Mixing ram 2x1gb 2x2gb

mealsonwheels

Apr 10, 2006
I just got Mushkin Ascent 2x2GB and i would like to run it with my old GSkill 2x1GB ram; both sets are DDR2 1066. Im running both sets together right now with my Q6600 @ 3.0ghz and everything seems to running ok but then again its a fresh install of vista 64 so i dont have any games/programs that would give me problems. My question is does anyone else here run mix matched sets without any problems?

BlueAcolyte

Platinum Member
Nov 19, 2007
Should not give you any problem. Make sure to re-check your OC as 4 sticks of RAM and a quad-core are tough on the motherboard.

vj8usa

Dec 19, 2005
I've been running 2x1+2x2 for a few months now with no issues. Like BlueAcolyte mentioned, however, populating all your RAM slots places a higher load on the northbridge, and you might find yourself having to increase voltages to keep an OC stable (though 3.0 isn't that high of an OC, so you should be fine).

mealsonwheels

Apr 10, 2006
Originally posted by: vj8usa
you might find yourself having to increase voltages to keep an OC stable (though 3.0 isn't that high of an OC, so you should be fine).

I think im going to try that. XP on 2 gigs seemed faster than this when it comes to loading web pages. Im installing all my games right now so tomorrow will be the true test of 6 gigs (6 gigs sounds so good to me :p)

One more thing, im only running ddr2 800 right now. I think i need to adjust my memory multiplier to get 1066, i have it had 2.0 right now which i prefer but i really want to get the most out of my ram.