MLB scandal, World Series winning Astros were stealing signs... give back those rings?

Should everyone on the 2017 Houston Astros who received a World Series ring have to return it?

• Total voters

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Saw the story on NBC network news tonight. The 2017 World Series champion Houston Astros have been discovered as cheating. They had cameras spying on the signs. Those signs were relayed by text message and their batters were alerted to the sign by banging on a trash can.

MLB's suspending brass, Astros organization is firing some people.

MLB should ask for all the rings back! Every one.

If you were a player, you were probably afraid to say anything. But you were a participant. You heard the banging on the trash can telling you if it was a fastball, a slider or a change up, etc. You should not have expected a World Series championship ring. You should be fine with having to give it back.

They have besmirched baseball, they have desecrated the game. What kind of message is this to the youth of America? We are living in dark times, make no mistake about it.

Would you be proud to wear that ring?

Last edited:

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
so it's basically the MLB version of the patriots in the NFL? against the spirit of the game for sure, but teams can adapt. they can fire whomever, i don't care. i am definitely not invested in sports that much - i just don't want this to be a national headline vs trump assassinating a foreign military official.
i mean as far as protecting information goes, if you're broadcasting in the open, it's only a matter of time till someone cracks the code, right? :p

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Oh, I don't want to take anything away from the top headline nature of the continuing saga of the incompetence of the denizen of the White House. That deserves top billing as long as he's there, no question.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
managed to survive 20 years of steroids without baseball dying off - do the red sox also need to give back all their rings this century?

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Cheating in sports is so persuasive it's insane.

They should all have to give up their playoff bonuses. Any player that got the trash can signal should be suspended at least a game per at bat.

Astros should lose a lot more draft picks and be fined hardcore.

Last edited:

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
The rings should be gathered up, melted down, and mixed with lead. The lead should be poured into a ragged hole beneath the Astros’ home plate to remind the Astros of how they debased the game. Or something.

Reactions: dank69

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
managed to survive 20 years of steroids without baseball dying off - do the red sox also need to give back all their rings this century?
No, nowhere near as egregious a sin. I also like Barry Bonds.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Every player that benefitted should be banned from the game. Every coach involved should be banned from the game. For life. Wayyyy more egregious than what Rose did. Cork your bat? Shoot some roids? Steal some signs? GTFO.

Reactions: Muse and Homerboy
Nov 8, 2012
Baseball kinda just sucks these days. I still love a good Cubs game though....

I find it nuts that teams like Yankees and Red Sox can effectively buy ANY player that they desire, while the other 30 or so teams can't.

Anyhow this definitely made me laugh - The ONE and only win that the Astros have will forever have an asterisk next to it hehe

And yeah - cheating in sports is so rampant from a 'roids perspective... Not using that to justify this cheating in the slightest, just saying that cheating is so rampant these days overall.

Reactions: Muse

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
The punishments hardly fit the crime. Players should have had significant suspensions if not bans. They literally explained it as "player driven" and then the players get no punishment? Makes no sense. But the players make the league money and you can't kill the cash cow. The Astros basically bought a WS Title for $5M and the cost of a GM and manager. Not much of a deterrent for future players/owners I'd say.

The Red Sox (Cora) are going to get hammered too.

Dodgers are the real losers here.

Reactions: Zorba

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
in light of this scandal, does any reevaluation of the Astros' records put the Brewers in the Super Bowl?

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
The punishments hardly fit the crime. Players should have had significant suspensions if not bans. They literally explained it as "player driven" and then the players get no punishment? Makes no sense. But the players make the league money and you can't kill the cash cow. The Astros basically bought a WS Title for $5M and the cost of a GM and manager. Not much of a deterrent for future players/owners I'd say.

The Red Sox (Cora) are going to get hammered too.

Dodgers are the real losers here.

Player suspensions would have been contested by the union. The penalties were the maximum allowed, and the Astros also lost 2 draft picks. Now just need to put a permanent asterisk next to that 2017 title.

Indus

Diamond Member
May 11, 2002
Baseball kinda just sucks these days. I still love a good Cubs game though....

I find it nuts that teams like Yankees and Red Sox can effectively buy ANY player that they desire, while the other 30 or so teams can't.

Anyhow this definitely made me laugh - The ONE and only win that the Astros have will forever have an asterisk next to it hehe

And yeah - cheating in sports is so rampant from a 'roids perspective... Not using that to justify this cheating in the slightest, just saying that cheating is so rampant these days overall.

It's not baseball alone.

Real Madrid, Barcelona, PSG can buy any player they want.

Take a look at the 222 million euros they paid for Neymar!

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Player suspensions would have been contested by the union. The penalties were the maximum allowed, and the Astros also lost 2 draft picks. Now just need to put a permanent asterisk next to that 2017 title.

Draft picks me virtually nothing in the MLB. I agree that suspensions would have been contested. Buying that as an excuse, you are admitting that the players hold all the power and are clearly untouchable. So what's the deterrent for a player(s) in the future to cheat? Player uses PEDs and he gets suspended. Player (entire roster) systemically cheat and refine it over 100s of games and they get a WS, increased stats and a bigger paycheck + more endorsements?

Reactions: Zorba

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
They have besmirched baseball, they have desecrated the game. What kind of message is this to the youth of America? We are living in dark times, make no mistake about it.
How many yutes even follow baseball these days?

Jan 25, 2011
Nov 8, 2012
Kind of agree with this... Comes from Logan morriesy of the Phillies I believe.

1579015428709.png

Sort of agree, sort of disagree. I mean - this concept isn't anything new, it's been a common practice for when you have a guy on 2nd base to watch the signs and try to communicate back as well.

The problem obviously is bringing in a professional live video camera and having it stream back to your dugout in real time.

Reactions: dank69