[MMO] World of Tanks

Page 289 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Creig

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Yesterday I realized I only had 20k left to grind on my M4 1945 tank so I worked on that. Its been a while since I played in it. I actually had a good day and evening of grinding for a change. Not sure if the 8.0 patch made the M4 1945 better or was just me having a good day or luck. I got the AMX50 100 researched but havent bought it yet. Not sure if its worth buying. Besides that I really really hate the French tanks. Bad tanks to play so far from my experiences. The grind was just horrible before. Left a bad feeling for them in my mind.
You're over the hump. The AMX50 100 on up feels like an entirely different line of tanks compared to everything leading up to it.

Possessed Freak

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 1999
I got my object 268 over the weekend.

A 268 two shotted my JPE100 in a duel yesterday. Amazingly frustrating. I hit him for 1100, he hits me AFTER I hit him. He reloaded and aimed at me (I was of course maneuvering away and into cover) and finished me off before I reloaded.

He said it was my fault for hunting him... as if I had a choice, I turn a corner and there he was.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Well had a game lastnight that had me laughing and crying within 10 seconds on my E50. Westfield I go into the city from the valley side. Start fighting a platoon of Pattons. I dont think they saw me at first. One of them was pretty beat up and starts running down the hill into the valley. His buddy I am literally chasing him like a cop. I end up rear ending him and sliding him breaking his track and turning his turret completely 180 from me. I keep trucking forward and kill his buddy who stopped by ramming him. Then i turn and kill him. Really funny looking. Then 3 seconds later while I am laughing the hunter becomes the hunted. A JPZ 100 one shots me. He knocked off about 1600 damage wtf and I die. tears flowed from my eyes.

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
Well had a game lastnight that had me laughing and crying within 10 seconds on my E50. Westfield I go into the city from the valley side. Start fighting a platoon of Pattons. I dont think they saw me at first. One of them was pretty beat up and starts running down the hill into the valley. His buddy I am literally chasing him like a cop. I end up rear ending him and sliding him breaking his track and turning his turret completely 180 from me. I keep trucking forward and kill his buddy who stopped by ramming him. Then i turn and kill him. Really funny looking. Then 3 seconds later while I am laughing the hunter becomes the hunted. A JPZ 100 one shots me. He knocked off about 1600 damage wtf and I die. tears flowed from my eyes.

Yeah, them JPZ100 tanks can do some really nasty damage if you get in their LoS. I have seen them 1 shot some pretty big tanks.

LurkerPrime

Aug 11, 2010
A 268 two shotted my JPE100 in a duel yesterday. Amazingly frustrating. I hit him for 1100, he hits me AFTER I hit him. He reloaded and aimed at me (I was of course maneuvering away and into cover) and finished me off before I reloaded.

He either got some seriously lucky damage rolls, or you didn't go into the engagement at full life. Either way, of course he reloads faster than you, his gun doesn't do as much damage as the JpzE100. The 268 reloads slightly faster than the 704, which will put it around 14 seconds and change (might even make it around 13 with BiA). The JpzE100 reload is what 19 or so seconds?

Genx87, the JpzE100 can't do 1600 damage in a single shot unless of course he ammo racked you. Well he could have penned with HE, but I'm not sure if thats capable of 1600 damage or not. Although even if a shot from that tank doesn't kill you, no matter what tank your driving, your pretty much fucked afterwards.

The good news is the JpzE100 is still a horrible tank. It pretty much has negative camo values, and arty makes short work of one. Its also pretty damn slow. Also from what I hear the gun is inaccurate and still bounces alot more that it should.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
I didnt check to see if he ammo racked me. In true form I rage quit before the end of the match. :D

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
The lag is just killing me tonight. My Type 59 was shooting the ground over and over with the reticle fulling closed. One match I hit 8 of 20 shots lol.

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
Well, 14 battles into my new AMX50 100 and win rate is 29% so far. LOL Most of the battles I was top tank and everyone expected me to be this baddass tanker. Hell of a way to start out learning an entirely new type of tank. LOL

Caecus Veritas

Mar 20, 2006
The lag is just killing me tonight. My Type 59 was shooting the ground over and over with the reticle fulling closed. One match I hit 8 of 20 shots lol.

yeah i had something similar yesterday too. in one game, i had over 15 zero damage penetrating shots on tanks i should have destroyed ini 2-3 shots. MM and RNG is hating on me lately...

EDIT: Btw, if anyone here wants to platoon, hit me up. mailman411

Possessed Freak

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 1999
Well, 14 battles into my new AMX50 100 and win rate is 29% so far. LOL Most of the battles I was top tank and everyone expected me to be this baddass tanker. Hell of a way to start out learning an entirely new type of tank. LOL

French guns are accurate, and sport decent damage. Nobody should be expecting a 50/100 to lead a charge. You should be hiding back with the TD's and striking from distance.

The way I play the autoloaders are as finishers. Killing the heavily damaged tanks. Alternately, I try very hard for a tracking shot for my first one and then put 5 into their sides.

I also highly recommend playing as the flex tank. Rack up some miles and be EVERYWHERE. Where is the weak side, appear, weaken the enemy and vanish.

Finally I treat the autoloaders like I treat my derp. I am willing to get shot once to unload my large alpha shots (treat the clip as your one derp).

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
yeah i had something similar yesterday too. in one game, i had over 15 zero damage penetrating shots on tanks i should have destroyed ini 2-3 shots. MM and RNG is hating on me lately...

EDIT: Btw, if anyone here wants to platoon, hit me up. mailman411

The zero damage thing is killing me lately. I look at my detailed report and often times I will penetrate 10-12 times for 1400 damage or less. I had a game last night on my Type 59 that has 12 penetrations, 784 damage. Seriously wtf!

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
French guns are accurate

News to me! AMX 13-90 and the ARL tank destroyer can't hit a single thing from 200+ meters. The mid tier guns are all medium velocity guns that don't snipe well and loses a lot of penetration at a distance and have a HUGE aim time. Maybe the 50-100 and 50-120 guns are different...

Most good players use the AMX as a "shotgun" or assassins. You're the tank that can pick off a single lone tank with a full clip (don't miss!!!!) even if they're at full hp, and they can relocate anywhere you want on a whim. You can pick off 2-3 tanks that are low on hp very quickly, and then run away for the next 30 seconds while you reload.

A foch 155 can kill an E-100 with a single volley fro full HP, or so i've heard. Seeing the monster damage they deal I believe it. A batchat can kill any tier 8 vehicle (and some tier 9s) in a full clip as well.

Possessed Freak

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 1999
News to me! AMX 13-90 and the ARL tank destroyer can't hit a single thing from 200+ meters. The mid tier guns are all medium velocity guns that don't snipe well and loses a lot of penetration at a distance and have a HUGE aim time. Maybe the 50-100 and 50-120 guns are different...

I dunno, I snipe just fine in my BDR. Of course I snipe all the time with the 105 from the T29 which people say can not be done. The only gun I think really sucks at sniping is the russian 122's.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
I dunno, I snipe just fine in my BDR. Of course I snipe all the time with the 105 from the T29 which people say can not be done. The only gun I think really sucks at sniping is the russian 122's.

Opposite experience for me. I "snipe" with the 105 and have some success with it, but it's not great and I'd say beyond 400m it's a crapshoot. I snipe really well with the 122, maybe its because it's a heavy shell or whatever, not sure.

I have a lot of difficulty hitting anything beyond 400m with the ARL's 90mm, even though it should be still fairly accurate at that range. You can actually see the shell arc down at a range and I have to lead the targets a lot, specially mediums.

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
I'm not sure if its normal or not but most of my battles so far have me as top tank. When I hang back to snipe people seem to start bitching I'm not doing anything for the team since I'm a heavy with a good gun (100mm gun now) and a 6 shot clip. When I'm mixed in with bigger tanks its all fine but when mine is top of the list people think differently. They expect me to lead the charge for some reason. Its a decent tank but it's armor poor for a heavy.

Anyhow I'm currently running Vents, GLD, and Vert. Stab. With physics this thing sure bounces around a lot on the field causing the gun to jump a lot. Hate to see what it does without the Vert. Stab. I might switch to Vents, Camo, and Binocs, which is another common set up from what I have read and heard in game. My crew has no camo exp. though so I went with current set up first just to get a feel for this tank and how it handles running around on the battlefield. The 100mm gun is fairly accurate and does some serious damage when you put multiple shots into someone's backside. The reload time is long though. I need to learn to retreat farther back more when that happens. Not good to get caught with a empty cylinder too close to the front line.

Harabec

Golden Member
Oct 15, 2005
Ok...
1) I got the Chaffee.
2) I'm addicted.
3) That cute little thing is an insane xp machine.

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
Last night to do something different I bought the Churchill. Paid for new 100% crew too and added Vents, Gun Rammer, and GLD. The fast RoF the gun has with the rammer reminds me of the Russian T34's 57mm gun. Pew, pew, pew, pew, pew, pew... Damage is not huge per shot but over time it sure adds up and the tank carries 130 shells. The tank is very weak to arty though. Can't remember a tank so easily damaged by arty of any level when hit. It is MM friendly it seems. Often the #1 tank on the list. I notice how everyone goes for me once spotted however. The tank can take some hits too. KVs can be a problem dealing with but pretty much everything is easily handled as long as not over swarmed by the enemy. Makes really good credits for its level too. Looking forward to when the crew has BIA 100%. That should really help in some areas. I still need to refine my play with it and learn what it can and cannot do but it is a fun tank nevertheless.

Biggest gripes:
Very easily damaged by arty
Gun damage per shot is nothing to brag about
Slow moving tank

LurkerPrime

Aug 11, 2010
Finally got my 268 crew to 100%, and to a little over 50% camo. Things have gotten a lot better, as I've worked my win rate up for that td to around 57% now. Its got very good maneuverability, and the front armor can be very bouncy, especially at range.

I'm loving my TDs, and now I have to decided which TD line I go up next. I really want the 263, and I have the tier 7 unlocked, however the tier 7-9 TDs on the way to it, just look like pure misery to play. The E3/E4 in the American line seem like good tanks. I don't have any progress in those lines really, but at least I have some experienced american crews I can transfer. Then on the other hand, I've been owned quite a few times by the french TDs. They seem to have armor, speed, stealth and firepower. You guys have any suggestions on which TD line I should shoot for next?

Nintendesert

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2010
The French line is pretty scary. I hate the Tier X one, not many people have them as most don't want to grind a whole new line, but it's pretty devastating. You also can't go wrong with the E4, I like the mobility and options the turret gives you. The armor is decent and the gun is good. It's great in city maps and the ability to turn the turret to aim at targets on any map and not move the tank itself is a pretty good advantage.

I have a JgPigE-100 and 110E4, while I am enjoying the Pig right now the E4 is much less frustrating to play and I always feel more effective in it.

Harabec

Golden Member
Oct 15, 2005
I've been playing on the test server a bit. I was interested in the twin Centurions...

After a couple of games I can say - the T8 Cent makes my Pershing obsolete crap. The T9 Cent is about the same as the patton, the gun is a trade off - MOAR PEN for less ROF (oh, and hull armor! that is new on a med). I was also playing the Patton to see if I should buy it or not - I can't believe how much better it is than the Pershing.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
the centurion supposedly is more agile and fires better on the move, but the patton actually has some semblance of armor.

LurkerPrime

Aug 11, 2010
well supposively the 8.1 patch notes are out (I can't confirm since I'm at work).
The most concerning part is that they are now allowing the purchase of gold rounds with credits at a 1 gold = 400 credits conversion.

This is going to change the face of pubs, and it goes to make slow/heavy tanks even less usefull if people are just going to sling gold at you. Although people picking up gold rounds that have never used them, are going to be in for a rude awakening. They don't make you godly, and they certainly don't always pen. I do see my KV-2 becoming godly again. I'll also have to put more time on my T34 to pay for this. I'll also rebuy my VK3601, move one of my kick ass crews to it, and rape people with the conical gun when I feel like being an ass.