level of the audience was a bit higher ...

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Originally posted by: BurnItDwn
I wish they would release an MMO that was an Adults Only title .... not that I want to see a bunch of smut in a game, but because I would like to see a game where the maturity level of the audience was a bit higher ...

Age of Conan is also the first MMO ever to feature a mature rating, which gives us the freedom to create truly brutal battles, and thus staying true to the Conan lore.

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005

Its got a Mature Rating. I think thats the highest isnt it? No one under 17 allowed to buy/play. Basically it means you gotta be an adult.

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
I just don't think going on a raid will ever be the same again.

"Everybody got some ?"
long line forms in front of npc for sex before the raid.

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
Originally posted by: Skott

Its got a Mature Rating. I think thats the highest isnt it? No one under 17 allowed to buy/play. Basically it means you gotta be an adult.

Adults Only, or AO, is the highest rating. One above Mature. M rated means not recommended for people under 17. AO means no one under 18. A fairly lame distinction, in my opinion, but thats the way the ball bounces.

I also don't think an AO MMO would be very successful, as an AO title isn't permitted to be carried in stores like Target, Walmart, Best Buy, etc. It would have to be sold entirely online, limiting its sales. Even if only adults played it, you'd still be looking at small, niche MMO at best. Most likely, the game would be flooded with younger teenage kids who attained access to the game from a variety of sources.

I would try out an M or AO rated MMO, however, a primary focus of PvP ensures the game will have a low maturity crowd, even if the majority of players are 17+ or 18+. PvP always attracts the dregs and the idiots in every MMO.

ielmox

Jul 4, 2007
As a long time fan of Howard's original Conan short stories (not the incredibly bad novels written by others that followed) I totally applaud Funcom for their decision to include slavery, brutality, and sex in Age of Conan. The intellectual property they're dealing with (and remember Conan predates almost all other fantasy) absolutely requires these "mature" elements, and it's good to see Funcom is sticking as close to the source as possible instead of cranking out another children-oriented WoW clone full of totally unnecessary pretty particle effects.

I'll definitely be buying this title in order to support Funcom's philosophy and dedication to the source material - though I also suspect this is going to be a good game. I can only hope that Funcom is as innovative in managing the behaviour of (idiot) customers as they have been in developing this game.

ielmox

Jul 4, 2007
Originally posted by: ielmox
As a long time fan of Howard's original Conan short stories (not the incredibly bad novels written by others that followed)

not to suggest that the follow-up novels were all bad, but the majority of them definitely qualify.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: ielmox
As a long time fan of Howard's original Conan short stories (not the incredibly bad novels written by others that followed) I totally applaud Funcom for their decision to include slavery, brutality, and sex in Age of Conan. The intellectual property they're dealing with (and remember Conan predates almost all other fantasy) absolutely requires these "mature" elements, and it's good to see Funcom is sticking as close to the source as possible instead of cranking out another children-oriented WoW clone full of totally unnecessary pretty particle effects.

I'll definitely be buying this title in order to support Funcom's philosophy and dedication to the source material - though I also suspect this is going to be a good game. I can only hope that Funcom is as innovative in managing the behaviour of (idiot) customers as they have been in developing this game.

I'm also a big fan of REH and looking forward to this game. Unless its changed, it isn't 100% dedicated to the source material, especially in areas like classes and game mechanics, but I guess you have take some liberties, especially if you're going to make an MMO.

Balt

Lifer
Mar 12, 2000
Originally posted by: Skott

In theory, yes, no children will be able to buy it. However, I guarantee there will still be plenty of kiddies playing it. So you'll still have plenty of idiots in the game.

Truth be told, though, there are plenty of idiots who are above the age of 17 who are just as bad (if not worse) than the kids.

For the record I would never want nor expect Funcom to censor their game just because some parents can't do their job. :p

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
The M rating does nothing.
The M rating on grand theft auto didn't stop anyone with the cash from buying it, regardless of age.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Originally posted by: Modelworks
The M rating does nothing.
The M rating on grand theft auto didn't stop anyone with the cash from buying it, regardless of age.

Exactly. Also, isn't Bioshock rated M?

KT