MLK would be rolling over in his grave

acemcmac

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
I came home from work today on this rather bitter Philadelphia evening with my new BNC/Ethernet tester in hand and went straight for my junction where the cable comes into the house. I want to work up a complete tracing of all of the cable in my house.

Before I go any further, here's the makeup of my most immediate section of town:

• 50% lower income rental units inhabited by aftrican-american's, usually with a single mother of several as the head of household

15% vacant housing being rehabilitated and flipped

15% freshly renovated housing, rentals to young professionals (I bought one of these units and live in it alone)

20% brand new construction, almost half million dollar homes populated by the most successful of <35 year old yuppies.

Property values are still soaring due to massive class A commercial development, this was all I could afford and seemed like a good investment.... (hell, I walk 3 blocks to the 16 story tower I work in :))

anyhow...

While I was outside fiddling with the cables on the wall, standing in the front of the house on the sidewalk, I was surprised to see that I was the only white person out there. Even the regular drunks were nowhere to be seen.

Across the street a few elementary school kids were playing with a football, throwing it and laughing whenever the ball bounced off of one of my neighbor's brand new maximas (guess what color the maxima owner is?). There are half a dozen males in their early 20's standing on the corner across the street hustling something.

A few middle school aged kids approached me and tried to "talk white" to me about how much "fun" they had in school today. To anyone who hasn't overheard this, it's when someone who has Ebonics so deeply ingrained into their vocabulary, that they can do a satire of proper English to make fun of white people. I tried to be friendly back (turn the other cheek?) but just frustrated them and they left me alone.

I see cops all of the time around here. We have armed robberies and home invasions all of the time. Developers, flippers and people like me are just pouring money into the neighborhood, trying to make this a nice place to live, but until the landlords start evicting, rehabbing and selling themselves, this place is still going to be filled with this kind of crap....

Cliffs:
1) Ace lives in a really interesting neighborhood
2) Ace gets made fun of for being white
3) Ace is depressed that the youth in his neighborhood are bigoted and fears for a future in which these kids will be adults.
4) Ace sleeps with an AK-47 praying that he never has to shoot some greedy kid with it because the kid wants Ace's electronics.

Platypus

Lifer
Apr 26, 2001
I put my response to your thread in my signature :)

Actually, I don't really agree with your thread title; compare 50 years ago to today, while racism/bigotry/hate will never go away fully, it takes time to bleed out the ignorance from society.

acemcmac

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
Originally posted by: Platypus

Actually, I don't really agree with your thread title; compare 50 years ago to today, while racism/bigotry/hate will never go away fully, it takes time to bleed out the ignorance from society.

Gangster rap set our whole society back more than I think has occurred to anyone yet...

acemcmac

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
Originally posted by: JS80
and MLK would be rolling over in his grave because?

It's 2006 and for whatever reasons (gangster rap, failure of social welfare, whatever), children are still being raised as bigots.

Platypus

Lifer
Apr 26, 2001
Originally posted by: acemcmac

Gangster rap set our whole society back more than I think has occurred to anyone yet...

I think NAACP and affirmative action did way more damage than gangster rap. Most intelligent people can tell the difference between gangster rap and the way the world really is.. much like they can tell the difference between CERTAIN country music and the mindset of most white people.

acemcmac

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003

I think NAACP and affirmative action did way more damage than gangster rap. Most intelligent people can tell the difference between gangster rap and the way the world really is.. much like they can tell the difference between CERTAIN country music and the mindset of most white people.

Tell that to the one boyfriend who parks his Lamborghini orange 1990 Ford Caprice, with tinted windows, 20" spinners and an eleventy-jillion watt sound system in front of my house.

I don't think a lot of people are capable of telling the difference.

You raise a good point about affirmative action, but I think that whole movement passed this social class buy. I don't think they have minority preferred hiring at McDonalds, do they?

There's no honor in working to make a buck anymore.

Platypus

Lifer
Apr 26, 2001

Tell that to the one boyfriend who parks his Lamborghini orange 1990 Ford Caprice, with tinted windows, 20" spinners and an eleventy-jillion watt sound system in front of my house.

It may be easy to see these things where you live but then again the opposite was true where I used to live.. if I saw one more jacked up pickup truck with a confederate flag, glass packs, blasting Toby Keith I was going to go insane.

These people are not in the majority out there, unfortunately they stick out like sore thumbs.

acemcmac

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003

It may be easy to see these things where you live but then again the opposite was true where I used to live.. if I saw one more jacked up pickup truck with a confederate flag, glass packs, blasting Toby Keith I was going to go insane.

These people are not in the majority out there, unfortunately they stick out like sore thumbs.

Good point.

Don't mind me, I'm just depressed. This is fvcked up. The drifters that I actually do talk to and sometimes give beer to, are constantly warning me to get a german sheppard or an alarm system because of the home-invasion rate around here :(

Platypus

Lifer
Apr 26, 2001

Good point.

Don't mind me, I'm just depressed. This is fvcked up.

Racial intolerance, hate, ignorance.. these are the worst problems our world will ever face, I'm not trying to prove you wrong or anything but rather give a counterpoint to the situation you see every day. I live in Chicago now so I get all kinds of stuff around here.

If only the people in our world had more patience and compassion for each other.. but that's not going to happen as long as there are programs out there that continually drive a wedge between different races/classes/creeds under the guise of equality. The system is very broken but much like anything that requires hard work to remedy, it won't happen overnight and most definetly not within our lifetimes.

These concepts seem alien to people who've only known the opposite to be true their entire lives :(

On a more serious note, you may want to consider finding a new place to live

DainBramaged

Lifer
Jun 19, 2003

Are you saying that you really DON'T like David Allen Coe? And here we spent all those hours making love to his sweet sounds.

Ronstang

Lifer
Jul 8, 2000
Blacks are going to have to actually do something if they want to go anywhere.....sitting around for the last 40 years expecting handouts and preferential treatment hasn't done anything except make many of them a new kind of slave.

acemcmac

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
Originally posted by: Ronstang
Blacks are going to have to actually do something if they want to go anywhere.....sitting around for the last 40 years expecting handouts and preferential treatment hasn't done anything except make many of them a new kind of slave.

A good number of them are. My team's storage engineer is a black guy. He's the only guy in the company I have to get on my hands and knees to get anything out of- BACKEND DISK SPACE DAMNIT!

KarenMarie

Elite Member
Sep 20, 2003
oh... you live in an 'entitlement' neighborhood.

they are entitled to everything and if the government doesnt give it to them, they will take it from those who worked for it.

Goosemaster

Lifer
Apr 10, 2001
Originally posted by: KarenMarie
oh... you live in an 'entitlement' neighborhood.

they are entitled to everything and if the government doesnt give it to them, they will take it from those who worked for it.

The key is, and this is referencing Ronstang's response too, ther are many black people out there that are making great strides and have achieved equality and even superiority to other races in their feild.

I realize that a large percentage of minorities are failures, but let's not ignore the good ones as if they don't exist.

I think King would be happy that many blacks, the ones who care and love and teach and give and share etc, are now free to to do just that.

He lived at a time when those freedoms were noexistant.

Yeah, sure, on the surface, some fumducks ruin their cultures reputation for the rest, but there are many many sucess stories.

*stands off of pulpit*

*notices that on one is watching said pulpit*

*runs off with pulpit and tries to pawn it off to some tourists on S. St.*

KarenMarie

Elite Member
Sep 20, 2003
To be honest... I was not focusing on any color in the OP. I got:

single mother households
Disrespecting other ppls property
armed robbery
home invasions

I don't care what color they are. It is the attitude of entitlement I was commenting on.

mercanucaribe

Banned
Oct 20, 2004
So what does race have to do with it? You think it would be any different if the single mothers were white and living in trailers? What if the guys hustling were rednecks drinking beer and driving their 4 wheelers on peoples lawns? Blaming a bad neighborhood on race = racism.

Gooberlx2

Lifer
May 4, 2001
Originally posted by: mercanucaribe
So what does race have to do with it? You think it would be any different if the single mothers were white and living in trailers? What if the guys hustling were rednecks drinking beer and driving their 4 wheelers on peoples lawns? Blaming a bad neighborhood on race = racism.

I don't think he is blaming anything on a particular race. Rather lamenting the fact that a particular race seems to be stuck in a particular situation, where he lives. As such, he's saying that MLK would roll in his grave, 'cause it seems to spit in the face of what they worked towards during his time.

Anyway, see what the developer forecast says. If you're in a rejuvination district, eventually all the landlords will be bought out or pushed out and then you'll be sitting on a gold mine. Lots of that going on in Denver too.

Aharami

Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
Originally posted by: JS80
and MLK would be rolling over in his grave because?

It's 2006 and for whatever reasons (gangster rap, failure of social welfare, whatever), children are still being raised as bigots.

i equate the innercity black population to the redneck white population of bumblefvuk, America. Both are ignorant and bigoted toward anyone not belonging to their own race. Both are extremes of a race, but ironically, both are similar. Now if you go to a nice part of America, take suburban NJ as an example since thats what I have experience with, you'll find that people of all races are educated and successful

Aharami

Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
Originally posted by: Ronstang

same thing can be said about the trailer-trash redneck white population. Not all black people are looking for handouts. The majority of black people I come in contact with on a daily basis are highly educated and very successful.

homestarmy

Diamond Member
Apr 16, 2004
artwilbur.com
Too bad that if they made fun of you like that, then beat the hell out of you, it would never ever be classified as a hate crime.

When I was growing up in Palm Beach, blacks used to beat up white kids quite a lot... funny they never called those hate crimes (not sure if the word was around yet).