Mixing CC with DC is a BAD idea... here's why.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
https://forums.anandtech.com/thread...e-are-the-lambos.2558209/page-6#post-39882364

The gov't.

Let's just say, that if some DC projects, start issuing CC for completing DC tasks (some people might ask, why not use DC as a PoW algo, so that those compute cycles aren't wasted, and they do have a point there), BUT... since the gov't has started attempting to tax CC transactions, possibly including mining/creating CC, could they not also decide to tax DC WUs completed, IFF those earn CC rewards?

This is a very touchy subject among many of you, and I feel, a bit of a tricky subject to navigate.

DC'ers, that I know of, DONATE their time, effort, and $$$ (in the form of purchasing PCs, running them, providing space and power for them) to causes they believe in, however varied.

It would be a darn shame, if after all of that sacrifice, in terms of time, effort (human and computer) and $$$, that the gov't would seek to tax the output of those efforts.

Thankfully, I think Stanford and Berkeley would oppose those measures.

Thoughts? Or should I not even mention the idea, lest somehow, someone in gov't would take note.

I guess we would all just have to incorporate tax-exempt foundations, to do our DC under, and therefore, personal contributions to said foundation would be tax-deductable? And all CC revenue would be tax-exempt, and able to be plied back into paying for electricity and computer components/upgrades? Just a thought.

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
I don't know enough about this to make a very meaningful comment, but I thought there was a way for projects to disallow their WUs being used for for-profit activity. I remember seeing a project (or projects) where Gridcoin is conspicuously much farther down in the rankings than usual.