MMO factions, why not more than two

mattpegher

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2006
Given some of the MMOs in the past and the games there based on, why not have more than two factions. I can imagine a setup where several factions exist and your options for PVP depend on which faction you face. Open PVP for hostile factions, with save zones patrolled by non-elite guards near your own territories. The question is how to handle neutral factions. Turn-on PVP if a guard or certain targets are attacked. The interesting thing would be creating some sort of wanted list for players. If you engage in heavily in pvp or attack a number of neutral targets you get listed and your PVP is always on for these factions.

Beev

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2006
Maybe Universe of Starcraft will have 3 ;)

I can dream can't I?

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002
If it is to be done right then I think it would need to be done by those with a lot of experience. Unless you make identical classes for each faction, I shudder at the thought of the class balance issues.

Onita

Golden Member
Feb 24, 2004
DAoC had 3. I'd guess that MMO's don't often have more than 2 because of balance issues.

ggnl

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2004
Originally posted by: rpkelly
DAoC had 3. I'd guess that MMO's don't often have more than 2 because of balance issues.

Balance issues was my guess too. It's hard enough to get class and population balance right on just 2 factions.

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002
Originally posted by: Czar
read your post again, and yes, what you are describing is eve online

It is easier when the MMO leans far more towards a PvP game. When trying to hit somewhere in the middle between PvE and PvP then it can get much harder.

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
My guess is balance issue would be the single biggest headache. DAoC has 3 factions and Mythic had balance issues from the outset. I guess if all the realms/factions (or whatever you want to call them) had the same classes with all the same features then it might not have so many balance issues but then people would scream about not having any individuality or uniqueness to the classes for each side. WoW has had less balance issues IMO because the sameness amongst the classes (hunter, priest, druid, etc.,) for the two sides. Not that WoW is perfect or anything. It has had its share of problems but I just think they have had less issues than say DAoC and other MMOs. Just my opinion from playing various MMO games over the years.