[MMO] World of Tanks

Page 36 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Creig

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
When I first got my IS-4, I absolutely hated it. It was slow and insufficiently armed. I had a horrible win/loss ratio with it in its stock form. Now that I have all the tech tree upgrades plus a couple of store items, I like it quite a bit. I still want to save up for the IS-7 simply for the increased speed and extra armor. But I won't sell off the IS-4 to get it. I'll save up the $$$$ instead.

As it is now, I can make pretty good money/EXP with it, especially if my side wins or I don't get destroyed. I can usually account for 1-4 kills per game. I'm not sure why everybody says the IS-4 is so completely overpowering. I still bounce AP shells, even with the 130mm. In fact, I even bounced one off an M6! I find myself having to switch to HE to reliably take on JagdTigers and other high armor tanks/TDs. But overall, I find that I like it now that it has been completely upgraded.

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
Got my VK3601 upgraded to the 88mm gun. Only thing left to upgrade is that last engine. The tank is definitely better than the PzIV it replaced. I sold that turkey off. I'm liking the VK3601 so far. It has some survivability and some bite.

ayabe

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
Unlocked the first 122mm on my SU152 yesterday, it's OK. Nothing groundbreaking since it's basically the same gun as I had on the SU100. I feel much less vulnerable now and can snipe more effectively. I'll have to spend more time with it to decide if I want to spend another 20K on the next 122 or just rush for the ISU. I do miss the reliable damage potential of the 152mm with HE on T8+ and seem to get ranked in higher matches with the 122. Could just be a coincidence though.

I'm ashamed to admit it, but I'm having a blast in my full upgraded Tiger. Went ahead and unlocked the last engine upgrade and she can move along pretty good up to the limiter.

slag

Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
I bought the IS yesterday. OK, I'm still about 200k short from actually BUYING it, but I did research it. I'll take a few days off around thursday/friday which should help replenish some gold.. I'm down to like 400 gold.

Dec 27, 2004
www.store.massiverc.com
Look at what you've reduced me to!!

b2d0a897.jpg

bd19a0fe.jpg

24bb5f5e.jpg

Merad

Platinum Member
May 31, 2010
I bought the IS yesterday. OK, I'm still about 200k short from actually BUYING it, but I did research it. I'll take a few days off around thursday/friday which should help replenish some gold.. I'm down to like 400 gold.

The IS is AWESOME. I know I bitched about it like 20 posts ago, but I was wrong, lol. :whiste:

It is of course terrible with stock gun (85mm I think?) so go for the turret upgrade ASAP to drop in the 122mm D-2-5T that you've hopefully already unlocked on the KV-3. Then start saving up for a rammer and the 122mm D-25T upgrade to improve your reload times.

Even with the stock tracks and engine it's probably the fastest & most maneuverable heavy tank... it only gets better with upgrades. Playstyle is quite a bit different from the KV/KV-3, but after you get used to it man-oh-man the awesomeness flows forth...

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
Merad: The T32 in it's current state would give a fully upgraded IS a run for it's money in speed/manueverability stakes.

Been grinding experience on my SU-152 to pick up my 122mm guns which will help my ISU-152 unlock the BL-10 faster. About 28k away from finishing off both 122mm guns and just 47k away from my BL-10 of instant killing.

slag

Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Maybe I missed it, but whats with all the extra gold as of late? Is this part of the 12 days of Christmas or something?

I'm not complaining at all, quite the contrary. :)

Fatdog

Golden Member
Nov 10, 2000
It's a gift from the developers. 500 gold a day till after Christmas I think. There's a post on it in the WOT forums.

Creig

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
FINALLY was able to build up enough XP in my KV to get the S-51. Man, I think I've spent more time in that slow KV than any other 3 tanks combined. But so far, the S-51 is kinda fun.

Ironically, I hate arty. I think they should be limited to 1 per side per game. The reason I spent so much time in the KV to get the S-51 is so that I can now specifically hunt arty and do it from anywhere on the map. Here's my procedure: I'll take a shot at an enemy tank. Then, while I'm reloading, I'll search for enemy arty tracers. If I spot one, I'll fire on him as soon as I'm done loading. If I haven't spotted one by the time I've reloaded, I'll fire on another tank and go searching for arty again. Lather, rinse, repeat.

My very first shot with my S-51 took out an enemy S-51. Auspicious beginning. :)

Creig

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Any tips for tracing enemy tracers?
Before every match, I put out an announcement to my team that I'll gladly try to take out enemy arty, but they have to help me by pinging the map where they think they see a tracer come from.

If nobody is pinging, what I'll do is zoom out to maximum view range and watch a likely location. If an enemy arty shoots from there, you will see where the shot originates and heads out. Simply aim for a spot maybe 10' behind where you saw the shot start from and shoot.

Also, when you're shooting at an enemy tank and a friendly tank is nearby, you may see an artillery shot come zooming in. Take note of the general direction it came from and look for a likely hiding spot along that line. Then watch that area for the next shot he takes.

I'm hardly an SPG expert, so maybe somebody with more experience can add more or explain in better detail.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
I've recently started playing and the game is pretty fun, but very frustrating at times. Rocking a little Pzkpfw II, a panzerjaeger I and a bison artillery, and more often than not I find myself getting blown to smithereens out of nowhere either by artillery or AT guns. I've read through some of the applicable guides (no medium tanks for me yet...) and I have a very general question....

How do I make money?

I've unlocked some of the research options and would like to buy a Marder II or a Pzkpfw III, but those are like 80k, and I'm only make a little over 2k per battle if I lose (maybe 3-4k if I win).

Really like the big german tanks so I'd like to keep going down to the heavier tanks, but it seems right now I can barely afford repairs and ammo, much less save up 80k... :\ with the gold from the christmas bonus I should be able to get a premium account, so that will help a bit... but is it normal for a light tank to only get piddly amounts of money per game?

ayabe

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
I've recently started playing and the game is pretty fun, but very frustrating at times. Rocking a little Pzkpfw II, a panzerjaeger I and a bison artillery, and more often than not I find myself getting blown to smithereens out of nowhere either by artillery or AT guns. I've read through some of the applicable guides (no medium tanks for me yet...) and I have a very general question....

How do I make money?

I've unlocked some of the research options and would like to buy a Marder II or a Pzkpfw III, but those are like 80k, and I'm only make a little over 2k per battle if I lose (maybe 3-4k if I win).

Really like the big german tanks so I'd like to keep going down to the heavier tanks, but it seems right now I can barely afford repairs and ammo, much less save up 80k... :\ with the gold from the christmas bonus I should be able to get a premium account, so that will help a bit... but is it normal for a light tank to only get piddly amounts of money per game?

It's slow starting out and IMHO premium is mandatory, especially if you aren't someone who has to play every day. I just pay the 250 gold to unlock premium on the days that I can play for more than an hour. Don't waste your gold converting to cash, it's not worth it.

Once you get the to PIII, it'll be easier to make money.

PlasmaBomb

Lifer
Nov 19, 2004
^ You are still better to buy a month of premium at a time, then you will accrue extra gold to spend on crew or other niceties...

Merad

Platinum Member
May 31, 2010
With the Christmas special or whatever it is, you only need to save gold for a week now to get a month of premium...

Am I reading this right that they're adding integrated voice? Considering that the average IQ of in game chat is lucky to be 0 how many of you are really going to turn that on...? Edit: Nevermind, looks like it's just for platoons.

And I really with they'd let us remap keys. It isn't that hard to program guys... seriously.

Last edited:

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
Someone do me a favor and post when patch is live and servers back up. I always get confused about these time zones and such.

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
Someone do me a favor and post when patch is live and servers back up. I always get confused about these time zones and such.

The servers should go down in 2 1/2 hours from now.

They should come back up in 11 1/2 hours from now.

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
The servers should go down in 2 1/2 hours from now.

They should come back up in 11 1/2 hours from now.

Okay, so for USA east coast it starts 4am and ends 3pm. I guess tomorrow when I get up its a day of watching some tv shows I have recorded. Then off to work in the afternoon and then log on after work tomorrow night. See ya then! :)