ml and cc are not the same

Discussion in 'Highly Technical' started by Jerboy, Mar 11, 2002.

1. Jerboy

Jerboy Banned

In a regular context, we assume that ml and cc are equilvalent. They're actually not. I read this somewhere on the net or in a book. The particular source said that they're different by very minute quantity. This popped into my mind today, because a data on water I was reading indicates the difference. It states that density of water at 3.98°C is 1.000000g/ml or 0.999972g/cc. If you don't believe me, look in Merck Index 12th edition, chemical # 10175, water.

I know I read it once already, but I'd like the exactly number in the book again. I didn't find anything on Google. Just about everything I found there assumed ml=cc.

2. 454Casull

454Casull Banned

Maybe the editor decided to have some fun. And this belongs in HT? :)

3. Demon-Xanth

Demon-Xanth Lifer

They did thier calculations on an early Pentium

4. ElFenix

ElFenix Elite Member<br> Super Moderator<br>Off Topic
    Super Moderator

ummm... didn't the french define a mL = cm^3? merck can't just redefine it.

yet another indication that companies are becoming too powerful.

5. highwire

highwire Senior member

Yes, this difference between the milliliter and the cubic centimeter was well known among the well trained.

An old chem. textbook has the definition as 1 milliliter = 1.000027 cc.
    I looked at a few pages at link to try to sort it out. Not much help with the old definitions.
    I think, with SI/MKS and the redefinition of the meter, etc., they are now the same. However, it is still murky to me just what the EXACT weight/density of water is under the SI.

Edit: Ok, the answer is in your orig post. water weighs a little less than 1 gram/cc. The ml had been defined as the volume of 1 gram of water - a small amount larger than 1 cc.

6. Jerboy

Jerboy Banned

<< Yes, this difference between the milliliter and the cubic centimeter was well known among the well trained.

An old chem. textbook has the definition as 1 milliliter = 1.000027 cc.
    I looked at a few pages at link to try to sort it out. Not much help with the old definitions.
    I think, with SI/MKS and the redefinition of the meter, etc., they are now the same. However, it is still murky to me just what the EXACT weight/density of water is under the SI.

Edit: Ok, the answer is in your orig post. water weighs a little less than 1 gram/cc. The ml had been defined as the volume of 1 gram of water - a small amount larger than 1 cc.
    >>

Thanks highwire. Headsup from someone was exactly what I needed. Now can somebody come up with a few more credible sites? Didn't find anything on National Institutes of Standards and Technology homepage.

7. highwire

highwire Senior member

Here is another link - the history of the liter: Text

Interesting site for the history of other units as well. One who was involved with making the meter met the guillotine. Envy reigned then in France as a national policy of madness.

8. exp

exp Platinum Member

Interesting...