[MMO] Starwars Galaxies - dead December 15th 2011

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
Lucas Arts is behind this, they are a pretty shitty company in regards to gaming these days. They probably had a hand in the NGE as well, trying to "mainstream" it and appeal to everyone.

Old Lucas Arts adventure games, how I miss thee :(

Beev

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2006
I would gladly have paid to play both.

You are very, very much in the minority there. Ending SWG will help ToR get better numbers. And given that you can just have a SOE Station Pass to play any/all of their MMO's, they won't even lose all of their subscriptions once they close the servers because people will still keep their accounts for EQ, etc.

This absolutely was a good business move on their part, even though it's a shitty thing to do to loyal customers and fans of SWG (I loved SWG at launch).

coloumb

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
SWG was the first MMO to keep me interested up until the NGE - that's when I abandoned ship. I had tried UO [didn't like the isometric view] and AC [too bland with low resolution graphics] but just couldn't keep my interest.

What I really like about SWG is there was no "end game" - it was a sand box with player generated content.

Good memories:

- Seeing Master Creature Handler walk through Moenia with a Rancor and obliterating imperial scum with ATST's. :D
- Needing a Master Doctor to make the run to the Tusken Fort in case you died and needed a rez. :D
- Training my own rancor and grauls [during profession grind to open jedi character slot]
- When Lok, Dathomir, Yavin, and Dantooine were very dangerous within 50 paces of the starport. You would need a large group of people just to survive.
- Galactic Battles - Bases, Faction Armor/Pets - I thought it was ridiculous people could have ATST's for pets.
- Crafting system
- Player Housing/Cities
- Vehicles
- JTL
- Resource harvesting - I enjoyed trying to find uber resources [still never figured out how some people managed to dupe resources - but I read stories about how people used dupes to generate A LOT of real world currency]
- Jedi slot - my character was hunted twice, but never killed. I played the character very carefully and very paranoid [I think I had at least 1 house on each of the planets near the least used starports and I would only level on very remote areas on the high end planets - Dathomir, Yavin, etc]. Was a fun character to play when SOE wasn't screwing around to make them less powerful than they should be.

Oh well - not surprised it's being shut down though. I think they would've shut it down even if SWTOR wasn't being worked on.

microAmp

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2000
Reading all this brought back some more memories. Did anyone ever solo the Corellian Corvette? I was able to pull it off before they fixed that bug, got that nifty speeder, AV-21 (thanks google).

After I got it, I cranked up all the video settings, brought my system to a crawl, Athlon64? 9700 Pro, took a screenshot and submitted it for the weekly (daily?) screenshots to be shown on SWG main website, my screenshot was good enough to make the cut. :)

http://images.wikia.com/starwars/images/9/9d/Av21landspeeder.jpg

Last edited:

CVSiN

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2004
used to love that game... man I miss the old version of it..

great fun PVP battles.. fun missions.. no jedi grinding (yet) just a real fun game in the SW universe..

huge player owned cities with dedicated craters supporting the industry..
why oh why did they do the NGE.. that was the end of it all..

Nik

Lifer
Jun 5, 2006
Reading all this brought back some more memories. Did anyone ever solo the Corellian Corvette? I was able to pull it off before they fixed that bug, got that nifty speeder, AV-21 (thanks google).

After I got it, I cranked up all the video settings, brought my system to a crawl, Athlon64? 9700 Pro, took a screenshot and submitted it for the weekly (daily?) screenshots to be shown on SWG main website, my screenshot was good enough to make the cut. :)

http://images.wikia.com/starwars/images/9/9d/Av21landspeeder.jpg

Ya. Both the pilot ace mission to destroy the vette and the "ground combat" vette assault mission can be solo'd. The vette used to be something requiring a group, but if I can solo it on my jedi, I know I can do it on my BH.